Help

Forum >> Help >> A Player's "Form" Attribute   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
wickersty

Deadwood Perambulators
II.1

Broken Bat Baseball
HOT/COLD purely reflects what he's already done in the recent past. It does't have any effect on his current or future performance, it's purely an indicator of his recent performance.

I don't know if the code "believes in momentum, I don't recall Steve or anyone else commenting on that. But I do know that HOT/COLD is purely a indicator of the recent past and nothing more.
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Careful. You don't know that because, as you said, Steve has never confirmed or denied it. Most of us operate as though Hot/Cold is purely a statement about what has recently happened. There is the possibility it affects upcoming performance in a small way.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I'm pretty certain Steve has made that claim himself in the forums a couple of times.

EDIT: That it is purely based on past performance.

Updated Thursday, March 1 2018 @ 12:39:51 pm PST
wickersty

Deadwood Perambulators
II.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I recall him saying it too, which is why I worded my reply so definitively. I may be misremembering tho. I guess what I should say is: “I believe most everyone here would say, and operates under the assumption, that hit/cold is a measurement of past performance and not impactful on current or future performance”
AssumedPseudonym

Deerfield Beach Rats
V.7

Broken Bat Baseball
 It’s recent performance, no more and no less. If you arrage the list by batting average or ERA, the correlation is irrefutable.
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Yes, that's what is displayed and how hot/cold is determined. I think his real question though was...

Or can his future performance be affected by his HOT/COLD status?

My point is most assume the answer is no. I don't think Steve has ever confirmed that's the case, though.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
You have a point. I think this one gets tricky because Steve has never confirmed nor denied (I hope he never does) if players perform better at different times of the year and if streaks are part of the code. Streaks will happen naturally just due to the nature of RNG, however if there were actually coded as well, then HOT/COLD may give you an indication of when they are streaking. Of course it doesn't tell you when the streak will end. And if you take a "COLD" player out of the lineup and never play them, their status will never change.

Updated Thursday, March 1 2018 @ 3:33:20 pm PST
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Here's what I was looking for. It's in the News feed by Steve. Check out his last statement, which I've put in bold...

September 19th, 2014 - Pitching Form
We have now also started tracking pitchers recent form. Just like hitters form, we will display the recent form on the player’s page and also on the ‘Latest Statistics’ page. Unlike hitters form, pitching form will not be based on the last 50 plate appearances, but rather on the last 3 outings a pitcher has made. Note: statistics tracking for pitchers will start today and previous performances will not be reflected in this metric.

September 12th, 2014 - Hitting Form
We are now tracking hitter’s recent performance and displaying a form parameter on the player’s page. Players can range from very hot to very cold and if you hover over the form assessment, the statistics particulars are displayed.

Additionally, from the statistics page, there is a new button on the bottom to switch over to ‘Last 50’ statistics. Please note, not every statistic is tracked in this manner. Also, we will not be commenting on whether there is any correlation between recent performance and future performance.

Updated Thursday, March 1 2018 @ 4:45:28 pm PST
wickersty

Deadwood Perambulators
II.1

Broken Bat Baseball
That's VERY interesting. I've definitely never seen this before, and it was well before my time. I also had no idea that you could hover over the VERY COLD -> VERY HOT report for more details, nor that there was a Latest section in the statistics area.

That, plus Steve's declaration that "we will have no comment" certainly makes you thin that perhaps there is something more to it all.

Conspiracy!!! ;)
Cactusguy21

Presque Isle Vikings
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
He probably said that because there is no real consensus on whether or not there are streaks in real life.

Who knows what the game engine does though.

Previous Page | Show All |