michaeltodd2

Paradise Valley Cubs
II.2

Broken Bat Baseball
Indeed...thanks!
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Wow. People often cry about the "injustice" of the draft, while waivers go by in wild randomness. Some strike gold over and over in a season, while others go hitless. I've been in both zones. Unfortunately this season I'm batting 0 for 87.
Longviewess

Frederick Keys
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
The waiver wire is far more broken than the draft. There is no skill involved in clicking a button and adding your team to the list of several dozen others claiming on some players.

Being able to put in 20 claims in a single day is absurd and frankly part of the problem. There is no way any team can add that many players at once.

There should be some sort of cost of placing a claim that discourages spamming claims across two dozen players at once. Make it cost $10K, $20K per claim and you won't see 100+ claims on players very much anymore.
AssumedPseudonym

Deerfield Beach Rats
V.7

Broken Bat Baseball
Make it cost $10K, $20K per claim and you won't see 100+ claims on players very much anymore.

The players and prospects who get 100+ claims now would still get 100+ claims even if it cost to put in claims on them. They’re the guys it’s worth “playing the lottery” for. It’s the more marginal ones who would wind up getting fewer claims put in on them.
wickersty

Deadwood Perambulators
II.1

Broken Bat Baseball

The players and prospects who get 100+ claims now would still get 100+ claims even if it cost to put in claims on them. They’re the guys it’s worth “playing the lottery” for. It’s the more marginal ones who would wind up getting fewer claims put in on them.

Agreed.
Haselrig

Novi Doubledays
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
There is no skill involved in clicking a button and adding your team to the list of several dozen others claiming on some players.

I do take some exception to this. Evaluating players is the only real skill I use in this game. Which 15 or 20 players out of the hundreds (thousands?) that are on waivers on any given day to start the season are worth a spot on your roster? Probably not the same 15 to 20 I'd choose.

All of the guys I won are flawed in one way or another (Vines has been stuck in A for a while, Clayton has no hit tool and isn't trained to his position at 23, Simmons has terrible minors numbers and has one weak scouted pitch. Alomar, who I think fits my style best, doesn't have any power, etc.) None of them were in my top five for their day's claims (Simmons was dead last on the list for his day) and most are in the claim range I'd expect to win with 20 claims in. Vines is the only real outlier with 46 claims.

I've also been on both sides of it. This was a very unusual start for me. I'm usually in the whiff club at this point and only really make up some gains after people start dropping off after the All-Star game.

When it comes to waivers in Broken Bat, Wayne Gretzky was partly right. You miss 100 percent of the shots you don't take, but you also miss 100 percent of the guys over your roster limit. Knowing who to cut and when is also a pseudo-skill in this game. Roster spots are valuable. How you use them is has a lot to do with how successful you'll be.
Longviewess

Frederick Keys
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
You're all proving the point that the system is broken and that we should just deal with it. That's insanity.

Want to really, really fix things? If roster slots are so valuable, then make it so you can place the same number of waiver claims as you have open roster spots.

Sitting on 49/50? Better choose that 1 waiver claim very carefully. No more spamming claims. No more big lotteries. Talent spread around more.
Haselrig

Novi Doubledays
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
Plenty of good suggestions have been made to address the influence of luck in waivers and the draft. Made several myself. Waivers may change in the future. The draft is changing as we speak. For now, we play the game as is. Is it ideal? No. Is it better than the way most of the MMO Sports games handle free agency? For me, yes it is.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
There is far more strategy in waivers. I might not claim a decent player if I have a couple better options with claims. At least with the waivers we can actually see and evaluate all the players. In the draft, we get 10 crappy guys to choose from. Picking the best out of a pile of garbage for the 1st round is still going to be a garbage player. It won't matter how much evaluation you do if you are choosing between a bunch of POT 9 players in the 1st round.
FreddyTheEye

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
If roster slots are so valuable, then make it so you can place the same number of waiver claims as you have open roster spots.

Very interesting indeed. Perhaps a little too harsh but some kind of limit to number of claims really might add more skill/fairness to the waiver system. Target the highest si players or target by position needs? etc.

Also +1 to everything Haselrig posted in this thread.

Previous Page | Show All |