Discussion Forum

Forum >> Discussions >> New manager effect   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I didn't say it's perfect, but I still submit it's the best way to measure it. This is especially true because most of the factors have remained as close to the same as possible--position players, ballpark, etc.

I didn't go into all the details originally because the post was already long. Yes, I've jumped up to a III league where the hitters are probably better. My pitchers are also better, though. When I took over as owner, my staff needed some work. Now they're much more solid as I've been able to develop a few guys.

If you think there's a better way to judge defense, I'd love to hear it. No one offered anything other than simply looking at FPCT, which I think is vastly inferior. Also, the way the game assigns plays makes looking at individual players defensive chances irrelevant and inaccurate. You have to consider the entire team.
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
Why is F% "vastly inferior"?

if the intention is to quantify the effect of the manager on player skills, F% seems like the perfect stat. It is tied to a single player skill (fielding), not a collection of player skills. It is completely individual, and not affected in any way by teammates or opposition.

The main problem with F% that I see is that error assignment by the ME can look pretty RNG. But that problem diminishes with sample size.

Maybe the intention isn't to quantify the effect on player skills, but the effect on winning? If that's the goal ... good luck. There are far too many variables to do anything resembling science. The black box is much too opaque.
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I'd say that the team's Fielding Percentage actually would be more accurate because it takes the random assignment of errors out of the equation and just looks at the frequency. To me if you then really have position players with the same skills, that is by far the closest you will be able to come to whether the defense got better or worse under the manager. Still other factors involved, but it seems least influenced.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Reality is, with all the factors involved and as Seca mentioned a lot of it black boxed, its virtually impossible to isolate the impact of a single variable. Its probably highly inaccurate but I don't think Mike's attempt is going to be any less valid than any other approach. They will simply all be doomed efforts.
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I think fielding percentage is inferior because it completely neglects players getting to batted balls (range). The manager's rating is on defense; I'm assuming that affects range, arm, as well as error rates. If that's not the case, FPCT would be a better measurement.

Hmmm. When I put it that way, it seems like having a positive defensive coach might be the best thing to have. I grabbed one with poor defensive coaching because I thought it would impact things less than pitching and hitting. Now I'm rethinking that.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Yeah, assuming Steve got the balance right all three of those should have approximately equal impact on the field. The development rating is a bit of a wildcard since it deals with a completely different aspect of the game.
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
I don't think it's an assumption the manager affects all 3 - think that can be taken as a fact.

If you are trying to determine a relationship, you want to eliminate all variables but 2. The best shot of doing that is with F%. If you get an idea of the effect there, you can attempt to extrapolate to other skills.

Fielding skill and F% are really the only one that could be studied. Everything else mixes skills, incorporates opposition, management settings, etc..
wuggla

Colorado Springs Vultures
VI.28

Broken Bat Baseball
#25703 10/24/2015 7:46:38 am
newtman
"""""""" I'd say that the team's Fielding Percentage actually would be more accurate because it takes the random assignment of errors out of the equation and just looks at the frequency. To me if you then really have position players with the same skills, that is by far the closest you will be able to come to whether the defense got better or worse under the manager. Still other factors involved, but it seems least influenced."""""""""my REPLY hey just look at last 3 years of my teams Stats some of this is true working's with the new Manager...i have changed players from positions also had 5 gold gloves in 1 season and my teams had lower runs score against it than any or most upper league V, IV,III,II or legends teams... just my small sample i useing....
wuggla

Colorado Springs Vultures
VI.28

Broken Bat Baseball
Also look at double plays they have improved all 3 years the only thing thats not improved was outfield assist. i think that had to do with last year i used a player with 10 arm in center field 1/2 the season.
i got 2 OF who will be able to increase OA for sure this year. but my F% for my team has just gotten way better evry year as well as my players stat F%.
This not luck putting the work into my team.
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
We continue to tweak the game engine to try to match real world fielding statistics. The aggregate is quite close to the MLB averages now.

Steve

Previous Page | Show All |