Help

Forum >> Help >> Backup?   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
michaeltodd2

Paradise Valley Cubs
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
Is it best to have a backup player for each position, as compared to nothing?
FreddyTheEye

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
yes

edit: (feels like a trick question) :-)

Updated Tuesday, April 30 2019 @ 7:58:16 am PDT
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
Hehe.

It depends on how competitive you are. A replacement with no knowledge of the position stands a better chance of hurting you than one who does.

Lots of times you have a platoon and a built in backup. There are some positions tho where platoons are less likely (SS and 2B for me, maybe 3B). These are also more demanding positions to play.

I used to keep a "utility infielder" on my roster. His job was fill in for the 2B, SS, and 3B. I came to see the utility infield role as a complete waste of a roster spot.

The biggest issue was maintaining position knowledge. It seemed to erode faster than I could fix. My SS would get injured, I'd go to put the UI in, but he'd have dropped to ss. Seemed he was always a bad option, worse than what I could get from free agency.

So now I use my OF as utility infielders. After mastering OF, my LF learn 2B as a 2nd position. They normally have decent range but a bad arm - passable 2B in a pinch. RF learn SS. C make decent 3B (and vice versa). Any LHT OF should learn 1B.

Saves a roster spot, and gives you some protection when waivers / free agency closes for the season (which is soon).
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I use a utility player with no Hitting report. But he has become my clean-up hitter because everyone else on the team is so horrible... So now I have difficulty keeping backup roles filled.
michaeltodd2

Paradise Valley Cubs
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
Now just because i pencil in a backup doesn't necessarily mean he will get at bats, right? That depends on injuries, pitching and batting substitutions, etc...correct?
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Only injuries. The AI uses its own logic for all other replacements.
michaeltodd2

Paradise Valley Cubs
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
If i'm not worried about performance and i just want as many AT Bats as possible, then i shouldn't pencil in a backup, correct?
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Backups will only come in if a player is injured. They won't effect ABs for your starters.

Previous Page | Show All |