Help

Forum >> Help >> Defense question   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
amalric7

New York Lancers
IV.2

Broken Bat Baseball
Yes I'd play Navarro at 1B, doesn't have the range for OF or 2B and that good glove should play there just fine, while also keeping his bat in the lineup. I'd have Montanez in LF or DH with that fielding, and play Stern or Perkins in CF. Cano could play 1B or OF without much issue - the full 1B eligibility helps there, and 13 Range (while not ideal) will do in the outfield. Remember, Range is an aggregate, so the difference between a corner outfielder with 13 Range and one with 14 Range isn't big enough to be an issue.
lostraven

Corvallis Ravens
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Yeah, I didn't recognize until the middle of last season that I should have been training Navarro at first. As such, he only has a handful of games there under his belt.

Second base will be covered soon, after I retire Dimas. I seem to have a train of second base-eligible players waiting in the wings, so I don't know how many reps Navarro will get there. He's always been more or less a prospect without a real defensive home. And I hear you both on the OF range; my ballpark is relatively spacious in left field too.

So far it seems AP and amalric could go either way on who plays first. Anyone else?
wickersty

Deadwood Perambulators
II.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Between the two, if it were me, I would put Navarro at 1B and get the other guy off the field. But that's just me.
Tiger504

Kalamazoo Bloody Tigers
IV.7

Broken Bat Baseball
I'm not sold on Navarro or Stern. In short, Navarro because he's a behind the curve Latin player. I don't think he'll make his 14 pot. Stern because he's a LL 6 phenom that will likely come back to the pack at LL 4. Not that they aren't worth working with but I have my doubts. Navarro should be a 1B if he is going to make it. Start him against RHP and sit him against LHP at 1B. Cano can start 1B against LHP and DH against RHP. I am sold on Cano as an impact offensive player.

Updated Wednesday, August 9 2017 @ 11:02:15 am PDT
lostraven

Corvallis Ravens
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I hear you for sure, Tiger. Stern is a 100 percent a flier; I waiver claimed him, and he'll be on a relatively short leash. I want to see what he can do and then, if he can't hack it, I'll cut him. Navarro has long been a question mark in my system, and his development speed has been less than ideal. With the other talent I have currently, he may also end up being an unfortunate cut. But he'll get his chance too.

Thanks for the input so far, all! Going to make some tweaks based off what I've seen suggested.

Updated Wednesday, August 9 2017 @ 12:16:27 pm PDT
Squiddcatt

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I would put Navarro down in AAA for this season and train him their at first base he does not have as many at bats in AAA as I personally would like and he's 25 so you can't just listen to the recommend promotions.
lostraven

Corvallis Ravens
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
@Squiddcatt: Navarro is up because I need at minimum 13 position players on the active roster. If I move Navarro back to AAA I would have to shuttle someone else from AAA in or acquire another body. I agree that I'd like to give him more AAA time, but I have a roster crunch right now.

Edit: If I can somehow sort through my roster and figure out another cut, maybe I can move Navarro back to AAA and get a rental FA. TBD...

Updated Thursday, August 10 2017 @ 6:55:51 am PDT
Squiddcatt

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Oh okay
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Cano has a fantastic 1B build (despite handedness). Hitting ability is my primary deciding factor for who to play at 1B defensively ;) Cano is definitely the better hitter. Even if he reached his potential (unlikely) Navarro will never be as good a hitter as Cano.

Defensively I also like Cano better at first. 9 fielding is plenty for 1B. Once they get beyond some acceptable level of fielding, I actually think the range becomes more valuable at 1B than extra fielding.

Montanez is an attractive option, but without full experience at 1B and at 30 years old, he probably won't do any better than Cano (despite the handedness).

Navarro has a rough defensive build to work with, but given his age, handedness and his lack of experience at 1B, I would probably just keep him as an LF/DH/(emergency 2B). His best position probably would have been 1B, but he isn't a great 1B option. He is mediocre in LF, so just depends if you like his bat enough.
lostraven

Corvallis Ravens
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I'm absolutely still tweaking things, trying this and that to see what I can come up with.

I inevitably took @Squiddcatt's suggestion to heart and moved Navarro back down to AAA on August 10. In my typical "I'll take a brief flier on this player but don't have a real home for them" fashion, I had claimed Asian league Saburō Mizuguchi and plugged him in at 1B, just to get some data. He looks like he may have some real speed, but don't know if he'll be worth hanging on to for my team. He'll probably get cut.

It's interesting to hear @Rock777's take: "9 fielding is plenty for 1B. Once they get beyond some acceptable level of fielding, I actually think the range becomes more valuable at 1B than extra fielding." I'm curious if others are on a similar page. Perhaps I'll move Cano back to 1B and figure out what I'm going to do for DH, which is easier to fill.

Agree with everything that's been said about Navarro. He's a speedster with no real defensive home. I still don't know what I'll do with him; he may turn into an unfortunate cut, or he may be a DH in the short term. At this point, I may make a cut of Mizuguchi or someone else and see if I can fish for a DH I can plug in now.

Previous Page | Show All |