Help

Forum >> Help >> spring training vs regular season pitching question   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
shikago

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I have 11 pitchers active/assigned to roles for spring training. But in my last game a non-active pitcher came in, threw 3 pitches, and of course got injured. Luckily it wasn't a 40 day injury...

Anyway, that got me wondering. How would this same situation be handled in the regular season? I'm guessing that the manager couldn't just pull someone out of the minors mid-game. And that a starter would be used instead.

I'd prefer that the same thing happen in spring training too, but it obviously doesn't. Is every single pitcher on your roster really dressed & ready to play in every single spring training game?
Endrju

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
"Is every single pitcher on your roster really dressed & ready to play in every single spring training game?"
Yes. The manager will use a 30 year old veteran who is of course not assigned a role in ST if there are no rested youngsters available. It comes helpful sometimes, when young pitchers have some tough games (like playing against 30yo ST lineups), and a veteran can come in and just eat the innings.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
11 pitchers really isn't enough for spring training given how many games they play. You might want to activate a couple more guys who are less critical (in case of injuries). During the season, with no one available in the pen, your starter would have just pitched 160 balls and had his arm fall off, LOL.
Tiger504

Kalamazoo Bloody Tigers
IV.7

Broken Bat Baseball
What happened was an unassigned pitcher came in. The same thing can happen in the regular season, IF you have unassigned pitchers on your ML roster. Most guys don't.

Considering the pace of spring training, 11 pitchers assigned to roles is not enough. 6 games every 4 days. You need a 6 man rotation and 6-8 guys in the pen.

If you have to use ML guys to eat innings bear in mind that relief pitchers suffer shorter injuries. Starting pitchers are the only guys that get hit with 35 game injuries. If injuries are your concern, and understandably they may be, this is something to consider when assigning roles. Without looking, your injured player should likely be back before the season starts.

Updated Tuesday, August 1 2017 @ 8:57:53 pm PDT
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Nice trick! I never noticed that.

Previous Page | Show All |