Help

Forum >> Help >> Meet the 1B ... where are they now?   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
A year and a half ago I posted a thread where I described 10 1B prospects in my system and looked for input. I've recently been reviewing Waterloo development of homegrown players, and thought some of the posters from the original thread might be interested in a where-are-they-now.

Nava -

Small SI gains last season may suggest he's a 103-104 SI guy.

Maybe didn't get a fair shake b/c I always liked Sharp better, but he didn't show any upside in his opportuntiy. His BC >> PD build meant a lot of low quality 1-2 pitch ABs. Went to VI and had 1 extraordinary season in 2036. Don't think there is any way he could come close to those numbers in an upper league.

Sharp -

Might hit more HRs (than Nava)

Got a little over 1200 ABs with the Dinos. At times had a little pop in his bat, but had difficulty making consistent contact. A K rate over 25% and poor RISP made him a liability in the middle of the batting order. Like Nava, he's made the move to the lower divisions and had a very nice 2037.

Markham -

may not leverage power and his 7 speed is a real downer

Filled out nicely. As predicted he doesn't hit many HRs. His speed has turned out to be back-breaking. He walks a ton, but Dinos don't have a 30 HR to bat behind him to really take advantage. Instead, there is a lot of "Markham holds at 3B" in our game reports.

Saito -

14 pot is sexy, but probably means a pedestrian offensive player with gold glove potential.

Was cut immediately after the forum post. Birmingham gave him a chance, but he's terrible. Was never trained for 1B, so that terrible applies to both offense and defense.

Schuler -

6 arm not great for OF, but 17 range is playable out there. With all the 1Bs, OF is likely where he ends up

Schuler is far and away the best player in the group. A little odd, since his "good hitting" report seems pale beside all the great-very good decent-prolific guys in the list. But in 4 seasons he's put up .785 OPS, been an all-star twice and won 2 gold gloves in LF.

Eaton -

Seems the best of the bunch. Switch hitter. Showing power. Stealing bases. Big bar and gold glove potential.

And then there is Eaton. I really thought I had a keystone player in a switch hitting VG-prolific with 18 speed. Rookie of the year his 1st season is a little misleading - his numbers were very vanilla. Last season he was horrific on both sides of the ball. Off to a 1 for 20 start this season, barely holding onto his job.

Boyd -

Feel obligated to give great hitters a chance.

Boyd got a chance. Unfortunately his great hitting topped out at 16. He just gets worse every season. He's currently benched, but I have to put him in AAA otherwise he is my manager's #1 pinch hitter. Wouldn't take very many scotch to cut him.

Taylor -

Boyd 2.0

Basically Boyd with the BC and PD reversed. I favoured Boyd and sent Taylor packing. Not that Boyd has turned out well, but Taylor's first couple of seasons in V suggest I made the correct decision.

Langford -

Strangely excited about this guy even tho his very good hit / above avg power isn't compelling.

A recent cut. His bland scouting led to a lot of bland minor league numbers. Doubt his base-stealing will impact in the bigs b/c of 15 speed and BC >> PD.

Feller -

Spending a full season in rookie ball is less than ideal.

I gave Feller a deadline to get out of rookie ball. He didn't make it, and was cut. Think he promoted to A ball a couple weeks later, so likely was a mistake. He's put up almost 800 OPS in the minors, and shows some SB ability. I don't think he will be a star in upper leagues, but given how other players in this group have turned out, I kind of wish I'd kept him.
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
As a bit of conclusion, I think it's kind of funny that last season the Dinos had 450 ABs at 1B soaked up by a waiver claim. 6 seasons after having 10 players in my minors jockeying for the 1B job, my big league 1B was a 5 claim 12 pot waiver guy.

Out of the 10 I got a good LF (Schuler), and a below average DH (Markham). There were 5 busts (Nava, Sharp, Boyd, Saito, Eaton), with 3 still TBD (Taylor, Langford, Feller).

League level is certainly a big part of the failure rate. But I think it also shows I've still got a lot to learn about appraising talent.
JJNZ

Yakima Monster
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
Interesting reading, don't feel alone in the player appraisal department though, I'm still making some horrendous choices lol
amalric7

New York Lancers
V.4

Broken Bat Baseball
For some reason I never reviewed your post at the time, agree with pretty much everything you did. Sometimes, that's just the way it breaks.

What I did do was post my own 1B logjam issues...so, I'll do something similar. :)

Starters: Jorgensen, Burkhart and Miranda all turned into middle of the order hitters, all fly ball hitters which (IMO) helpes with power (and usually a lack of GIDP). Jorgensen had a poor 2037, Burkhart a poor 2036 but bounced back to earn his first ASG last season so hoping Jorgensen does the same. Miranda is the rare 14 POT who maxed out his nothing hit report. Connelly never lived up to his report, a groundball hitter who had one decent half season, haven't regretted cutting him.

Minors: Bench and Colon didn't last, were gone soon after. For a 17 POW decent slugger Trent has never showed any power, and with only average production I've decided to bench him this season. I kept Anguiano and Sanchez - and so far I'm pleased with that - and dropped Kolb, West and Hoffman. The've turned out reasonably (if differently) but all are extreme groundball hitters who I haven't missed.

I'll stop with the attention grab (for now). ;)

Previous Page | Show All |