Discussion Forum

Forum >> Discussions >> Financials   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Mcdoogle

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Last year I spent big and missed promoting by 2 games. Lost 8 million.

This year I cut back considerably (spent some $$ on a couple of players) and made 2.5 million. I'll be cutting those players this year and hopefully make some more money next year. :)
AD24

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
this year my team made 5 million
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Here's a financial tip that took me a few seasons to get a decent grasp on--look carefully at your roster right now and cut the expendable guys.

The first order of business is to look at all guys 31 and over. Most of them (and all who are 32+) will lose skill in the off season. You don't know how much, but you know it will happen. Are they going to be worth the money? Are you planning on replacing them with someone in the minors?

Is your roster above 47 players? If you're a fairly active owner, you probably want to get it down to a maximum of 47. You'll likely get at least one waiver claim and hopefully you'll get a couple of early draft picks that are worth keeping. If that's the case, there's no reason to pay the guys you'll cut soon anyway. I know it's tough making those cuts, but you'll find yourself doing it in the next couple weeks anyway. Save some bucks and do it now. Another benefit to doing this is that it opens up your roster for a claim bug that some think exists, landing you two or three sweet waiver guys. 😛 Good luck.
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
The above is good advice (though most teams can probably do that the week before, given the relative importance and small number of series in the final week).

A word of warning - there is 1 more economic update on the calendar. Don't be contacting your stockholders quite yet.

Dinos may be in for an 8 digit loss (though that includes taxes which I usually don't consider).
garfscores

Battle Creek Sting
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
Battle Creek will make over $10 million this year. I have a young team, so expect salaries to go up a bit, but definitely gives me room to bring in a top player or two with big salaries to make a run at III and beyond. I have over $70 million in the bank... Yikes.
brentswagger

Lakeville Bears
IV.2

Broken Bat Baseball
New owner and I took over a franchise in good financial shape. My team has over 60 million and is paying a luxury tax. Do most try to keep their finances below the point of paying the tax or should I be happy to pay the small tax penalty and enjoy the fat bank balance?
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Do you mean taxes or franchise fees? I think everyone pays those. I don't think there is actually a luxury tax.

But yeah, either way you should be happy with having so much money. It means you don't need to watch your finances too closely.
brentswagger

Lakeville Bears
IV.2

Broken Bat Baseball
The rules talked about paying taxes of 1% on balances over 50 million. I'm assuming having the cash is nice and if you are paying that 1%, oh well, you have lots of cash.
DaveCool

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Enjoy the money while you have it. It will come in handy for free agents to full in some spots down the road.
quanin

Cleveland Thunder
IV.3

Broken Bat Baseball
I've written off this year's profit margin as what happens when you take over a bot team. Stripped my pitching staff down to the minimum just to avoid losing money, then brought in a few scrubs to fill out the field so my minor leaguers can finish being minor leaguers. If the soon-to-be 35-yo catcher doesn't end up expecting me to pay him $7000000 for his average season, I may just keep him around until one of his replacements gets the rec to promote. If not, then I'll be in the market for a halfway decent starter on the cheap. He's better than the only majors qualified catcher this team's got, which is about his only saving grace. Still, I managed to end up with a 6 mil profit so far. With leaves me with a slightly less embarrassing 13 mil in the bank...

Previous Page | Show All |