Help

Forum >> Help >> Development graph   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
michaeltodd2

Paradise Valley Cubs
II.2

Broken Bat Baseball
Any tips on how to divine information from the development graph? Thank you.
AssumedPseudonym

Deerfield Beach Rats
V.7

Broken Bat Baseball
 Generally speaking, it won’t be too helpful until a player has two or three seasons to look at, and even then it’s mostly useful for making guesses as to where unscouted abilities are going to wind up.

Some things, like hitting and fielding for batters or velocity and stamina for pitchers, you can already make an educated guess where they’ll wind up just based on the scouting report. For things like bat control or change of speed, you can usually infer future growth based on the growth pattern shown by the graph. You can also sometimes tell if a player is going to reach their scouted range in a particular ability based on the growth pattern.

Take this guy for example. I could tell back in ’32 that he was never going to have anything remotely resembling plate discipline, but that his bat control would eventually be reasonably decent. He pretty much grew into exactly what I expected he would.

One point of warning, though: Early ’34 results on a lot of players are going to look severely inflated. There was a server glitch during TU#1 that caused training to run multiple consecutive times, resulting in an exceptionally overzealous training update. Basically, don’t take the ’34 season into account when looking at growth patterns, and especially not early ’34.
occham

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Wasn't the training camp glitch of '34 replaced by the bigger server glitch that reset the entire season, including the double training camp?

To Pseudonym's bigger point, he's right. Once you get a few data points, you can sort of see where the problem stats are going to be. Each point represents approximately 1/2 a season so if after 2 seasons, you've gained '1' point in, say, bat control, then it's usually a safe assumption that you're going to get about that rate till you hit the max and, btw, the max in that stat isn't going to be very far off from where it is now 'cause the training rate is really slow.

There is one point that I'd add. Training is seems to be influenced by major league playing time (ABs and IP). I have no proof, but I believe that there's really two sets of training points - those you gain in the minors and those you gain in the majors. If you skip a player to the majors, he'll keep training but lose out on the 'minor league' points he could have gained. So he'll 'stunt' out - never hitting his true potential because he left points behind. Similarly, players that just sit in the minors beyond their time don't gain any more skills.

Pitcher training seems to be tied at least loosely to innings pitched. So young pitchers that get to the majors and start throwing a lot of innings can actually add on a lot of training points pretty quickly. Pitchers can gain 20+ training points in one season. Hitters, not as much.

I like to use this guy as an example.

Miguel Salcido

In the minors, he was pretty reliably tagging on 4-5 points / year, picking up all the hitting traits except bat control which was lagging. At age 25, he stalled out, sitting 80 points floundering in AAA in his 6th season in the minors.

I picked him up on the wires and immediately made him a full time 1st baseman - getting 450+ ABs / year. His DSC/HIT/PWR started training once again at the rate equal to his best training stretch in the minors until he capped out.

I don't know if he stunted or not - I tend to doubt it. To reach his POT, his BC would have to be much higher and from the training, that was simply never going to happen.

Just my 0.02 worth...

Updated Friday, June 29 2018 @ 5:06:28 am PDT
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
You don't need proof. You have the words of the developer in the Help files...

Training: is primarily gained in the minor leagues and is especially effective for younger players. Even in the majors, the some training is gained. Players will get training in all categories, but a team can select a primary and second training focus for its players. These categories will receive additional training during the training cycle.

Experience: is gained while playing in the majors and to a limited extent in the minor leagues (ie. Playing in spring training games). There are several ways in which experience is gained: with each at bat for hitters, with each batter faced for pitchers and with each inning played in the field for positional defense purposes.

Previous Page | Show All |