Help

Forum >> Help >> Offense mystery   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Tiger504

Kalamazoo Bloody Tigers
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
My offense has been an ongoing puzzle. Except last season, we were pretty solid last season. Am I simply playing too many young guys this season or What? I'm just kinda lost about it at the moment.
lostraven

Corvallis Ravens
II.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Short on time, but just a couple of quick comments:

1. Team age looks similar to mine, so maybe not so much age? Where the youth is most noticeable is with your pitching, with six players 25 or younger. They all appear to still be in some stage of development SI-wise. However, some other things stand out, primarily some HR-proneness in several of them, which can't be especially good for III, II, and Legends. (Never good, but I'm guessing in the upper leagues you'll be made to pay by throwing HR-prone pitchers out there.) In particular Jansen, Hardin, and Esquivel stand out. Last year looked like a HR derby for many of them. For sure, the combination of low Movement with a fastball and low GB rate yields HR. It takes quite a bit to overcome that. I have Dunbar, for example, who while is holding his own in LLIV may very well look worse in III. I've cut two promising looking pitchers over the last couple of seasons primarily because of that low Movement issue. A low Change of Speed as in Jansen can be a little more forgiving, but only a little.

Add to that you have short 6' fences and 325' to the corners, with turf...

2. I take it back a little, some of your starting offense looks a little young too. Zhou needs to fill out some more. I suspect Yamaguchi's AVG and OBP aren't going to get much better over time; development looks near tapped out there. MarroquĂ­n has a little more offensive growth to do.

3. League context: You have low error totals so far, but so does Frankfort and Lake Charles. Your young hitters have a little less wiggle room against good defenses. No coincidence that the current top three in your division have good team ERAs as well. I can also see differences in SLG and OPS.

That doesn't point specifically to what you can do to improve now, but it looks like (loosely speaking) your giving up big hits and not getting a lot of offensive opportunities. But your defense is doing its job!

Oh, and it's still relatively early.

Previous Page | Show All |