Help

Forum >> Help >> Always be wild...   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
wickersty

Deadwood Perambulators
II.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I had Peters when I first joined BB, and kept him until he started declining. Check out his salad years, he was frustrating, but it was hard to let him go. It was essentially "total disaster start" followed by "somehow managed a quality start despite 7 walks", followed by a "total domination" start.

Although, he was a POT 14. I don't think I would do it with a POT 13.

Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
Early in my career I was infatuated with high control guys. Not so much anymore. They are great if they can keep the HRs down, but many seem to have HR trouble.

I think low control is fine. Walks aren't really a problem if you don't give up HRs. If cratering control means high teens in the other 3 get'em out skills, that's probably a good deal.

You wouldn't want a full staff of these guys (pitch count), but mixing some in could definitely be positive.

All that said, I don't have experience with "he'll always be wild". There's a part of me that reads that and hears Tropic Thunder ("never go full wild").

At the moment my pitching philosophy is anyone with a decent minor league HR rate is worth a shot. I would definitely keep the linked player for a couple of seasons and see how he does in the minors.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
More narrative then based on any fact, but I usually try to make sure guys with high Movement have high Control. I actually think high Control may hurt Velocity pitchers. That said, I generally still try to get guys with control. I usually throw the lower control guys into less important roles like Starting Pitchers or Long Relievers.
JJNZ

Yakima Monster
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
Most of my best closers over the years have had poor control including one wild guy, I'm certainly not averse to them in the right role, although I don't think I'd use one as a starter.
lostraven

Corvallis Ravens
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Part of my Broken Bat mantra for 2019 is "be willing to reassess what you think you know." That said, your responses so far have done that. Thanks for the replies! I'll see how the HR rate goes in AA.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Giving up walks as a Closer is far more unforgivable than as a Starter. Your closer is you most important pitching role. Seems like you have your prioritize backward.
JJNZ

Yakima Monster
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
Medrano - was an always be wild guy, his 31/32 seasons were everything I want in a closer
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Wow. '32 is awesome. 39 saves, 5 holds, zero losses or blown saves. I'd say that's doing the job. Then to really show off--1 homer allowed. And what did that get him? Released.

Updated Sunday, January 13 2019 @ 2:11:07 pm PST
lostraven

Corvallis Ravens
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Wow, Medrano was bonkers! Huh, what a pleasant find he must have been that year. Eeenteresting...
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Always going to be a crazy exception, like a guy with 19 Velocity and 20 Movement who is dominant regardless. Like a said, closer is the most important pitching role. That guy was your best pitcher, and lack of control didn't prevent him from completely dominating his LL. I still wouldn't recommend anyone put a walk machine at Closer.

Previous Page | Show All |