Help

Forum >> Help >> an axe to grind   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Max_Flieger

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I've played a few other sports manager games, and usually the team one starts with is complete garbage, and most players, if not all, need to be cut. I've already looked at my team to see who is the best of what I have, however, I have no clue how they stack up against the rest of the world. If anyone has the time, can you take a look at my guys and tell me if I have anyone worth keeping?
allen54chevy

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
As the Chinese proverb goes: Give a man a fish and he eats for day, but teach a man to fish...
Rather than list out each of your players I'll first provide the resources.

Rock put together a very good collection of post topics once for new players.

Under the help tab, the game manual is extremely helpful. The description of player positions helps tell which traits are important to each position.

While in the help tab, check out the newbie check list.

Also check out a few of the Legends League teams rosters. They should be a good example of the defensive build for players and long term goal for a balanced team.

Some overall thoughts on your team:
Players generally decline after age 32-ish.
Rebuilding lower level teams should focus on building young players.

11 pots rarely have enough overall SI points to compete (though they can be found at certain positions). Generally I would refrain from investing time and roster space on them in the minors.
Max_Flieger

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Thank you, allen, for the reply and the link. I've actually seen most of those threads already, but I did read the rest. Also, good to know about 32 year olds. Since I posted, I looked through the rosters of the other teams in my division. As in, I made a chart of stats and compared them to my team. That gave me a working knowledge, or at least a starting point. One more question. Let's pretend I wanted to cut everyone in my farm system. (I don't, but let's pretend.) Is there a minimum number of players I need to have in the minors? ...in any given minor league?
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Nope. I believe there are only minimums on your major league roster.
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
As the Chinese proverb goes: Give a man a fish and he eats for day, but teach a man to fish...

There is an old Navajo proverb : Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

There is also John 3:26-27 -- which sounds a bit similar, but the solution isn't to teach a man to fish.

Steve

Updated Thursday, March 21 2019 @ 3:22:50 pm PDT
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
In Broken Bat, players aren't synthesized when a team gets a new owner. Owners come and go, but the players are only generated at the start of the game and then the new prospects at the start of each year. Likewise, if a team goes bot, the players don't disappear. It's pretty much a closed system.

Steve
allen54chevy

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
interesting...

Teach a man to fish
toddcates

Baytown Bombers
VI.20

Broken Bat Baseball
Rather than list out each of your players I'll first provide the resources.

Rock put together a very good collection of post topics once for new players.

Under the help tab, the game manual is extremely helpful. The description of player positions helps tell which traits are important to each position.

While in the help tab, check out the newbie check list.

Also check out a few of the Legends League teams rosters. They should be a good example of the defensive build for players and long term goal for a balanced team.
Some overall thoughts on your team:
Players generally decline after age 32-ish.
Rebuilding lower level teams should focus on building young players.

11 pots rarely have enough overall SI points to compete (though they can be found at certain positions). Generally I would refrain from investing time and roster space on them in the minors.

Be careful Newbies. Guys like this will "help" you along when you're new and then later, when you've played long enough to learn things for yourself, they will berate and degrade you for having a different opinion than they do about changing everything they had previously helped you to understand. The best advice on this game is play it and learn from your failures and mistakes. Trial and error is the best teacher.
allen54chevy

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
???
I do believe I have not berated anyone ever online. Much less on a game.

Dude asked for advice, I posted a link to something he could have found if he knew what to search for, and gave a very vague 2cent opinion.

Max_Flieger

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Todd, I've seen what you're talking about in some of the other games I've played. Sometimes someone doesn't know the difference between offering advice and playing someone else's game for them. So far, what I've seen here is people like Allen, Rock, and people in other threads being helpful and friendly. I respect a gaming community that's like that, and I thank them for their help so far. I think it's also true that when a manager has a secret weapon, a new way of doing things, the rest of the league will berate such a manager...until his idea proves to work. Then everyone wants to do things his way. I'm not afraid to ask for help when I need it, but I'm also not afraid to stand up and be different. Again, thanks for all the help so far, and hopefully I'll find that secret weapon we all dream of finding :)

Previous Page | Show All |