Help

Forum >> Help >> Pitch Count vs. Stamina Points   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Frankebasta

Kodiak Mules
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
It looks like this Stamina skill is not really meaningful: many times we complained about our opponents using their star SP on 4 (or even 3!!) days rest, only to throw a Complete game Shutout .
It is totally unrealistic, but in BB it works (if the SP is really on fire)

Someone speculated an higher pitching count will invite for more injuries, but there's no way to confirm or deny it

My suggestion is to leave the best SP in as long as possible
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
There is a lot of variation in performance not explained by stamina, but I do tend to at least start out setting my pitch count by it. I tend to play fairly conservatively with pitch counts though, even if I am a bit more aggressive in frequency of starts. I start around:

16+: 120 pitches
14-15: 110 pitches
12-13: 100 pitches
10-11: 90 pitches
Below 10: 75 pitches

I then see after a few starts whether they are struggling or still dominating towards the ends of their outings and adjust downwards or upwards accordingly. I never go above 120 simply because I want my pitchers ready for their next start and the few times that it happened they performed poorly in their next games. I don't have a large enough sample to prove correlation, but I also tend to want my bullpen to earn their spots after 120 pitches (just my preference).

I do have an odd system with relievers that totally ignores stamina, I set every single one of them to 30 pitches and 2 hook (outside LRs who get 50 and 4). I expect 30 pitches out of anyone who plays for me, and I have a short leash for even my star relievers having off-nights. I have undoubtedly lost games at times due to this system, but it is a system I have stuck with since 2018 when I was in LL VI. Under this system until last season I arguably had one of the most consistently high performing bullpens in BB (whether it was due to the talent or the system is the arguable part, not whether it performed well). The last two seasons the system has failed much more often, but I am dubious on replacing it yet considering how far I got under it, and considering I really don't know what the best alternative would be.
Cactusguy21

Presque Isle Vikings
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
I also do something interesting with my bullpen. Nearly every pitcher has a 15 pitch count and a 2 hook. I do this because none of my relievers are really that great, and so cycling through them quickly for whatever reason seems to work best at minimizing the damage. Since I made this change, my bullpen has gone from league-worst to acceptable.
oreohowell

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Thanks to all who replied. I made some changes in the counts of some of my pitchers. As a result since I the changes my bullpen has been a little better but of course my batters felt the need to forget how to hit the ball.

Updated Saturday, September 16 2017 @ 10:25:42 pm PDT
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
My hitters do that constantly, it is why I started the Venting Thread. Then when my hitters remember again I post this:

1*snTXFElFuQLSFDnvZKJ6IA.png
lostraven

Corvallis Ravens
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
@newtman: Buhahaha!
Endrju

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I assumed that 15 stamina is good enough to go 110. For each point of stamina I add or subtract 5 pitches. That's a baseline.

Then I add or subtract based on performance. Rookies have their pitch count lowered, I usually don't give them more than 100. Veterans or possible stars will have the count raised, like Sly, who has it set at 135 with 19 stam, or Merrill who is at 125 with 17 stam. This has worked pretty well so far :)

Edit:
For relievers i set hard limits, 80 for LR, 55 for MR, 40 for setup and 35 for closer. I change those sometimes if I put a starter in those roles or I have a guy with really low stamina.

Updated Sunday, September 17 2017 @ 10:06:28 am PDT
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
No matter what you choose to start with, its worth tweaking (because there is always some unknown variance in their skills). If you see a guy seems to fall off at the end of a game, ratchet him down. If he blows through his last few inning regularly, then try giving him a longer leash.
wil_m

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
From my experience would agree that Stamina and Pitch Count are related. And also that that a starter being hot or cold is also related.

If I have starter with stamina of 18 who is cold I will cut his pitch count to around 100. ( I will also lower his hook setting )

But if he is hot or very hot I will consider raising his pitch count to what his stamina can handle. for a stamina of 17 or 18 - for me - that would be a pitch count of 110 or 115.

It could be higher for stamina 18 for a hot starter but I just like to go the bullpen in late innings.

So that brings up another thing to consider. If you have a workhorse with high stamina but you want your bullpen to enter the game more often in late innings when that starter pitches - do not max out his available pitches. Because that will prevent your bullpen from entering the game ( unless he gets pulled due to the hook of course. But when pulled that way the damage is all ready done. You may want your bullpen to start those late innings instead )

Updated Saturday, September 23 2017 @ 9:01:06 am PDT
amalric7

New York Lancers
IV.2

Broken Bat Baseball
I have no pitchers with Stamina higher than 15, and in any event I tend to give them a 110 pitch limit regardless. Main reason for this was it took me a few seasons to get a reliable bullpen, and I was fed up of my starter dropping out after a QS and the pen immediately blowing the game. Happens less these days but this last half season it has become a problem again.

Previous Page | Show All |