Help

Forum >> Help >> Pitch count problem   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
jpnwrt

Logan Pioneers
V.6

Broken Bat Baseball
Sorry for posting one more time, not allowing anyone to answer first :) But I've just had an idea about the answer to the 1st question above.

I presumed that "Pitch count" and "Hook" conditions are considered by the engine as one OR the other (or both). But may be my presumption was wrong, and it's one AND the other?

In other words, to make sure the pitcher will be guaranteed to be replaced after 75 pitches I should NOT set up Hook to any number?
wuggla

Colorado Springs Vultures
VI.28

Broken Bat Baseball
Pitch count and limits don't always work just watch my last game played closer came in set his limited too 35 he faced 2 innings maybe he was less but started 10th and gave up a hit I would have pulled him.
jpnwrt

Logan Pioneers
V.6

Broken Bat Baseball
Thank you for the reply!

So are you saying, that there is no way to make sure my pitcher will be pulled before he's pitched 135 times?

That's a really bad news, especially if his stamina is 7. :-D

And is this a known bug, or is it how it is on purpose supposed to work?

Updated Thursday, May 9 2019 @ 4:58:19 pm PDT
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Its not an bug. If there is no one available to come in, a guy will get stranded on the mound. This could mean you don't have enough relievers, or your settings are too stringent. For one, you generally don't want to play around with the fatigue too much, or your relievers won't be available to come in. Also with the RD or the earliest innings. I would check to see why your other guys weren't available. You probably didn't have anyone without fatigue who was available to come in before the 5th inning.

You don't have a lot of relievers, you really should have at least two MRs. LHS is useful, but limited to when he will be able to come in. If your MR and LR are tired, you won't have anyone available to come in early in the game. I'd suggest adding another pitcher to your staff. Also, at this point in the season, you could probably get away with 4 starters. You could transition one into the bullpen.

Updated Thursday, May 9 2019 @ 5:26:11 pm PDT
jpnwrt

Logan Pioneers
V.6

Broken Bat Baseball
THANK YOU! I think I found the reason! It wasn't that LR or MR were too tired - Segovia (LR) entered in the middle of the 5th, and Barber (MR) from the start of the 6th. But it was YOUR post which directed me to look at the right place. The key was not Costa's settings, but Segovia's!!

Segovia's (LR) settings:
1st inning to enter = 5
Lowest RD = - INF
Largest RD = 0

These conditions, combined, meant that Segovia could not enter, regardless of Hook and Pitch count limit of Costa, as long as we were ahead! And at the time when the starter exceeded 75 pitches we were indeed ahead.
He was pulled immediately in favour of LR, when a home run made the score a draw 4-4 (because the Largest RD condition was finally satisfied, along with the pitch count, and actually with the hook condition as well, at that point). :-)

I am so relieved that it was my own lack of skill and experience with settings - NOT a bug. And NOT a random hit of misfortune, either ;-)

Regarding more pitchers, I'm aware of the problem and I've been trying to bring more pitchers to the squad, but I'm not in a hurry to build the squad capable of a series of promotions. As this case clearly shows - I'm not ready for the big boys of BB. So I'll continue to discover and cure my weaknesses in knowledge, while patiently waiting for the youth to develop. Just recently I released a good quality pitcher, because he might play well for 1-2 more seasons, but he'd block a spot for a good prospect. Of course I'm aware of the risks involved. Like, my 19-yr old with 15 potential and "might be a very good hitter" did not gain even 1 point in hitting for 1 full season. I know in this case randomness is something that can't be avoided but of course things like this can destroy even the best strategy of development...

Anyway, once again - BIG THANKS for the invaluable reply! And have a good remaining part of the season :-)

Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
If his first inning is 5, he also can not enter until the 5th inning. You should always set your LRs to enter on inning 1. That way they can come in if the starter has blown up.
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
Please see the Relief Pitching section in the rules/game manual: http://brokenbat.org/rules#algorithm

Steve
jpnwrt

Logan Pioneers
V.6

Broken Bat Baseball
Thanks, Steve :)
Actually, I had analyzed that section carefully before I started meddling with management. And I think I did understand it, then.
But I'm still relatively new to the game, inexperienced. So when I was trying to make my management really clever, I just took it for granted that the pitch count by the end of 4th can't be that much higher than those 75 in the notes to the pitchers' management. Boy was I wrong :-D In that match yesterday Costa's hit 50 by the end of 1st!
I'll be more careful considering all possibilities, after yesterday experience.

Thanks for the advice, Rock, about 1st innings for relief players. I will definitely take it into account. :)

ps. Actually, I just looked it up again, the order of relief pitching, and it turns out I had understood most of it, but not all.

