Help

Forum >> Help >> What to do with this pitcher?   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
oreohowell

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I picked this guy up during the wavier scramble that happens between the seasons two seasons ago. He was thrown to the wolves way too early in his career but has great stuff by the ratings. Since he was so young, I thought he still has the makings of a great pitcher. I went with what the suggestions and started to rebuild his confidence. In AA, he pitcher like the second coming of Cy Young with a era of 2.78 with over 250 innings pitcher. Promoted at the started of this year to AAA and the great pitching continued with a era of 2.33 with 81 innings. The suggestions said he was ready for prime time and after 3 starts his era is 12. I moved him back down to AAA but I am interested in hearing some ideas on what to do.

http://brokenbat.org/player/134802/L

Updated Sunday, November 12 2017 @ 6:11:16 pm PST
FreddyTheEye

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Bring him back up and play him. I think he will improve. I would guess he will be a 4.00 era type of guy. I'd take him.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Lefty fastball with no movement. Dangerous combination for a pitcher. He is probably going to give up a lot of HRs. He is as ready as he is ever going to be, and should improve over his current stats, but I wouldn't expect a ton out of him.
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Agree with Rock's assessment. As for what I would do... ignore the stamina and stick him as LHS. You could set him to more pitches and hope he can eat the innings at the end of the games, but given his 400+ inning track record, I think he may always struggle against righties. This season's stats against lefties are exactly where you would want them.
FreddyTheEye

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Don't listen to those guys, they no nothing about baseball or broken bat.

Your guy will NOT give up a load of home runs and his current major league stats are irrelevant as he was up too early.

The stats to look at are his last two minors seasons:
He gave up 26 HR's in 362 innings which is quite good. His movement is fine. His whip was about 1.00 and era was 2.50. He only walked one batter per 6 innings.Control is good. Speed is great with 273 K's in that time.
More importantly for LH's is his ability to get outs vs. RH hitters and your guy held RH hitters to a .230 average. He crushed LH hitters.

No guarantees but I still feel you more likely than not have a quality starter if you play him.

P.S. totally kidding of course about Rock and Newt knowing nothing hahaha. They have forgotten more about baseball than I know!
Cactusguy21

Presque Isle Vikings
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
He looks like a quality starter to me, I haven't had the same problem with lefties that others complain about, he looks like he could be a viable starter. But no movement is a bit of a problem, but it in no way jeopardizes at the very least a back-end starter role.
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
@Cactus, I said nothing about lefties being bad starters. See exhibit A. What I did say was that that lefty would be a bad starter, because he has a long history of not being able to get right handed hitters out. If anyone wants to ignore that type of advice, please get on my schedule and I will show you why it is a bad idea. :)

Edit: @Freddie, looking forward to this season's iteration of our series... I believe it was while playing me last season you said you were looking forward to playing your own division again. :)

Updated Monday, November 13 2017 @ 2:55:14 pm PST
oreohowell

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Thank you for all for the great suggestions. I use a 6 man rotation and will put him at the SS spot for now. I am going to put him on a longer leash and see how he does. I was hoping he would become my ace pitcher but the early results were not great. I did pick up someone in the draft this season that if things don't go off course will be my ace in a few seasons and Austin will become my number two or three. Thank you again for the great suggestions.

Updated Monday, November 13 2017 @ 5:32:23 pm PST
Jason2327

Abilene Patriots
III.2

Broken Bat Baseball
@newtman you can’t really say that about his record against right handed batters yet. Those previous seasons he was up too early. Give him this season and next to see how his numbers play out. Personally myself,I don’t like strikeout pitchers anymore because they do end up giving up too many hr’s. If they have a 2nd pitch it works better,otherwise I tend to leave them alone now
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I'd assume Newtman was going on his minors performance. He has a pretty strong split between righties and lefties.

His minor league HR numbers were good, but high velocity, low movement, and lefty still combine for a yellow flag for me. He could be a decent pitcher, I would just keep expectations moderate.

Previous Page | Show All |