Help

Forum >> Help >> Evaluating my minors   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Gambler75

Brockton Bombers
V.15

Broken Bat Baseball
Batters:

R/R 22yo Yamaguchi (88/14) - DH/1B, few points tied up in D, should potentially be a great DH, with around 10 additional points left worst case for Bct/Dsc.

S/R 21yo Kamealoha (82/14) - 2B, doesn't like to steal but should be solid D and very good contact hitter.

L/L 24yo Ruiz (80/12) - OF/1B, decent range, may have trouble filling out BC/PD, with potentially as few as 6 points between them left.

L/L 22yo Schmidt (79/12) - OF, CF type range and arm, loves to steal - but likely will need a lot of the "free" points to land in PD to make a leadoff man.

S/R 17yo Bowen (75/13) - SS, should make for an excellent up the middle D paired with Kamealoha, and provide a solid contact hitter with okay speed. Way ahead of pace for his age.

R/R 24yo Luna (74/12) - SS, missing all of 2030 on the wire, then gaining only 1 point in 2031 pretty much doomed him, but he was my worst case scenario "lose an at bat" type defensive SS prospect.

R/R 21yo Estalella (71/12) - 3B/2B, low risk, low ceiling, utility infielder.

L/R 21yo Sharp (69/12) - 1B/DH, prolific slugger, but only good hitting, and a bit of points wasted on fielding, but should counteract being righty.

R/R 19yo Turner (66/13) - DH, vg hitter, aa power, fast and likes to steal. atrocious fielding, means plenty should be left over for BC/PD.

L/L 18yo Tanner (65/13) - OF/1B, likely weak offensively , but should be around 15/15/15 defense.

S/R 19yo Thompson (63/12) - C, only a 16 arm but good hit, decent slugging scout comments.

S/R 21yo Shultz (62/12) - 3B/2B, a bit behind on development, good hitter, slow, utility infielder type.

L/R 18yo Cheung (61/12) - OF/2B, great hitter, has speed, potentially a good leadoff.

R/R 18yo Penny (60/13) - DH/1B, vg hitter, pro slugger, decent speed, might be the most promising bat in my minors.

R/R 18yo Koch (41/13) - DH/1B, vg hitter, aa slugger, started with only 33 SI, but developed 8 points and tore thru rookie ball. Still a long way behind Penny/Turner, and is much, much slower than them.

Pitchers:

L - 25yo Vallejo (72/12) - unhittable fb, slow dev.

L - 23yo Viciedo (71/13) - unhittable fb, ba control, starter sta.

R - 19yo Rice (67/14) - majors fb, majors curve.

R - 23yo Garland (67/12) - strikeout fb, low sta.

R - 20yo Grant (58/13) - strikeout fb, majors curve.

L - 20yo Scott (52/12) - majors fb, majors slider.

R - 21yo Farmer (46/12) - majors fb, majors curve.

Trying to figure out 1-2 cuts, Luna seems obvious ... after that I'm a bit torn who's next.

Updated Friday, August 18 2017 @ 1:36:41 pm PDT
tokuchi

Smyrna Sounds
V.7

Broken Bat Baseball
Given your lack of pitching in the minors, I wouldn't touch any of the pitchers.

Luna is a cut. You still need to find a similar defender, but with better potential and some positive offensive report for the ss/2b (the position not covered by Bowden). Also teach Bowden 2b.

Shultz and Estalella are very similar players and I don't see why you need them both. I'd cut Estalella.

Schmidt and Tanner are your only OF with range + arm. I would keep them. On the other hand you have a surplus on the dh and you could cut some of them in the future.

TL;DR, if I were to cut only 2, these 2 would be:

1) Luna
2) Estalella

Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Penny is definitely a keeper. The closest you can come to a sure thing at 18 years old. Koch look promising as well after gaining 8 SI as a 17 year old. Very rare. Between the three, I would be most comfortable putting Turner in LF. He is on par with my typical LF defensively. That would enable you to get all three into the lineup in the future.

Luna is definitely a cut.

