Help

Forum >> Help >> Help with my team? What should I change?   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Chase1butler

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Can someone look at my team and lmk what I should change. That’d be sweet
nxck98

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Well, let me help you out.

Avelos is a cut for me. Not a good hitter. Not worth it.
Montes is a poor hitter and fielder. Cut.
Zamora is decent but not great, that's a cut for me too.
Jackson is a cut.

Tillman would be a cut for me. Never going to develop with that potential.

In the minors, you need some big changes. I'd cut Austin, Rogers, Swanson, Blanco, Cook, Garcia, Cano, Hooper, Wyatt, Pieternella. Their potentials are either too low, or there is no good scouting comments. Guys with 10 potential will never develop good. Pitchers with no scout comments will not either. And players without a hitting comment are not worth it.

You need to find some prospects around 18-19 years old with 12 potential and are going to be good hitters. Your pitching isn't that bad, just need more hitters on your team.
Chase1butler

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Thanks my man.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I would have kept Avelos. He was a good backup catcher. Catchers go down a lot in this game, so you really need to have 2-3 on your roster. DeLeon will do in a pinch, but not if he is starting somewhere else on the field. I'd try to find another 18+ arm guy to backup at Catcher. Hopefully you can find a prospect with more upside than Avalos, but worst case you could resign Avalos.

Zamora isn't a 2B. He isn't even a good OF defensively. And he has performed horribly. His ratings look ok, but actual performance is more important for a guy with that many major league games under his belt. I would cut him.

Tillman isn't a guy you want long term, but might eat some innings until you can find better replacements.

Aguilar looks like a decent Catcher. Prototypical power hitter, has a nice long ball when he makes contact (but strikes out a lot).

Gutierrez should never be placed at Catcher. That 9 arm will be useless. Not sure he is worth playing at DH either. Probably not worth keeping.

Cano is a decent hitter. 1B is usually better manned by lefties, but Cano is splitting decent. At the very least he can be a platoon guy for you, but has the potential to be a better hitter than Becker.

Guzman looks like a waste of space. Can't hit the ball and doesn't have the fielding to be a good middle infielder. Really should have been a CF with his build. Probably keep as a backup utility player until you can get better players.

Villarreal is a little low on range for 2B, but he looks like a good player. He has a sufficient build for both 2B and 3B, so he is one of the few players who is well positioned on the squad.

Becker is not a 2B, but he has a decent build at 1B. His low power and GB/FB means he isn't going to give you a lot behind the plate, but he looks like a decent 1B option in the near term.

DeLeon looks very good, but where to play him? Fielding is a bit low for 3B, but he could looks like he could at least pretend. His arm looks good for catcher, but you already have Aguilar. Could handle 1B as well. Another option is to platoon him at 3B and play him as needed elsewhere. DH is always a fallback to get him in the lineup.

Kirby hasn't been great. I probably would have trained him as a SS. As a SS his production is acceptable, but its a bit low at 3B. Still a decent prospect so I would probably keep him, but beware of his potential. I don't think he is as good offensively as his ratings would imply.

Chambers is a little on the low side for SS, but you could do much much worse. He is aging though, so you need to figure out his replacement ASAP.

I think you can do better than Haller for Contact, but he is a decent prospect in the short term. has a good CF build defensively.

Salvador may never play to the level you would like, but he is a very solid CF. It is just unfortunate he doesn't hit Righties better.

I think Sumner is a decent prospect. His OPS is a bit disappointing so far, but maybe he will get better as he flushes out his Power.

You are surprisingly low on OFs. OF is the easiest postion to fill. I'd look for some hard hitting lefties off waivers (Range is good too).

Salmon is getting old. This may be the last good year you get out of him.

Ditto for Arenas.

Ditto for Katō. Nothing wrong with having these guys on the squad while they perform, but you need to get the next generation situated in your minors (or rely on hiring journeymen in the future).

Hayes gives up a lot of HRs. I'd be looking for an upgrade.

Simpson has already decayed, and he was always a borderline guy. Probably worth finding an upgrade.

Lugli looks solid.

Rios looks solid.

Lerma's HR rate could be better, but I think he is a decent pitcher with a reasonably good upside. He performs really well against lefties, so consider using him as a LHS.

Minton looks a bit suspect, but he can eat up some innings for you.

Roman looks great. I love pitchers like that.

Goetz isn't very good. But right now you need every youngish arm you can get.

As mentioned previously Tillman is pretty bad, but again, until you find decent replacements you need some young arms.

With the exception of your youngest guys, your pitching staff looks pretty strong. The problem is they are also very old and I'm not seeing any prospect in AAA ready to replace them. I would scour the FA and waivers for some good young arms. You can find a lot of good pitchers in the POT 12 range.

In generally you will want to fill up your minors with prospects. Make sure to get your prospect training in the right positions down in the minors.

Austin has a decent 2B build, but you won't be able to retrain him before he is ready for the show. He'll do fine at 1B, but I would keep him away from 3B. Possibly even just use him as a DH if his production is good enough.

Chapin would have made a great Catcher, but unfortunately it is much to late to get him trained up as a Catcher. Probably best in RF.

I don't think Upton will wow, but at least he is a pitcher in AA.

Broussard looks like a quality prospect, but he will never been a good SS. He has a good build for the OF. I'd focus his playing time there.

Ramey looks like he is well positioned. Should be a very good CF (or anywhere in the OF) in the future.

Glazer has an unfortunate GB/FB thus far, but still looks like an excellent prospect. 1B is the perfect place for him. I'd get him maxed out in his 1B training (still has a little ways to go), and then switch over to some OF training for versatility. He has at least one more full year of 1B training to max out.

Prins may be ok, but watch the HRs. If nothing else he'll have the stamina to be a starter in the future.

Rough start for Way, but I think he has decent potential. "Able to throw all day" guys can be rough because so much of their SI is sucked away into stamina.

1B is the right place for Cano, but I'm not sure Cano is right for 1B. He is performing well in Rookie ball, but his scouting report is rather dismal for Hitting and Power.

Hooper looks a little better. POT 10 is rough if they have some defensive abilities, but he is hitting ok (poor GB/FB though). Tough build to work with. Either a poor fielding 3B or a RF with too much fielding. End of the day he might not work out, but I don't see any reason to cut him until you run out of room in your minors.

Wyatt should be a OF, with 1B as a secondary position (if any).

I'd look for your next SS. Find a couple 25-26 year old OF prospects with good upside (maybe dropped because they were underdeveloped). Find some 23-26 year old pitching prospects. Pitchers develop quickly with playing time, so don't be afraid to pick up a guy who looks a little underdeveloped at pitcher. And remember that POT 12 pitchers can actually be pretty good.
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
I'm sure there is lots of good advice in Rock777's post. I didn't want you feeling bad about the Avalos cut tho. 1.2 million for a backup C with a career 650 ops is not a good deal. You can do better in free agency if you need a backup.

I'm your spring opponent today Chase1butler. :). Both Ramey and Roman were quite impressive in game 2.

Edit: I said to myself, I'm going to be the first one in this thread to spell Avalos' name right, and then spell check changed it to Avalon on me. :)

Updated Monday, June 3 2019 @ 3:40:05 pm PDT
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I spelled it right the second time. When I didn't cut and paste :P

But Seca is right, you should be able to get a better guy on FA. I just wouldn't have cut him until you had that guy in hand. 35% CS rate is reasonable for a backup C.

Previous Page | Show All |