Help

Forum >> Help >> pitchers home run rate   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
michaeltodd2

Paradise Valley Cubs
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
Never watched must baseball, and this is my 2nd season at Broken Bat. I keep reading about pitchers giving up home runs at an unacceptable rate, but i dont have any idea whats acceptable. I'm in division 6. I looked at my pitchers home run rates, but i don't have any frame of reference to know whats ok or not. Can someone give me a brief explanation as to what kind of numbers to look for (or to beware of) when it comes to giving up home runs? Thank you.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Two caveats first. One, you want to look at your pitchers holistically, don't just focus on HR rate. Two, look at history. Prieto is getting cranked this year, but historically he hasn't done too bad. So I would consider it an anomaly for him this year. Rosado on the other hand has an illustrious history of generosity with the Long Ball...

Generally I would consider anything less than 1/10 (one HR per ten innings) to be excellent. Its great if you can fill your staff with guys like that, but not always doable. George is having a tough year, but I have strong confidence in his ability due to his low HR/IP and high GB/FB (even more impressive in his time in the minors).

Anything over 1.5/10 (1.5 HR per 10 innings) I would consider very poor. Burnett for instance I have always known will be a useless pitcher. He is one of those guys I just can't let go of out of morbid curiosity, but its easy to see from his minors stats that he will always be a loser who gives out HRs like business cards.

EDIT: Worth noting that Burnett is a "Very Good Potential" POT 13, while George is an "Above Average Potential" POT 12. A great example of why you shouldn't just grab guys based on POT or scouted Potential. Worth considering both player build and stats.

Updated Wednesday, June 27 2018 @ 7:13:09 pm PDT
michaeltodd2

Paradise Valley Cubs
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
That's excellent info...thank you. A follow up question...for the GB/FB (which i presume means ground ball/foul ball) statistic, what kind of...parameters... would you advise to look/lookout for. Thank you.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
GB/FB is less obvious. It depends on other factors. In generally its good of a pitcher has a GB/FB of 1.2 or higher, but there isn't always a direct correlation between HRs and GB/FB. Plus a guy can have a good GB/FB and still give up a lot of hits.

Previous Page | Show All |