Help

Forum >> Help >> Minors   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
JSJAngling

Akron Aardvarks
III.2

Broken Bat Baseball
Still new to this and wondering about player progression, if anyone can look at my minors system, do I have things to look foward to in the future or should I be worried?
atomic

Sunnyvale Rebels
II.2

Broken Bat Baseball
You have 5 players with the comment "never be a decent hitter". For my taste such players are a waste of time, even with the hope that they could "develop into a prolific slugger". My idea is that when a player is not very talented at hitting the ball, he will likely have very small chances to show his power.

I like Russo's defensive attributes and promise. Perfect SS to me, but his poor hitting combined with low PD will probably hurt a team more in the long run.
Also hist 14 potential will probably get a downgrade as he only has "above average overall potential".

I'd look forward to see Ernesto Lopez developing. I think he could turn out to be a very good bullpen guy or maybe even a starter. Pitchers who start off slow can also become allstars and Cy Young winners :)
https://brokenbat.org/player/140777/M
Divac

Florence Violets
II.2

Broken Bat Baseball
I would recommend to follow AI recommendations a bit more. Yes, it's not perfect but you have there a lot of dudes ready to promote to next level across the minors and also from minors to majors too.
Divac

Florence Violets
II.2

Broken Bat Baseball
Double post.

Updated Friday, May 5 2023 @ 2:33:42 am PDT
JSJAngling

Akron Aardvarks
III.2

Broken Bat Baseball
Anyone have any thoughts on my future at pitching? Worried I might be completley screwed as far as that is concerned
hardhat

Oceanview Woods Grizzlies
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
Singer should be in AAA, for at least 1 full season.

Pitchers I like:
Cody (but he should be in the bullpen, not starting)
Cadena
Lackey
Stafford

Just OK:
Hite (great K:BB ratio but he's HR-prone)
Lanham
Blum
Rodriguez
Baca
^ You should be looking for upgrades on these guys, although they may not be bad enough to cut right now depending on the replacement

Bad:
Cavanaugh
Vernon -- too many HRs

JSJAngling

Akron Aardvarks
III.2

Broken Bat Baseball
Ya what about in terms of minors? Really worried about the future. My first move was moving Cody to the bullpen then I picked up Rodriguez and Baca. Cananugh was someone who I was hoping would be party of the future and picked him up but he just has 2 losses this past series.

Updated Wednesday, May 17 2023 @ 4:59:55 am PDT
Haselrig

Novi Doubledays
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
The thing I'd recommend is to go to each Legends League team and see what their minors guys look like. Build, Stats, scouting report. See what they value in their guys and try to put a claim on everybody that comes up on waivers that looks/plays in a similar way.
amalric7

New York Lancers
V.4

Broken Bat Baseball
Hadn't done one of these in ages then did one last week, and here's another - complete team breakdown!

A 102-win team (with 13 still to play) can't have many holes, right? Well no team is perfect, so where can we improve the Aardvarks?

Manager/Coaches - Springer is terrible. There's an argument as to just how important managers (and coaches) actually are, but you may as well have good ones, right? There are plenty of better candidates out there right now, and less obvious good ones hidden amongst the all-10s, no experience guys (I'll PM you on that later). Hamrick is far and away your best coach, I'd probably have him coaching hitters. Bagwell is okay but the rest are poor - try to find coaches with no negative comments.

ROSTER

A general guide to scouting reports (second post down), a must for all GMs:-

http://brokenbat.org/forum/2/3/2451

Hitters - One golden rule I stand by: hitters must be able to HIT.

You can make exceptions, like the occasional power-only guy, or a slick fielder at SS. Other than that, 'very good' or 'great' hitting comment should be your ideal. Some 'good' hitters can work, but below that it's very rare to find any value. You always look for Power too but can't always get it.
Some people rate BC over PD, looking for better bunting and/or contact, but I've always been of the school that prefers PD over BC - I haven't found contact rates any worse, and guys with better PD draw more walks and post a higher OBP, and that means more men on base and hence more runs (Moneyball!).
On top of all that, guys with a low GB:FB ratio (ie. flyball hitters) are much more valuable, as they don't ground into too many double plays (GIDP), which are an absolute killer and need to be minimised as much as possible.

As it stands, you're in pretty good shape here.

C - Other than hitting the one attribute you want in a catcher is a good Arm, 16+. Throwing out base stealers is hugely valuable. Esparza has a cannon for an arm, but I worry he might never hit enough. Still, a flyball hitter with power able to play C and 3B is a good thing to have. Barrera could also easily play C.

1B - You've got possible MVP-candidate Nettles, nothing else needs said.

2B - Ideally, you want 15+ in Fielding and Range here, Arm is NOT important for the position. Bergman has done a nice job for a long time. Pantoja hasn't quite turned into the player his minors numbers suggested he might become, makes too much money and makes too many errors - I'd move on. Moore is one of those very average 14 POTs: hasn't lived up to his hit/power profile yet, has high Speed but doesn't steal bases, doesn't have the Range for 2B. There's still hope for him but I'd probably move him to 3B, though the Arm isn't great for that.

3B - Barrera, Esparza and Moore can all fit here. Fonseca has made some nice contributions but may be capped out (no rom for improvement) and is a groundball/GIDP machine: I'd move on.

