Help

Forum >> Help >> Managers   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
michaeltodd2

Paradise Valley Cubs
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
This is my 2nd season. I don't have any frame of reference for these guys. My managers ID# is 1775. Is this guy worth keeping? I'd appreciate any input. Thank you.
amalric7

New York Lancers
IV.2

Broken Bat Baseball
In a word? No.

His report is pretty average, he's 67 years old and he's making over the minimum salary ($0.5M). I'd replace him as soon as you can, though pickings are slim right now.
lostraven

Corvallis Ravens
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Just to add, new managers will populate at the start of each season flip.

Also, managers are sort of the punching bag of topics around here, or so it seems. Realistically, expect to dig for a while and not find a whole lot better improvement-wise. :(
Jaybrams

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Steve has also said they have less impact than might be expected. I saw someone estimate 1-2 wins or loses per season, but not sure there is anyway to really quantify it. I inherited a great manager and I'm paying a boat load for him... if it's really only 1 or 2 wins per season i'm wasting a lot of money.
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Depends on what league you're in. At LL II or Legends 1 or 2 wins can mean the difference between winning the division or not, or relegating or not which I think any owner at those levels would pay upwards of 6-9 million in a heartbeat for. At LL IV you might be right because you need to be making money at that level to have a war chest when you reach the top, because extremely few owners have managed to even break even in Legends.

Edit: Sorry for the poor prose, just got off work and kind of tired.

Updated Wednesday, July 4 2018 @ 6:14:46 pm PDT
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I think 1 or 2 is a vast underestimate. Especially when you start taking things like training into account.
Philliesworld

Blacksburg Bulldogs
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
I agree with Rock. If a manager counts as much as one player on the field than 1-2 wins is way undercut. I have come to the conclusion that managers affect the game a whole lot more than I first realized.
Jaybrams

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I ended up dropping my "helluva good" coach as we're about to relegate to V, he is 62 years old and costs me 5mil a year. He's now been picked up so i don't feel unfair name dropping him, but man, they don't seem to make them like this anymore: Alexander Rogers.

As far as what a manager is worth. You have all been around much longer than me. I recall reading it in a thread, but in same thread no one could really quantify it.

To help pick a replacement, as part of the process, i looked at a lot of experienced guys that had really low or really high ratings in a given area, like pitching, and compared the team Pitching stats the years immediately before and after they were with their last team. In most cases, there was no obvious correlation between the manager and the team stats (i.e. team FIP/ERA significantly improved when a good pitching coach took over, or significantly dropped with a poor pitching coach took over). I did this for defense and hitting as well.

Granted, I was not overly scientific in the approach, but after several hours looking at different builds, my personal conclusion is that if i'm going to spend 5 mil, i'd rather spend it on the field.

Since Training/Dev is even harder to (poorly) quantify, i at least wanted decent development rating to avoid stunting any of my guys. And, yes it is very slim pickings right now. So landed on another old guy that seems solid overall, but at minimum wage.

Previous Page | Show All |