Help

Forum >> Help >> Soliciting opinions   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Tiger504

Kalamazoo Bloody Tigers
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
For 2034 I am considering what I will do at 3 specific positions - 2B, SS and CF. Basically the heart of my defense.

There are two things I'm certain of:
Enrique Campos (28 YOA) will start at CF vs RHP and Carmello Marroquin (26 YOA) will start at either 2B or SS in both lineups.

The other players that factor into my decision are:
Marco Morales 25 YOA
Jason Martin 31 YOA
Tommy Yamaguchi 26 YOA
Kyle Pitts 31 YOA

Morales I want to either use as my CF vs LHP or I am considering starting him at short. I am concerned about his fielding, age and offensive consistency but I love his range.

Martin is someone I'm sure no one will love but he did yeoman work at SS last season and my team performed quite well with him at short. Switch hitter too.

Yamaguchi too has great range but is questionable offensively. He does have speed and a little power. Considering him for 2B in any role except if I start him, the game engine will not sub anyone in for him.

Pitts is listed because I likely will start him at CF vs LHP if I want Morales at SS. Switch hitter.

All of these players will be on my roster no matter who starts. Just 4 of them will be starters in some role and the other two will be bench players.

I'm interested in hearing what others suggest but I'll probably spend the first part of this season trying things out until I find what works best.

Updated Monday, October 16 2017 @ 7:25:47 am PDT
wickersty

Deadwood Perambulators
II.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Wow, Campos has nice hitting for someone with no hitting comment in his scouting report.

Now, as far as opinions... by no means do I know what I'm talking about. I haven't been around long enough to *know* things definitively. But my opinions would be:

* I actually don't dislike Martin. I have a guy, Gotou, who I spent all last year trying to convince myself to cut, but he stuck around and hit a good amount of homers in a home ballpark that was BUILT to not allow them (highest walls possible all around). So, I appreciate the weird/non traditional build now and then. That said, I still am not in love with Martin's fielding, even with your ballpark as Turf. It makes me uneasy with him at 2B/SS with that fielding, but...

* I'd rather have Yamaguchi at 2B and Martin in the OF and hope Yama's low BC and PD doesn't hurt too much.

* With Pitt's bat, I'd want him in the OF for sure. And potentially at 2B, given your options.

* Now, for Morales, I wouldn't let him *near* the 2B bag, but I'd be happy with him in the OF with the hope that his 14 POT will give him great BC PD and Power to offset his crap hitting.

Just my thoughts.
Tiger504

Kalamazoo Bloody Tigers
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
Nice analysis Wick!

Additional info, other than Pitts and Martin playing some LF, those are the only positions available to these guys, one middle infield spot and CF against LHP. C, 1B, 3B, RF and DH are already well handled.
amalric7

New York Lancers
V.4

Broken Bat Baseball
You promoted to LLII with those fielders? You're a better manager than I thought...or luckier, at least. (I'm kidding! ;) )

Let's start with the basics as I see them: Marroquin is your full-time SS. His Arm isn't ideal but his fielding is WAY better than anyone else's, and there's not a chance in hell I'd go a whole season with Martin and/or Morales there. I'd make Martin your reserve.

Which means Pitts is probably your best option at 2B even though his defence won't be great (I have a 13 Fielder who can play 2B who doesn't have the solid fielding report, and it shows, though his Range is substantially worse than Pitts). Pitts has the best bat and if he starts then at least you can sub in Yamaguchi (or Morales) as a defensive replacement. Pitts only has the small 2b which won't help but enough playing time should get him the caps, and you may find yourself switching him and Yamaguchi until that happens.

Which would mean Campos plays CF vs RHP, and Morales could play it vs LHP. Think that's the best use of your resources.

Just wait until Gomes comes up, can't believe he's already in AAA with 85 SI at age 19!! Oh, and you could cut Santini and give us all a laugh at the feeding frenzy. :D
Cactusguy21

Presque Isle Vikings
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
Yeah, I agree with Amalric, cut Santini, you have no use for h-

I can't even get it out I'm dying laughing

Please cut him I want to see a 500 claim player :-D

Updated Monday, October 16 2017 @ 4:42:29 pm PDT
wil_m

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Wow, getting a Pot 14 in round 10, Morales, is a nice accomplishment!

Yeah this is a though one. My thoughts are,

It depends on how much playing time you want to give the the young players.

To me Pitts looks like the best option in CF vs LHP. But if you want playing time for the young players, then I would go with Morales in CF vs LHP.

Then I would do Martin at SS and Marroquín at 2B vs RHP.
And Marroquín at SS and Yamaguchi at 2B vs LHP.

Martin has more experience than Yamaguchi which added with his PD may help him more against RHP. Yamaguchi can get playing time against LHP. In both setups the stronger arm of the two is of course at SS.

If at anytime you want to give someone more playing time or if someone is not hitting well, you could just adjust this.

I do not like Morales at SS. I do not think his fielding rating and AAA fielding percentage are good enough. So I think that it is either Morales or Pitts in CF vs LHP. ( depending on if you want the younger guy getting the playing time. )

Updated Monday, October 16 2017 @ 5:12:39 pm PDT
Tiger504

Kalamazoo Bloody Tigers
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
Okay, you guys have hit the nail on the head for me, the question really comes down to whether Morales will have a sufficient glove to man SS. Also whether Yamaguchi will have enough bat. Yamaguchi's stock would also rise if there were some weak catchers but I'm not counting on that.

As far as Santini goes, I'm really still on the fence but if you guys don't think he can make it, I may have to cut him 😂🤣😂
Funny thing is, I've got a guy named Luna that can't find a full time job because of him, although his day at 1B is coming.
JJNZ

Yakima Monster
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
I'd give Marroquin the full time job at SS - my guy Keefe was similar but hit RHP's even worse - until last season he had a career .197 ave but finally worked them out (hopefully its not just a blip!)

Pitts is a nice 2B, I'd use him fulltime and just accept an extra couple of errors - if you fall out of the race then cut him and give Yamaguchi all the starts, I feel he still has room to grow and is fantastic defensively.

Campos and Morales are a pretty good CF platoon which leaves Martin as an OK back up at any of those spots where you need him, although if you needed to cut a roster spot you could get away with that ok.

Previous Page | Show All |