Help

Forum >> Help >> What does "Base Running" do in the management tab?   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
hurstdm

Murfreesboro Moo Cows
VI.5

Broken Bat Baseball
I understand that ++ should make players more aggressive when running the bases. I understand that -- or X should make the players less aggressive. What I don't understand is when this should be set as ++ and when this should be set as --? Is it just based on a player's Speed?

Is there any observable result from these settings? I can't find evidence of "Base Running" in the play-by-play. (E.g., "Smith takes an extra base" or "Smith is caught trying to take an extra base") I can't find any evidence of this in the statistics. Can anyone explain how this setting is doing anything at all or why I should set it a certain way for certain players?

My baseball intuition says to be more aggressive on the basepaths, especially with faster players, but I see no way to judge whether being aggressive pays dividends or whether I'm just having them run straight into avoidable outs because of the way the Broken Bat engine works.

Thanks in advance for any advice and help!
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Not really sure how it plays out myself, but I generally set it based on their position in the lineup. If a guy hits in front of poor hitters I am usually more aggressive. At the front of the lineup I'm usually less aggressive. I usually just try to play the game as I would in real life, and hope that most of the time the simulation at least doesn't penalize you for making smart decisions.

Another approach could be to look at guys who you need to tone down their stealing because they are too aggressive. Its possible that guys who are too aggressive with stealing may also be too aggressive with base running.
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
In my opinion, it's one of the worst settings we have. I basically do the same thing Rock mentioned, having the top half of the lineup with moderate settings and making them slightly more aggressive in the lower half. That makes it super annoying, though, if you manipulate your lineup, which I do constantly.

Previous Page | Show All |