Help

Forum >> Help >> Closer pitching in non-save situations   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
T40Flamelizard

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
This never happens. Why is that? And how can I fix it?

I'd really like to see my closer to enter a tie game in the 9th when I'm at home. Or occasionally when I'm up by 4 and he hasn't gotten work in a while.
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
It simply won't happen if you have him designated as a closer. If it's not a save situation, he won't come in. Period.

Your only option is to change him to a set-up guy with those parameters when you want. For what it's worth, I wish we could designate a closer to 0 RD in the 9th, too. That's precisely why I generally don't use a closer. This year I am using a closer, though, and he hasn't given up a run yet, so I'm not changing a thing while he continues his run.

Updated Monday, August 21 2017 @ 1:20:13 am PDT
Gambler75

Brockton Bombers
V.15

Broken Bat Baseball
I've had some luck changing mine from the "set according to role" to 9th / +0 / +3 for First Inning, Smallest RD, Largest RD, when I felt like my closer wasn't getting enough work.

That will do both home and away, but you could always just switch to those before a homestand, then go back to "according to role" for away.
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
What?! I tried that a long time ago and that never worked. If my guy blows a save this season, I'll mess around with those settings again. Until then we're sticking with the perfect status quo.
T40Flamelizard

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
That's interesting. I've tried exactly what you're saying, Gambler. Except I currently have it at 9th inning / 0 / 4 for first inning smallest RD largest RD. It still doesn't work for me. And I've tried it on and off since midway through last season with 3 as largest RD.

I guess what I understand from Mike is that you can run without a designated closer and just have multiple set up guys with 8th or 9th as first inning. Maybe that way it's less of an issue? Does it have any negative effects?
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
The down side to only using a modified approach with set-up guys is that they won't come in until a pitcher reaches his hook or pitch count. With a closer, they immediately come in at the set inning if it's a save situation.

Previous Page | Show All |