Shultz and Estella are both 3B. Shultz is a switch hitter, which is nice. Estella has very poor BC growth, so that is going to be his biggest weakness. Shultz is more of an unknown as this is his first year. Estella has plenty of minor league history to judge him on. I'd agree with cutting Estella.

Kameāloha arguably has a better 3B build as well. 13 range is a bit low for 2B. He looks like a keeper either way, but if you decide to train him up at 3B, Shultz also becomes expendable.

I highly doubt Ruiz will get 6 more points in BC & PD. In 6 seasons he has only grown 1 point in BC and 2 points in PD and power. I'd expect him to gain the same before the end of his career. So maxing out at 6 BC, 7 PD, and 8 power. Mediocre player a best despite the great hitting. I'd consider him expendable.

Tanner has a lot of SI in defensive skills for a 1B/OF. He is a POT 13, but I'd watch him. He also only has "above average overall potential", which is often a red flag. I suspect you will be upgrading from him before he ever reaches the minors, so while he looks ok right now, I would consider him expendable.

I don't like Vallejo's build, but you don't currently have anyone else ready to come up when the older guys start to fall apart. I'd look for an upgrade.

Garland and Scott also look somewhat mediocre and could be upgraded as well.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Just looked back at who I recommended you cut. Wasn't intentional, but all the "above average" guys were on my cut list. I currently have two "above average" POT guys in my minors; its not an absolute. "Red flag" might have been a bit strong, but it is an indicator.
Gambler75

Brockton Bombers
V.15

Broken Bat Baseball
Yeah I would love to have a 2B in the pipeline as good defensively as Cai is. Seems like with righty pitching on the mound, there's so many left/switch batters that 2B is more active than SS.

If Cheung had a "solid fielding", he'd probably be my current projected 2B, but as is he looks more like a LF to me, and an emergency 2B.

If Estalella gets the axe, then I'll probably get Kamealoha dual trained at 2B/3B but the "amazing in the field" feels wasted there, with SO many attempts going to 2B, more than 2:1 factor in my experience so far ... and that was mostly with 17/14/16 Echevarria manning 3B.

Shultz is working on 3B, and if that goes capital very soon - he'll probably work on getting a C, for injury only type duty. (Catchers seem to get injured at an alarming rate, I've twice had all 3 C eligible players concurrently injured)

Bowen as SS/2B seems like a no brainer, Cheung will keep working OF/2B dual eligibility, but really he's LF only in my eyes, so yeah a future 2B seems like a priority.

My stadium is a freaking barn, roughly PetCo Park dimensions - as I've got a fast, power deficient team as a whole, and with 19/16/15 range across, I've been taking advantage of the teams trying to hide awful corner outfielders ... doubling them to death, while hiding my bad pitching (lots of FB%). So I suppose I'm still in the mindset of looking at guys like Schmidt as proper OFs, with Ruiz/Cheung being sort of my "minimum range" at around 14.

I suppose I could change to Fenway like dimensions when the 1B/DH overload starts coming of age ... but I don't feel like the pitching I've currently got in the minors is going to be dominant, just serviceable outside perhaps Rice - and I'm rather liking having good defense (fewest runs allowed currently, with an ocean of difference between ERA and FIP)
Gambler75

Brockton Bombers
V.15

Broken Bat Baseball
I was leaning toward Luna, Estalella, and perhaps Farmer or Koch.

Those last 2 were my two highest developments last season at 8 each however ... so probably need to give them another season before pulling the plug there.
Gambler75

Brockton Bombers
V.15

Broken Bat Baseball
Also, if my team weren't taking injuries so often at C... I'd be looking at dumping Cisneros. Salary, age, and that 4/37, .108 average.

I probably need to find a stop gap catcher to fill in for a few seasons, between Rose/Pacheco getting old and Thompson being ready.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Schmidt has a nice defensive build for CF. Cheung has a nice LF build. It doesn't hurt that he has the ability to fill 2B in emergencies, but I would focus his development on OF to make sure he can play that position at least.

We each have our own strategies. At the end of the day I put a lot of value in offensive ability, so I end up putting less then optimal guys at corner OF (especially LF).

Farmer and Koch both look like good players to me. I would definitely put in a claim for Koch if you dropped him.

Previous Page | Show All |