Help

Forum >> Help >> Pitching Mess   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
sheish

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Going into the season, I knew pitching wouldn't be a strength but I didn't expect it to be this bad as my guys seem to have decent numbers. With some of the worst pitching in the league I am last, but rankings suggest I should be competing for the pennant.

Any suggestions would be helpful.
Pig_Cola

Glendale Marshals
III.2

Broken Bat Baseball
I'd change their hooks and pitch counts and see if that helps.
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
There may be something to PigCola's advice. I've had high stamina starters that only got 90 pitch limits because they always seemed to get into trouble later in the game. I wouldn't change pitch counts across the board, but I'd keep an eye on guys and if their problems come later, tinker with their limit.

Starting points:
- you are in the same division
- you've seen a significant drop in performance
- we're about 1/4 of the way through the season

What I'd look for:
- is it bad luck? 1/4 of the season is still a smallish sample. Are your poor performers (BB, opponent BA, HRs) much worse than last season / career numbers? If so, might just be bad luck. Pitchers have bad stretches, even bad seasons. If possible, put these guys in less important roles until they snap out of it.
If your poor performers are putting up numbers consistent with their career numbers, they should be replaced.
- did something change?
Are your poor performers older / lost some SI?
How are the 2 new teams affecting you? 7 of your 13 pitchers are LH. Marieta is 10-3 vs. LHP. Lauderhill hits .283 vs. LHP.
- are your guys built right / sequenced right?
Your HR allowed is the most distressing stat on the stat page.
You can get by with a high HR rate if you have a low WHIP. You can get by with a high WHIP if you have a low HR rate (especially if GB:FB >> 1 and you can turn some DPs). You cannot have a high WHIP and a high HR rate.
If you do have high HR guys, they can't follow high WHIP guys into the game. And that leads me to ...
-do you have a linchpin?
I find starters often leave a bit of a mess behind when they leave.
Not every pitcher in your bullpen is going to be a stud. But one needs to be. This guy cleans up any messes left by the starter, and passes a clean slate on to the next reliever. IMO this guy is the MVP of the pitching staff. (An inherited runner stat would be a cool addition that would help identify these guys :) ).
sheish

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Thanks,
I think there may be an age factor, as I always have t pick up pitchers in free agency who are generally older than 30.
ALso the one seriees pitching is good in 2/3 games my offense goes missing. This the season I could try and get promoted I'm now in deep relegation troubles.

Previous Page | Show All |