Help

Forum >> Help >> Finding the Edge   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
We do have hard data on steal aggressiveness. Its other things like injury prone, or hitting with men on that we don't really have hard data.
Frankebasta

Kodiak Mules
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
@Rock:
You post more often than everyone else here...
Unfortunately for new users, you don't check your facts :(

What is RISP if not Hard Data?

I claim we have no knowledge of true speed: SB and CS totals are influenced by opponent's Catcher's arm
You only need one team playing a noodle arm-6 catcher to inflate SB totals, and success %, by running wild against aagainst him.
That's not what I call Hard Data
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
You don't really check your facts either Frankebasta. You made a post implying that the MoE could result in a player having a skill value above 20, which as I posted above was merely a rounding error which has been fixed. There are way too many variables to be able to say what hidden traits do and do not exist with 100% certainty without Steve telling us, which he won't do.
Cactusguy21

Presque Isle Vikings
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
I think there’s hard data for an "aggressiveness" trait.

After all, I’ve a got a 17-18 speed player who gets 80+ SBs a year (and several CS as well), and yet there are some even faster players with good coaches that don’t even attempt SBs. Some players, if you look at their careers, just don’t attempt many SBs. They might succeed when they do, but they don’t try.
Frankebasta

Kodiak Mules
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
@Newt
> You don't really check your facts either Frankebasta. You made a post implying that the MoE could result in a player having a skill value above 20, which as I posted above was merely a rounding error which has been fixed.
<

???
There are two set of values in this game: actual values used in the game engine.
And apparent values shown on the player's card.
We are told that they may differ by 20%

I was obviously referring to the actual values. Because I was arguing about how the game engine deals with SB attempts.
There is no reason to think there's a rounding error in the actual values used by the game engine. It makes no sense.

All above notwithstanding,
What are you talking about?
I claim skill _may_ go beyond 20, and you're telling me that a rounding error took it to 21?
If so, which number, please, was rounded incorrectly to 21?
20.51?
20.49?
20.01?

In my math book, all these figures exceed 20.0

QED

(otherwise the rounding was performed on 19.99 and it took it to 21)
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
@Frankbasta
You post more often than everyone else here...
Unfortunately for new users, you don't check your facts :(

LOL. Not sure what you are talking about. If you consider RISP hard data, then I feel sorry for you. RISP is interesting, but I haven't seen patterns in my players. Their RISP/AVG fluctuates wildly form .5 to 1.5 season to season.

SB is very hard data. If I look at Alvarez with 14 speed, he consistantly attempted 30+ stolen bases every year in the minors against random catchers. If I look at Palu with 15 speed, he has never attempted more than 2 steals a year against random catchers in the minors. If look at any base stealer in any league and you will see they have consistently had many attempts. Amazingly this pattern continues in the majors even though these players are playing against the exact same catchers.

If you don't see that as hard data, well I guess that speaks for the quality of your posts in general. LOL.
Frankebasta

Kodiak Mules
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
Unsurprisingly, you got wrong from the very basics. That is, the very meaning of the words you use:

http://www.objectivity.com/hard-data-vs-soft-data/

RISP is Hard Data.
Measured as it happens ( not in real life but in a simulation, but that's the pasttime we've chosen)
No human subjective interference whatsoever.
If RISP doesn't fit a pattern, that's called INCONSISTENCY. Still Hard Data

On the contrary, SB are consistent, but very much affected by human (bot) intervention: those pesky ++/+/ /-/-- settings.
Which defines this number as Soft Data

I'm from italy, I don't expect to have to teach English to Americans :(
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
So if I flip a coin, and it lands on heads, that is hard data that flipping a coin will always land on heads. LOL.

And yes, it is obvious you don't know English. Always a strong sign (hard data) that someone has lost an argument when they start sniping at grammar or semantics. Means they have nothing of real value to offer.

Updated Saturday, June 2 2018 @ 7:28:28 am PDT
Jaybrams

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
SB attempts in the minors is not affected by Player Management settings is it?
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
It is actually. If you go to spring training management setting you can change them for your minors. I always pump mine up to ++ so I can get the best data.

Previous Page | Show All |