Help

Forum >> Help >> Team Elavuation   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
TPS

Dallas Dragons
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
I have asked for one of these before, but now most of my players are gone, and I want to read some second opinions. Right now I'm using one of my starting rotation spot to develop my minor league pitchers. I plan on picking up a veteran pitcher when I'm closer to promotion. Thank you for all of the responses, advice, etc. in advance.
amalric7

New York Lancers
IV.2

Broken Bat Baseball
Hitting

C: Lauzerique has the killer arm you want at the position (even with no success this season, put it down to small sample size). But he has no real value in his bat: a .283 OBP for a 30-year old is bad. I'd look for a younger hitter/thrower with upside.

1B: Ibanez and Krawczyk are a good combo, now worries here. 1B is also one of the easiest positions to find replacements in FA if you need to.

2B: Pennington is a fine bat but there are two issues here. One, is that he isn't really a 2B, you want 15+ Fielding and Range here. Two, is that he makes $4.1M and is age 31, which means he's making too much money and is too old. If you can make your way into contention you might want to hang on to him, otherwise cut and go with youth/upside/cheapness. Nash is a decent reserve but lacks the defensive skills to be a full-time option.

3B: Lavoie was one of my first waiver pickups my rookie season! Good bat, not really a 3B given the errors but decent enough for LLVI. Probably better at C/OF.

SS: Playing Otsuka here full-time is the kind of bold move I like at your level, nothing to lose and everything to gain. Thing is he's made slow SI gains, isn't great at getting on base and makes way too few double plays. At age 26 I'm not convinced he'll ever get there in time to be a true asset - the idea is good, but the player perhaps is not.

OF: I like Fogarty in CF, will always give you some errors but that near-ideal Range/Arm combo is a huge bonus, while the bat is decent enough. Sawamura is a good bat but I personally would never play a 10 Range guy in the OF, its too low. I'd play him at DH, or 1B if Ibanez is injured. Biggs, Elias, Lerma and Whittle are all decent but nothing special.

What your lineup lacks is a true power bat, a guy with very good (15+) or better Hitting and Power, with decent (14+) Plate Discipline. Someone to bring in all those contact/speed guys.

Pitching

Good pitching is hard to find at all levels but you've got a decent staff here. Wolfe has had some good results, but a 32-yo making $2.4M is essentially a waste in your position (unless you're contending), plus he gives up too many walks. Dolf's 4 Mov scares the hell out of me. As always, you should continually look to improve your majors from the waiver wire.

Minors

This is an excellent farm system.

AAA: Pitchers are pretty easy to handle, just follow the recommendations. Taylor's control will be an issue but he's ready to promote. I'd be tempted to leave Donnelly down until the All-Star Game, looks like he could use some more AAA time. Spahn's control is a real problem but I'd treat him like Donnelly. Martelli is ready to come up, Stewart will make a decent 2B and Darling looks like exactly the sort of power hitter your team needs...if not for his lack of BC & PD. He might top out though in which case he'll be your cleanup hitter.

AA: You have a bunch of good players here and appear to have your hitters all learning their optimum positions.

Overall, a good team. Minors are ready to beef-up the majors, which need it. A couple of good FA pickups and you should be contending (I didn't check the opposition) within a season or two.
Cactusguy21

Presque Isle Vikings
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball

Catcher

I’m not sold on Lazarique. I feel like he could have good backup potential, but not at that salary. Cut him once you find a better player.

I feel like you need to find a young starter and a veteran backup here. Look for high arm and low range/fielding. Preferably with a decent hitting stat.

First Base

Ibanez is great, and Krawczyk is a solid backup. Play Krawczyk if you start falling way behind in your division, or if Ibanez struggles against righties.

Second Base

I don’t see any viable starter here. Pennington is solid, but expensive. Unless you think you could promote, cut him. Hold onto Nash and try to get him some reps, he might turn out to be a decent backup.

Shortstop

I’m not sold on Otsuka as a SS. Even if he reaches his 15 fielding cap, that still would be a really bad SS. Play him there for now, but be on the lookout for a replacement. Also, find a backup. Pronto.

Third Base

Lavoie is acceptable. Don’t be shy about replacing him and moving him elsewhere, but he will serve. Again though, find a backup. Your depth is at 1B and OF, easily replaceable stuff. Feel free to trim a few unused players to make room for an infielder or two.

Outfield

You are golden here. Fogarty is an ideal CF, and with Whittle in left and Elias in right, and Lerma as 4th outfielder, you are good.

DH

Sawamura and Biggs are great DH, they will suffice for the time being.

Starting Pitching

This is the weakest spot on your team. Wolfe is an old starter of mine, he really isn’t worth it at this age and salary. Replace him with someone with upside. Also, you really only have four viable starters on your team (counting Wolfe). Find another.

Relief Pitching

Your guys are more or less garbage here. Start looking immediately for new guys on the waiver wire.

The cuts

Wolfe, Hairston, Riley. Maybe Pennington.

Minors

You have a very bright future here. One note, in a week or two, bring Lucius Stewart up from AAA to the majors and give him reps at 2B.

boltsman

Eden Prairie Wolves
II.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I agree with the previous posters. Just want to add a few points.

A good point to consider is that if you think you are out of contention this season, it's time to start to think about what your roster for next season.

Someone like Cliff Rhodes sitting in FA would be interesting to try as catcher.

Humberto Lorenzo would be an interesting option to try at SS or 2B for you.

Pitcher:
Wolfe is a good starter starting to show his age. I would look for a replacement for him.

Dolf only has 7 stamina. Maybe try him in a bullpen role (like Odeja's spot) coming in often when you are trailing so he doesn't cost you that many game.

I think Odeja could be an above average starter. Hopper is an average starter to build with. I think you're doing the right thing to find out what Redmond can be as a starter.

Okada seems like the type that has very good attributes, but terrible performance. I feel that Barrientos, Hairston and Riley all made too much money for what they can produce. I would like to replace those four in reverse order.

I would bring Taylor, Spahn and Donnelly up to replace some of your pitchers.

Updated Tuesday, March 13 2018 @ 9:21:54 pm PDT

Previous Page | Show All |