Help

Forum >> Help >> evaluation   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
chris_smeaton

Garden Grove Highlanders
VI.9

Broken Bat Baseball
i have been playing for several seasons now, but I have not been able to make it out of league V. Have not even won my division.
Any advice about my roster?
I think my Pitching is where my team is weakest, and hase been where i focused my recruiting, although I have had more luck drafting hitters.
JJNZ

Yakima Monster
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
At first glance you can't be doing much wrong to be second in your division, it took me 5 season to get past LL5. However, some feedback for you!

Straight away I can see that you have defensive issues, mostly a lack of range all-round.

Rice is a great catcher, has another season or 2 in him despite his poor season, might fit in well in a back up/ platoon role while you blood in a replacement

Nakata is a useful bench piece, there's no reason he couldn't play any position in the paddock and has good speed also. Definitely not a starter with that meager offense

Frazier is likely to drop off quite a bit this off season, given that you're not going to promote I'd cut him now

Su - is only ever going to useful as a back up C, Nakata fills that role so I'd clear the roster spot and cut him loose

Daniel - nice mix of offense and defense, but definitely not a 2B or 3B with that range. Ideally a 3B, but given his age and the time it'll take him to train I'd put him at 1B

Conner - old and getting older, cut him loose

Esparza - has a weaker arm than I'd like at 3B and not a lot of offense, I suspect you'll find an upgrade in free agency relatively easily.

Fredrick - well past his best by date

Porras - missed all his time in AAA, fielding seems to be suffering for it. Should be a 2B, but probably you best bet as SS currently. Give him as many innings as you can and see how he grows!

Keefe - old but providing he doesn't lose too much SI this off season might be a good middle of the order bat who can play a corner OF ok.

De Jong - same as Keefe

Pineda - heart of the order - another corner OF, lets Keefe of De Jong play DH if needed.

Butler - nice looking CF, could platoon with one of the veterans mentioned earlier but get his as many AB's as you can for now.

McKenzie - great looking bat! could play either corner IF, without looking at your minors I'd say give him all the starts at 3B - it'll hurt for a bit but he'll be around for 4-5 seasons so worthwhile for now.

You lack a decent SS and could upgrade at 2B but have the makings of a solid line up there, try to get a bit younger where you can.

Pitching:
Posada - old and not great - cut

Meyer - still good at his age, going to perform wherever you use him

Carranza - ok as an LHS but likely to drop off in the off season, I'd probably cut him now

Roberts - good innings eater or great LHS

Hamilton - under developed and the results are average at best, look for an upgrade if you can, otherwise LR for him

McKinney - very solid starter

Patterson - ok back end of the rotation kinda guy, or in MR where he can eat some bullpen innings for you

Tuero - given that it can be hard to pick up pitching in FA he's OK as a bullpen piece, but only in an MR or LR role

Bailey - another solid innings eater, I'd be tempted to use him in a set up role with a short hook but the ability to throw 2-3 innings if he's on a role

Cole - let him start the rest of this season to try get some more SI, will fit in somewhere but needs SI to reach his potential

Lopez - let him start the rest of the way also, might be a nice lefty SP for you, otherwise a good LHS option

Norman - the lack of control and poor ERA are red flags, LR if you must or find an upgrade

McFarland - good back end bull pen guy, needs innings again, maybe even put him in the rotation (4man rotation?) to finish the season

Overall that's a pretty good pitching staff, couple of adjustments and they should get you through to LL4 OK, but they need some better defense behind them. They are mostly a ground-ball staff so getting that good SS and 2B will greatly improve their results.

Minors:

Very briefly:

Keep:
Harp - 2B/SS (14 range is less than ideal but easier to hide at 2B than SS IMO) - don't rush him to the majors
Good
Curley - BB:9 is OK despite control comment
Vasquez - 3B is probably best, consider 1B as a back up position
Watson - borderline OR or very good 1B
Eubanks - better than anyone I've ever had!
Andrade
Matsumoto
Frye
Taveras - train as your CF, thats where his value is
Vera - provided he develops fairly quickly
Booth - I suspect he will be deceptively good.
Bragg - not a popular build but I like him, lets see what he's got!

Unsure:
Gunn - ok 4th OF / bench bat / PR
Fletcher - low upside, but well developed for his age
Ishikawa - train at 3B also, lack of hitting comment may hinder him
Maya - probably a younger/better version of Ishikawa - train him at 3B and C
Levesque - worse defensively but better offensively than both Ishikawa and Maya - 3B/C - not enough range for OF IMO
Pence - another 3B/C, lefty hitter probably makes him a keeper to platoon with one of the other 3 above

Cut:
Webb - loads of better 12 pot prospects out there
Valencia - heaps of SI tied up in fielding and no plus pitches.
Crawford - the very definition of average (at everything!)
Frigo - plenty of guys out there without the lack of control issues

Only real comment on your minors is don't be afraid to train them where you see fit, just because you draft someone as an OF doesn't mean that's where they should stay!

