Help

Forum >> Help >> Red Flags for Minor Leaguers   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Not a good idea to compare test league guys to LL-1 performance, but probably safe to expect similar performances in LL-VI.

Low SI For Age
I'm not a big fan of Gant because he gives up a lot of HRs. A couple thoughts on SI gains. First, I think minor league progression is more important. Second, pitchers can gain a lot when they hit the majors. I would have no concerns about Gant reaching his potential given he is already in AAA. For hitters it can be more of an issue, but usually is still tied pretty tight to their minor league progression. Remember to look at SI outside the box. The overall number is meaningless when comparing a defensive SS to a hard hitting DH.

Low League Level For Age
Optimally you want them to have at least one year in AAA by the time they turn 25. I find that guys can work out if they at least promote to AAA before they are 25. Remember, some guys will progress quicker. Look at A->AA and AA->AAA time to guestimate how long they need in AAA. Stallings is borderline. He should promote to AAA this season. Hill is too young to tell. 20 is tough in rookie ball, but if he progresses at a 1.5 year/level clip, he could still work out. The problem is that he is one of these aged highschool players, so we don't know how they will progress this year.

Low SI Growth
4 SI per year is pretty average for position players. Its not low. Hoy could increase some as he gets older, but I wouldn't expect him to gain more than 12 Hitting before he is recommended to the majors. He is already pretty close.

Stunting From Playing At The Wrong League Level
That all depends on how long they have been played at the wrong level. Choate should be fine. You are going to be able to get him a whole year in AAA before he turns 25, so no worries. He may even get the nod earlier than that.

Speed without Stolen Bases
Yes, it is safe to assume that. Its one of the strongest minor league indicators, and the reason I pump all my minor league players up to ++ for stealing. Speed is still valuable for base running, so its not "wasted" if he doesn't steal.

Above Average Potential Comment
I believe so. I also suspect they have a higher chance of being over rated, but there is so much variation with scouting/rating inaccuracies it is hard for us to determine that for sure. Given two equivalent players, I always go with "Very Good" over "Good", but potential alone is meaningless. SI growth, build, intangibles are all more important. The total SI is a pretty small factor in determining how good a player is.
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
I agree with almost all of Rock777's post.

I disagree with the last point though. I've looked at it before, and found no correlation between overall potential statement and placement on the SI spectrum.

I personally feel that statement is there solely for drafting, and serves no purpose afterward.
Da_Juice

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
@Rock

Do you do that for all or just the really fast ones
AssumedPseudonym

Deerfield Beach Rats
V.7

Broken Bat Baseball
 Speaking for myself, I set all of my minor league players to ++ on stealing. It’s generally a good way to find players who are good base thieves, even if they don’t look like they should be. For example, I have a player on my team with 7 Speed who loved running in the minors, and wound up swiping 27 bags (versus 14 caught) in the Majors a few seasons back. So yeah, encourage them to run when they’re in the minors. They may just surprise you. If their success rate goes down once they get to the Majors, you can always dial back their steal setting.

Updated Tuesday, March 26 2019 @ 9:06:31 pm PDT
geigerted

Queens Park Rangers
II.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Thanks everyone, this is very helpful. One follow-up question- where do you change the baserunning settings for minor leaguers?
allen54chevy

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Go to Management.
At the bottom of the page select spring training.
Note that if you change any settings for major league players in the spring training section it will also change them for regular season as well.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I do ++ for all as well. It gives me a nice comparable set of data to work with, and honestly I don't care if they are getting thrown out in minor league games.

@Seca - The reason I think they are more likely to be overrated is because of how players are generated. First they are assigned scouting reports (and overall Potential). Then once they are drafted the player is created. Most of the time players end up meeting their POT ranges. So it stands to reason that the random creation process is incorporating those overall Potential ratings into the generation of SI. That would mean a "Good" player is more likely to get more SI than an "Above Average" player. At the same time, a good roll with an "Above Average" player could land them with higher POT than the "Good" player. However, since "Good" players more often have higher resulting POT than "Above Average" players, it stands to reason they have more SI on average. They may look the same since their POT is based on the scouted/rated SI total, rather than the real hidden SI behind the scouting inaccuracies, but I suspect the "Good" player his slightly higher chances of being better under the hood. "Better" here meaning more total SI, not actually meaning a better player since a lot more than SI goes into the quality of a player.
patborders

Texarkana Twisters
II.2

Broken Bat Baseball
With regards to changing the Spring Training settings for minor leaguers, is this also relevant for pitchers (i.e. pitch counts)?
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Steve has told us that only some of the settings apply during the year. I'm not sure about pitch counts.
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
Scott Boras as his agent
He's going to want the Brink's truck! Pay up!

Steve

Previous Page | Show All |