Help

Forum >> Help >> Defensive positions   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Ciccoman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Hi,
to judge how much a player plays in a certain defensive role what do you see at first? do you help him? mistakes? BIT? Another question, on the team management page, is to steal ++ if a player has speed skills? etc ...
wickersty

Deadwood Perambulators
II.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Hey Cicco,

I'm not sure I understand the first part of your question, sorry. But regarding stealing and +/++, I think the best way to explain that setting is:

x = never attempt to steal
-- = attempt to steal MUCH less often
- = attempt to steal less often
= attempt to steal a normal amount
+ = attempt to steal more often
++ = attempt to steal MUCH more often

Updated Wednesday, June 6 2018 @ 6:05:34 am PDT
Ciccoman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Thanks for your help, but the choice to set ++ rather than X is given by the speed ability?

> speed ++
<speed -

Quite right?

Regarding the first part of my question, I wanted to know whether to judge the performance of a player in a defensive position that the statistics prefer to consider mainly: Assist, PO, DP etc ...

sorry for my english mate ;)

Updated Wednesday, June 6 2018 @ 6:11:55 am PDT
wickersty

Deadwood Perambulators
II.1

Broken Bat Baseball
No worries, don't apologize for that - you've got more language than me :)

All players have the option of X, -, --, (nothing), +, and ++. Generally, the higher speed rating a player has, the more likely you should probably set him to + or ++. However:

- some people believe there are more 'hidden' type factors where a player is just bad at stealing, regardless of his speed. I don't think there's definitive proof of this, but it's worth considering

- some people believe that ++ (and --) are EXTREMES... almost reckless. Meaning: + might mean "attempt steal more often" while ++ might mean "attempt to steal every damned time, no matter how stupid a decision it is, steal steal steal always!!!" That can probably be debated as well, but it's worth considering.

As far as the defensive question, I don't think I have any useful answers for you on that. When I look at my guys, I just look at their fielding and range ratings to see what they would hopefully be capable of, and then watch their errors to see if they are sucking in the field. I don't have any more detailed approach than that, but I'm sure there are better ways to judge that. Someone else should probably answer that.

Welcome to the game!
AssumedPseudonym

Deerfield Beach Rats
V.7

Broken Bat Baseball
 Stealing is something you sort of have to figure out for each player. Some guys with high speed won’t run no matter what you set their steal settings on, some guys with low speed are surprisingly good at it.

A few owners, including myself, advocate setting all minor league players to ++ on steal. Yes, even the low speed guys. That’s how I found this guy, for example.

Updated Wednesday, June 6 2018 @ 10:37:04 am PDT
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I'm not sure there is a steal skill, but there is definitive proof of steal aggressiveness. All you have to do is look at the history of players in the league. Some steal a lot and some never steal regardless of speed. I set my steal settings based on what I want them to do. If I have a guy who is too aggressive and steals too often (getting caught a lot), I set him lower. If I have a fast guy who almost never steals, I usually set him up higher. I shoot for an overall team steal success rate of at least double getting caught, and just adjust guys accordingly to achieve that. I've noticed I'm more conservative then most, so figure out your own optimal percentage and set guys to achieve that. When they are in the minors I just have them all set at ++ so I can see how aggressive they are.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Defense is harder to judge because guys are never fully developed for fielding coming out of the minors. If they are making a lot of errors still I just concentrate on one position instead of dual positioning them. Also, some positions require less fielding skill (OF, 1B, C), so it is easier to dual position guys with one of those positions. SS/2B is a common dual position due to skill overlap, but its hard to maintain a good quality at both of those positions. I've started to develop more guys with none standard combos like SS/C or OF/2B.
Ciccoman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I wanted to thank all of you for all the excellent advice. I will start by setting up ++ for all my young players, this I think is a good first step to understand what their future attitude will be. Thanks again and I wish you a good day.

Previous Page | Show All |