Help

Forum >> Help >> Who would you drop?   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
12twelve

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I'm in need of some advice. I'm in the middle of a rebuild and in my second stint in LLV while I wait for the youth to come up. I currently have a full roster, and I am looking for suggestions on possible drop candidates for making other waiver claims or draft selections.

A couple of easy targets would be a couple of aging players but they are still productive and I'm hoping to use them to avoid relegation and possibly replace with the youngsters ready to make the jump next year. I know that Hardy is on my ML roster and should be in the minors, but I needed to hit the minimum roster count, so he is there until I can move him back down. My ML pitching isn't strong, but we all know how difficult it is to find pitching and this is the best I have at this point.

In my minors, I'm pretty happy with everyone on it. The one possibility that I've considered is Dale Thomas, but I've had some past success with an unhittable fastball and below average control so I've stayed with him.

Or maybe I just don't make any changes until the young guys come up and allow me to drop some from ML roster. The question is, will I find something better on the waiver wire or in the remaining rounds of draft that will be better than I already have? Tough question.

I'd appreciate any advice I can get. Thanks.
Tiger504

Kalamazoo Bloody Tigers
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
At a glance: Kral, Medina and Llamas
tokuchi

Smyrna Sounds
V.7

Broken Bat Baseball
No need to wait for the triple A call ups. Llamas is an easy cut; not enough offense for a LF nor for a 1B. You will replace him with someone better easily.
Quarles is a nice defensive 2B. I'd keep him, but given the quality of Saenz and Vincent, you could cut him without much impact on your rebuilding.
Your minors also have a few gambles: Kral, Medina and Roman. I agree that Medina and Kral should be considered.

TL;DR: Cut Llamas at first for a chance on claims, draft and reassigning poor Hardy. Then maybe cut 1-2 more.

12twelve

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Thanks for the advice. Here are what my thoughts were about the guys noted:

Kral - picked up on waivers after several teams dumped him. up 9 SI since drafted in 2032, with lots of room for development in key pitching attributes. unhittable fastball and stamina to be starter. thought my "excellent at teaching pitching" manager could help him get close to his max SI. although 22 with only 37 SI, took a roll of the dice to see if I can make it happen. the next couple of seasons will be critical for his development.

Medina - picked him up in FA pool only to be a DH. great hitter and prolific slugger scouting made me want to give him a shot.

Llamas - agreed to be the best selection of potential drops. would probably turn out to have only average skills throughout, with nothing that really stands out.

Roman - as you can see, I'm partial to hitters. won't have much speed or power, which should help in the development of his other offensive skills. might give him a couple more seasons to see how he develops.

If there are flaws in my thinking, please let me know.

I'm really looking forward to getting some of these guys promoted to the Show in the next couple of seasons to see what they can do.

Again, thanks!
amalric7

New York Lancers
V.4

Broken Bat Baseball
Pretty much agree with what tokuchi said, but I'd hang on to Medina, think he could still turn out well depending on how quickly he makes SI gains.

In my experience pure fastball pitchers with average (or worse) CoS and MOV tend to get hammered, and 12 POT fastball pitchers with high stamina WILL have average (at best) numbers in those two categories. So I personally don't like Thomas or Oviedo. Palma looks like being a good defensive MI, but I don't like his bat at all - outside of hitting he could be below average or poor in BC, PD and POW, which rarely works.
JJNZ

Yakima Monster
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
I like most of the guys you're taking a chance on, some good experimentation is only going to help the learning process - Kral probably needs to be in the minors right until 26, but that's ok, I think he could still pan out with your manager.

The one that does stand out is Llamas, I don't see any upside there at all, let him be free!
12twelve

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Thanks for the additional insight. Sometimes it is difficult to look critically enough at a guy that you have been or are trying to develop to see that he might not pan out.

@amalric - we share the same concerns about Thomas. I think that if Oviedo can develop to the middle part of his SI range, that he might gain enough points in CoS, MOV, & Ctrl to be productive. That is something that I don't see from Thomas. I also agree with you on Palma. My overall roster is really lacking infielders, however, so I may have to hold onto him until a better option comes along.

@JJNZ - I totally agree on Kral. He's going to take some extra nurturing to make the gains I'm hoping for. This will be a good experiment to see just how much a manager can affect development.

Thank you all for the insight. It is great to get outside opinions. The clear choice out of the gate is Llamas, and he will be hitting the waiver wire before anyone can finish reading this. Haha!

Updated Wednesday, November 8 2017 @ 8:20:50 pm PST

Previous Page | Show All |