Help

Forum >> Help >> Size of stadium   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Carnival

Fresno Eagles
IV.4

Broken Bat Baseball
Should I move walls outwards if I fell I got good outfield defense? I got lots of speed......
lostraven

Corvallis Ravens
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
It's certainly worth a shot, particularly if you plan on feeding speedy, high-range outfielders. You currently are running Puente, Sage, and Navarrete at LF, CF, and RF respectively. I'd be leery of moving left field back much more if you plan on keeping Puente there. Maybe it's just me, but over the last six months I've increasingly become a fan of having a Range of at minimum 13 in left field, and even that makes me slightly oogy. (Currently running Montoyo out there for the dynamic lefty bat, regardless.) Also, how long will Sage be around, and who will eventually replace him in center?
Carnival

Fresno Eagles
IV.4

Broken Bat Baseball
Bringing to life an old post.

What kind of pitchers suits best in a big ballpark?
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
Guys with low WHIPs but large HR/9.

It's really tough to make this decision around your pitchers though. There is a lot of variability in a staff. What helps one guy may hurt another.

Personally I think the decision should be based on your style of offence. If you are the '86 Cardinals (speedy), you want a big park. If you are the '97 Mariners (boppers) a smaller park.

Looking at your team stats the past couple seasons, I'm not sure a big park helps your batters. A quick look at your opponents doesn't show any devastating speed teams, but a couple that are more fleet than you.

Specific teams aside, at upper levels where both pitching and defence are better a significantly higher percentage of runs are scored via the home run (no data to back this up, suppose it is an opinion). A big park serves to ratchet down scoring (more 2-1, less 7-4). If you know for certain your team isn't as good as your opponents, trying your luck in lower scoring contests may help. (Again, run suppression isn't going to be as noticeable when range and pitcher SIs are lower).

Very unique situation replaying the season. If you got smoked the first time, putting in an extreme park (either big or small) is a variable you can toggle.

The example of a big park team that comes to mind is Birmingham who played in a gigantic barn several seasons with great success. Their roster wasn't especially rangey, and although they had a speed threat (Gilbert), their offence was largely driven by home runs. The huge stadium did give some eye poppingly low HRs allowed by Birmingham's pitching staff. I suspect they would have been winning pennants even with a regular park, but it's hard to argue with success.

Previous Page | Show All |