Question(4): How exactly is Save situation defined?
Is it: a Close game AND no-hitter in the 8th+ innings?

Updated Friday, May 10 2019 @ 1:25:27 am PDT
Updated Friday, May 10 2019 @ 1:36:38 am PDT

Sorry, last final update.
@Steve: Regarding Questions 1 and 2 above, IP and R of my starter and relief pitcher in that match yesterday - does it qualify potentially as something to post in the Bugs section of the forum? Of course I would first check that nobody had reported this kind of problem before.

Updated Friday, May 10 2019 @ 1:40:46 am PDT
allen54chevy

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
For your questions on pitcher scoring, it may be helpful for you to click on the Help tab above and look at the wiki baseball link. In there is a section on statistics which will answer your questions. I'll post an excerpt:

Saves: games where the pitcher enters a game led by the pitcher's team, finishes the game without surrendering the lead, is not the winning pitcher, and either (a) the lead was three runs or less when the pitcher entered the game; (b) the potential tying run was on base, at bat, or on deck; or (c) the pitcher pitched three or more innings

Innings pitched: outs recorded while pitching divided by three (partial innings are conventionally recorded as, e.g., "5.2" or "7.1", the last digit actually representing thirds, not tenths, of an inning)

So in your game:

Bottom 5th: El Mirage
  Costa takes the mound to pitch. 
  Shepard hits a ground ball single through to center field.
  Coronado hits a single to left field. Shepard advances to second base.
  Fitzpatrick hits a home run to center field. Shepard comes in to score. Coronado comes in to score.
  Segovia comes in to pitch. 
  Kent strikes out.
  Koike hits a single to left field.
  Villarreal flies out to left field.
  Viera hits a home run to right field. Koike comes in to score.
  Graham flies out to left field.

While Costa came in to pitch in the 5th, he recorded no outs so got no credit for pitching in that inning. He had 12 outs so got credit for 4 inning.
Segovia allowed Koike to get on base then gave up a homerun to Viera. Koike and Viera both scored. Segovia was responsible for both of them so he was scored with 2 runs. He got 3 total outs that inning and did not pitch again so 3out/3= 1inning pitched.
If he had pitched in the 6th inning and got 1 out he would have been scores 1 1/3 total innings.

So as you see, it was scored correctly. There are no bugs here.
Happy reading and good luck.
jpnwrt

Logan Pioneers
V.6

Broken Bat Baseball
@allen54chevy:

First of all thanks for the detailed answer!
I had visited the wiki baseball page before, and not once, but I admit that the number of statistics listed there was kind of a turnoff. I think it's much easier to swallow, if you start enjoying baseball's complexity by going to live games, or playing it yourself, rather than reading the dry info online. Like reading about Chevy and driving or at least having a chance to touch one first :) And the "runs allowed" definition is somewhat hidden on that page, by the way. I mean, not having learned by attending or even watching games live, what is meant by "run" in baseball, I was under the impression that a run is one thing, and a run scored - another. That's why I incorrectly counted Costa's and Segovia's "R" - I simply counted runs as a result of the 2 action types in quotes before Question 3 of the original post. Now it's completely clear - thanks!!!

Regarding IP - also completely clear now. And in this case I should have indeed tried to find the information on the wiki page b4 bugging everyone for help. My bad, sorry...

Now, regarding Save situation. Obviously I don't mean the statistical "Save", but the term used by Steve in the relief pitching quasi-algorithm.
So, since Saves "are games where the pitcher enters a game led by the pitcher's team, finishes the game without surrendering the lead, is not the winning pitcher, and either (a) the lead was three runs or less when the pitcher entered the game; (b) the potential tying run was on base, at bat, or on deck; or (c) the pitcher pitched three or more innings", I am assuming, that if:
(1) Closer(CLR) is Assigned, Available, Not Fatigued, Not Too Earlier
AND
(2) his team leads the game by 1-3 runs,
then Closer enters the game (even if another relief pitcher is also Assigned, Available, Not Fatigued, Not Too Earlier).

quoted from Help:
"If Save Situation (except for no-hitter)
If Closer Assigned and Available (not injured) and Not Fatigued1 and Not Too Earlier2
Replace current pitcher with closer
"

Can you confirm my assumption, please?
I have a little bit of hesitation about it, because there is also no SRD/LRD involved in the other situation when CLR can enter, the Excessive Pitch Count, so it would mean both SRD and LRD are completely irrelevant for CLR. SRD is fixed to 1, LRD to 3.

Updated Friday, May 10 2019 @ 4:49:09 pm PDT

Updated Friday, May 10 2019 @ 4:52:39 pm PDT

Previous Page | Show All |