Help

Forum >> Help >> Minors, take 2.   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Gambler75

Brockton Bombers
V.15

Broken Bat Baseball
Since this seems like it's going to be a painful season with my team not ready for LL5, time to take another look at the mess that is my minors:

C: Wing, Thompson, (Shultz**)
1B/DH: Yamaguchi, Koch, Sharp, Turner, Penny, Diaz.
2B: Kamealoha
3B: Shultz, (Matsumoto*), (Kamealoha*)
SS: Matsumoto, Bowen
LF: Ruiz, Cheung, Turner
CF: Schmidt, Tanner
RF: Ruiz, Tanner

* training in minors currently.
** training once current position is done.

1B/DH mess: Sharp, Diaz and maybe Koch seem like the likely cuts.

L/R Sharp - 15/15/13/17/10 14/10/9 projection ... could be a fairly productive 1B with that line, but he's objectively worse than Penny, Turner and Koch at that point.

S/L Diaz - 7/5 BC/PD worst case, 11/9 best case, no room in the build for it. Painful as it is to cut a switch hitting VG hit / Pro slug, I can't envision a situation where he doesn't end up a Rob Deer HR or K type guy?

Koch - Simply looks like a worse version of Turner, who could at least LF in a pinch. Projected stats around 17/19/18/14/9 14/9/11, to Turner's 17/19/17/14/17 6/12/9. Just not sure I could get them both on the field, assuming Penny is locked in at 1B (17/15/16/19/15 11/11/7 projection). I suppose I could have LF Turner, 1B Penny, DH Koch if all develop nicely, but probably only against lefty starters.

Biggest needs:

1. Pitching ...

2. Better range prospect at 2B.

3. Better prospects in general at OF. (Best current projection is Tanner at roughly a 14/16/14/10/13 14/15/15 line.)

Any and all advice welcome, since I'm still a relative newbie here. :)

P.S.

Other potential cuts, *assuming* I can find some better OF prospects:

L/L Ruiz - had a great spring and AAA so far, but likely ends up too weak on PD/BC. Given his scouting, projected line around 19/8/9/11/17 11/14/13 - but given his age, pretty unlikely to get a chance to cap out.

L/R Cheung - Really LF only, I wouldn't want him in RF. Projected line around 19/14/9/8/16 11/14/11 is a bit meh, especially for LF.

Updated Friday, October 27 2017 @ 5:58:23 am PDT
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
With the mega training, Shultz won't have time to train at Catcher. He is really better at 3B anyhow. He will likely prove disappointing on the offensive side of the ball. Could be an option to cut given others can play 3B.

I'd avoid putting Kameāloha at SS with only 13 range. 3B would really be a better position for him.

Bowen is a decent option at SS, could be a nice 2B too. Would give you nice range at 2B. But he is also a better SS option than Matsumoto given his range...

Diaz is definitely a tough cut, but a 12 POT was so much tied up in fielding, does make his prospects a bit questionable. I'd still be loath to cut him without more track record to go on, unless you really need the spot.

Yamaguchi looks destine for DH. He is ready to promote now (probably), he won't learn another position, and you don't want your 1B missing routine throws.

Sharp has been a bit inconsistent at the plate. Given his current level of development, I would expect better performance. Plus he is a POT 12. And he is a righty (fielding penalty) and he is wasting SI in fielding. He seems like a decent cut option.

Turner isn't a bad option in LF.

I'd be hesitant to pull the trigger too quickly with Koch. He has developed nicely (AA at 19), and has performed very well so far in the minors (although limited ABs). The real test is when he gets up into AAA, but he might be a solid hitter. Probably never hit for power though. Still, I'd probably consider some of the POT 12s before cutting Koch. You could even consider turning him into a 3B. He would be very weak defensively, but if you need more infielders he might be passable. Its nice to have options at 3B incase your other guys fail. Especially if you don't think Koch will ever get into 1B/DH anyhow.

Gambler75

Brockton Bombers
V.15

Broken Bat Baseball
You really think another half a season would be overkill for an international guy (1.5 @ AAA)? I was thinking of giving Yamaguchi at least until the ASB to try to get a lowercase 1B, then hopefully grab the rest in the majors, since my season should be a trainwreck due to poor pitching anyways.

Where Long is 30, Nakayama is 29 and mainly LF (Almost 500 games in OF and still hasn't capped it ... GRRR), Alonso is 28 and mainly DH - kind of need Gooch to hold down 1B for at least a few seasons until Penny or Turner is ready. Both Alonso and Long have been pretty wretched against LHP, so at the very least I could platoon Gooch when he's called up.

Also, I guess Ruiz could fill in some at 1B if I do end up keeping him. He's a lefty so no penalty like Gooch would have at 1B. Then again, if the mega-training update only got him 2 bumps, I wonder if he's not a lost cause at this point ...

Updated Sunday, October 29 2017 @ 3:50:13 am PDT
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
The Mega-training update didn't apply evenly to all players, as in just because a player didn't gain much from it doesn't mean they are a hopelessly slow grower. I had a couple of guys who based on their previous growth should have popped 5-10 points who only got one point in the update. I wouldn't overestimate what a lack of pops from mega-update means.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Yeah, 1.5 more seasons in AAA for a guy who already has the nod is too much. It won't help his development. Besides, who else are you going to play at DH? Its not like you need another 1B.

Alonso should be fine at 1B, and one of your other guys should be up before he needs to retire.

I wouldn't be concerned about the pops either, but the bigger issue with Ruiz is that he doesn't have any BC or PD.

Gambler75

Brockton Bombers
V.15

Broken Bat Baseball
I think you read me wrong, it would be half a season (this all star break) that I was planning on calling him up, not next season. The 1.5 seasons would be his AAA experience total by the time we hit the ASB.

But yeah, chances he grabs a lower case 1b by then are pretty slim. I just was trying to stick to the rule of 1.5-2 seasons of AAA before pulling *anyone* up, as sifting through the scrap heap of the transfer market - seems to be FULL of guys who got called up too soon. :)

My other dilemma is do I cut bait on S Aguilera at the majors, or play him 100% and see if he can have a mega-development season to save the build. But that would mean either DH'ing him, or moving Keith out of the lineup - and Keith was one of my best bats last season, even if he's off to a wretched start in LL5.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Normally I would say 1.5 @ AAA is an absolute minimum, but the bugged training update threw everything out of whack. I had one player who was recommended to skip AAA entirely after the update.

I doubt Aguilera will ever be productive. He is too underdeveloped.

Previous Page | Show All |