Hopefully that's of some help, great base to continue building from :)
Endrju

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
First thing I noticed after looking at your lineup, your middle infield sucks defensively. 2B Daniel has 9 range, and the most important defensive position, SS Fredrick has 8 range and 7 arm. They are both fielding 98-99%, but poor range means they let balls through, and a lot of balls that would be outs with better defenders, become hits. It shows in your ERA and FIP - they're 4.51 and 4.40 respectively, which means your defense is hurting your pitching.

The outfield is also not impressive defensively, they can't throw the ball with 8, 9 and 12 arm. You should look for a CF with solid range and arm. This impact is much less than the middle infield though, I'd put on further place on to-do list.

With such bad defense you need a really good offense to cover for it, the numbers are good enough. No issues found here.

Starting pitchers are a lot above average for LL V, but I think you give your best ones too few innings. Take a look at pitch counts and hook on Meyer and McKinney, they pitch on average 5 2/3 innings per start, which is waaaaay too low for such players. Given that your bullpen is not all-star caliber, you should look to exploit your starters some more.

Speaking of bullpen, it's as 'meh' as it can get (why is Posada even still playing? You can find better players on free agency). I see you can't make up your mind with a closer, I would give Tuero that role. He seems to be your best bullpen pitcher.

Hope this helps a bit.
chris_smeaton

Garden Grove Highlanders
VI.9

Broken Bat Baseball
Thanks!!!

Both assessments have a lot of great info and tips.

What about Prospect Ranking Ratings?

Maya's is my highest 81.
Vera is my lowest despite having great comments.

Thoughts?
wickersty

Deadwood Perambulators
II.1

Broken Bat Baseball
There was a thread recently (I can’t find it) where that topic came up, and I think a lot of us settled on seeing Prospect Ratings as not really the be all and end all on how good your prospects are or might be. Moreso, I think most of us believe that what that ranking number is probably most useful at is saying this:

how likely is it that this prospect will be major league ready by age 25

If you look at it from that perspective, I think it can be helpful metric. But I, and most people, don’t take that ranking list as being necessarily true T ranking the quality of your prospects. I have prospects near the bottom of my list that I have no intention of ever letting go until theirs development is done and they make the majors, because their build, potentials, and scouting reports are just way too attractive to me.

Jeff

Updated Thursday, September 28 2017 @ 10:14:58 am PDT
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Keep in mind prospect rating is strictly a SI/age thing. So guys with high speed, range, and arm are always going to be a bit over rated, while guys who are starting out low, but develop quickly will be under rated. When Steve created the prospect rating he said it was "just for fun", I wouldn't recommend anyone make decisions based on prospect rating.
amalric7

New York Lancers
V.4

Broken Bat Baseball
Some more thoughts on your minors:-

AAA
Harp should be a very good 2B. He has some similarities to my 2B Gaytan, and he's turned out very well.
Gunn makes for a really good defensive outfielder but I doubt he'll ever hit, so I personally would be looking for a better bat. I don't carry purely defensive outfielders.

AA
Good has the good fastball and low fielding numbers, which is good for a 12 POT, but his lack of movement may make him homer prone.
Curley I'm fine with, though some people avoid pitchers with control issues, especially at higher levels.
Webb is a cut for me, 11 POT with too many points tied up in fielding and a control issue.
Fletcher is borderline but I'd hang onto him.
Ishikawa is another guy who will struggle to hit but does have power and fine attributes for C.
Vazquez could fit 1B as well as 3B, but might make a decent C too - 14 Arm is okay.
Maya I don't like at all, not a good build with likely low Hit and PD and you want better than that at 3B or C, his two best positions.
Levesque is better than the above three hitting prospects - good hitter, above average slugger, 13 POT. Average Speed, Arm, Range mean most of his remaining SI will go where it counts: hitting stats. His 15 Arm would also play at 3B or C, but with only 10 Range I wouldn't play him in the OF (I prefer 13+).
Watson is a borderline OF with only 12 Range but as a lefty his only other option is 1B. Seeing as he's already OF trained I'd move him to 1B now. He's a good leadoff man though, VG hit and quick plus can steal plenty bases.

A
Eubanks, Andrade, Matsumoto, Frye are all good.
Valencia is a straight cut, 12 POT with way too many points tied up in Stamina, Range and Arm.
Crawford is a cut, doesn't have the bat for 1B which would be his only defensive position.
Taveras is a cut for me, a good defensive outfielder but has no bat at all so isn't worth carrying for me.
Pence is a 3B not an OF, bat might only be above average but better than some.

Rookie
Vera looks like a decent lefty bullpen guy.
Booth is fine.
Frigo is a cut, too many points in Stamina for a 12 POT lacking control.
Bragg is flat-out terrible, cut him immediately. Don't take on pitchers without an 'out' pitch comment in their report unless they're 14 POT or more. 10 POT players have to be extreme builds to make a team and Bragg isn't one.

Other than that I like your team, follow the advice of the others as to your majors players. Good luck going forward!

Previous Page | Show All |