SS - Ideally you want 15+ in Fielding, Range AND Arm here, but its not like those guys grow on trees so you take what you can. Wojcik really lacks the Arm so he doesn't turn many double plays in the field, but is obviously a rock-solid fielder (he'd be much better at 2B). Maldonado might be better (even with a 3B build), even if he lacks a little Range.

OF - Range is the most (/only) important defensive attribute here.
Mallory has had a nice career but at 31 it's not like he's the future, and 12 Hitting isn't great as you move up the ladder.
Burton might have capped out, and if so he's a cut.
Weiss is an ideal CF vs. RHP.
Ash is an ideal DH.
Daniel is a nice reserve CF/RF but there's no growth here.
Rizzo is a gem.
Farris is another useful piece.

Pitchers - Arguably the most important stat for pitchers is Movement. You can have some success with Velocity-only guys, but the ideal is Velocity + Movement. You want scouting reports with an out pitch or two (strikeout pitcher, exceptional breaking ball, and the like) in the description. Guys with below average Control (or worse) are usually best avoided at all costs though some teams make them work (I never have!). Stamina is NOT hugely important, as long as its average.

Baca is 33, so he's almost done, been a serviceable pickup at least.
Stafford should be pitching MR, decent numbers for it. LR is for developing future starters or for guys that give up too many homers when starting like...
Vernon gives up way too many homers, so try him in LR or MR2 and see if his fastball plays there.
Lackey is as 'meh' as it gets, but has done a job.
Rodriguez is a cut for me, surprised his numbers aren't a lot worse. No out pitch in his scouting report, lacks control.
Cadena shouldn't be anything but sometimes guys pitch above expectations and his fielders have really helped him. is it sustainable, though?
Blum is my kind of pitcher, he'd be in my rotation any day.
Lanham - I am NOT a fan of control issues in a closer. He'd be a Setup man for me, and maybe even MR. Too many blown saves, ERA is too high.
Unlike Cadena, Cody has been let down by his fielders, but this guy should be your closer hands-down.
Hite has always been homer-prone, and you just can't make these guys starters. Another LR/MR candidate.
Cavanaugh is a cut, literally nothing good here.
Singer is fine.
Hanson? There's a reason he was available in free agency - no Movement, no Control is a BAD combination, as 25 homers in 86 career IP will attest. 1 in 10 is a decent HR:IP ratio, not 1 in 3.5.

TRAINING

I always go with "No Training Focus". Picking any of the other options gives lesser results, at least for me.

MINORS

AAA
Walsh should be in the majors, he's got nothing left to learn in the minors and is better than some of the guys ahead of him.
Clemente looks to have gotten to AAA too early - sometimes the recommendations for promotion are a little off, and he looks like he should have had more innings at A and AA-ball. I'd actually move him back down to AA and give him a least two more seasons in the minors, because his numbers have been poor to this point.
Monroy is a cut all day long.
Weber is a cut for me, too. Not much upside, too many points to go into Fielding.
Cardoza is a cut. As others have said, "never be a decent hitter" is to be avoided at all costs, unless you have a dream fielder at SS. Those guys are black holes on your offence, and nearly impossible to play around.
Maus - again, not much upside here, only a few points to gain, and if you have to start guys like this regularly you're not going to go far.
Padilla - an example of where "very good potential, 13 POT" isn't going to pay off. No hitting, no glove means backup OF. There are tons of these guys available in free agency.

AA
Gunn might be serviceable. Don't cut guys with possible upside unless you need to make room.
Aleman's numbers have been okay to this point, but with control issues and above average potential the only way is down. I'd cut.
Clinton looks like a decent 2B, but even with the 'good' comment his hitting might be a little low.
Russo - despite the "never be a decent hitter" comment I'd hang on to him and see if he can be your SS of the future, chances are he won't but sometimes it's worth waiting just to see.
Sanders - not much to see here, but the blazing speed might give him value.
Lafferty is a cut. He does hit flyballs and is a prolific slugger, but as a lefty he's restricted to 1B/OF so his fielding skills are slightly wasted and as a consequence there won't be many points in the other hitting skills, so he'll never hit enough.

A
Lopez is a future #1 starter - NIIIIIIIIIICE!!
Fajardo could be your #2 or #3, nice!
Ochoa could be a starting 3B eventually.
Schulte is a cut, "above average sluggers" have almost no value.
Navarro might be a starting OF (more likely DH), but it'll depend on how his PD and Power progress, they're not good right now and may drag down his Hit/BC when it comes to actual production.

Rookie
Rivera is a cut, tempting as that 20 Range is.

BALLPARK

I'd raise your ballpark walls to 12', and don't change attendance next season - 29,500 is way too high for LLVI but winning so many games has helped fill it. Remember - you LOSE money on empty seats, so you want to be around your capacity every home game. A 25,000 or 26,000 capacity would have made you more money this season, not less.

Hope that helps!
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I'm one of those BC guys ;) I've had horrible luck with low BC guys. They have always been extremely streaky and inconsistent for me with wild 100 point swings in their averages from year to year. Not to say PD isn't very important also. Its just hard to win without consistency.

Padilla is a good example of a typical low BC guy on my squad. You can see how inconsistent he has been. I don't even consider guys who are projecting below 10 BC.

But things like PD vs BC are nuances and team philosophies. We all have different ideas of what works, which makes the game fun. I think every agrees Hitting is critical ;)

Previous Page | Show All |