Help

Forum >> Help >> same player repeatedly injured, + general question   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
shikago

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
My #1 starter had 2 max injuries before the all-star break, and already has another double digit injury since coming back. I'm wondering what's going on? Is there some sort of bug/glitch, is it being caused by managerial settings, or just luck? The odds of this happening seem incredibly low, which is why I'm asking.

He's had a 90-pitch count limit all season & was even held out of cup games. Never starts when fatigued. Meanwhile some other teams are basically unaffected by injury all season, other than minor fatigue. I don't get why things are so incredibly inequitable?

Related question for anyone who knows... Is the chance of injury the same per appearance? Is a defensive replacement is at the same risk as someone who plays all 9 innings? Is a reliever who throws 100 pitches at the same risk as one who throws only 5 pitches?
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
My first thought is that the 90 pitch count could be too high for a guy with 11 stamina. On the other hand, if he had a 90 pitch count those last 5 or 6 seasons where he appeared to pitch without injury, then it probably isn't the case. Next thought is, incredibly bad luck sort of evening out the fact he didn't appear to get injured before this season. Maybe just a bad blip on his career radar, or maybe injury proneness is a hidden trait that can actually be gained at random points.
shikago

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
His pitch count in those other seasons was much higher actually. 120+ in many of them! It seems like when I started getting more cautious, I've been hit with more injuries. One of my relievers with 16 stamina has a pitch count of 20. He's had a couple of double digit injuries this season too...
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
Is there some sort of bug/glitch, is it being caused by managerial settings, or just luck? The odds of this happening seem incredibly low, which is why I'm asking.

I'm fairly convinced susceptibility to injury is a hidden trait. Realistic. Some players are just more injury prone then others.

He's had a 90-pitch count limit all season & was even held out of cup games. Never starts when fatigued. Meanwhile some other teams are basically unaffected by injury all season, other than minor fatigue. I don't get why things are so incredibly inequitable?

My ace has 18 stamina and is made of glass. I don't feel I can give him more than a 100 pitch count. Meanwhile, other teams run 4 man rotations during inter and toss out guys on 2 days rest with impunity. Just how it goes.

Related question for anyone who knows... Is the chance of injury the same per appearance? Is a defensive replacement is at the same risk as someone who plays all 9 innings? Is a reliever who throws 100 pitches at the same risk as one who throws only 5 pitches?

I've never had a pinch runner injured. But I've had numerous pitchers injured after throwing just 1 pitch in a game. I believe there was an official post a while back that said injury chance increases with pitches thrown. (I could be mistaken.) My own experience suggests fatigue and pitch count is less important than hidden trait and luck.
shikago

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
And... another 20 game injury??? This has to be a bug? I thought I saw Steve say that this wasn't intended to happen (in a thread regarding longer injuries). This is literally 100+ games of injury in a single season, out of nowhere. And the season isn't even over yet.

@Secca - but would a hidden trait suddenly manifest itself after 5+ seasons of being dormant?

wickersty

Deadwood Perambulators
II.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I mean... it could. I have no idea if there are hidden injury traits... but theoretically, something could be in the code/data that's akin to "tendency to become injured as the player ages"

In another note, since mid season I've had three starting pitchers get 20-30+ game injuries, one after another. I feel like I've been missing a starting pitcher more than half the season.

I've run out of options, and am using my reliever with the highest stamina (12) as a SP5 until I get another SP back off the DL.

wickersty

Deadwood Perambulators
II.1

Broken Bat Baseball
In terms of pitchers and pitch counts, I always assumed that setting your SP to stupid high pitch counts would be a recipe for injury, but last season, in an effort to gain as much development as possible for my best young pitchers, I set relievers to be starters and forced them to pitch 150 pitches a game with no hook.

No one got any injuries worth noting.
Haselrig

Novi Doubledays
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
I always assumed that setting your SP to stupid high pitch counts would be a recipe for injury

I think this may be one of those things we try to read real-world outcomes into the sim. It may be as simple as every player who plays in a game fails or passes a single injury "roll" and those that fail are assigned an injury. Probably not how it actually works, but I think it helps the perspective to step back and think of things in those more simplistic terms occasionally.
Tiger504

Kalamazoo Bloody Tigers
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
Somewhere I recall Steve saying something like, try having a starter go 150 pitches every game and see how that works for you. I understood it to mean it would have an effect on injuries. No, I do not have a link.

I suspect fatigue plays a role.

I also suspect there may be a hidden injury prone trait. More likely though there are so many players, so many teams and so many games simmed that there are bound to be anomalies.

I would guess this specific situation is just plain bad luck

Updated Wednesday, December 6 2017 @ 9:55:42 am PST
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
Will look into it -- somethings these things are just bad luck. But occasionally we find bugs or database issues that result is problems.

Steve

Previous Page | Show All |