Discussion Forum

Forum >> Discussions >> Worst Start to a Career? (pitcher)   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
I would nominate Booth.

His stats clearly aren't as bad, but I would argue his performance relative to his skill set is worse.
Spoonerific

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I counter your Booth [not suited for his role as a starter, 10 Stamina] and raise you with a Day. Proof that 115 SI is meaningless.
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
not suited for his role as a starter, 10 Stamina

Ah. That's why he gets trashed in the 1st or 2nd inning all the time.

How much stamina is required to be a starter?
Spoonerific

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I'd say 13 at the least. Having a Starter line in the scouting report could help as well. Not saying he can't be a stater, just that his skills aren't being optimized.
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I agree with Spoon on this, though slightly differ in that I think some guys regardless of SI or stamina specifically, just stink whenever they get put in the starting role. Seen that with several guys, Gray doesn't perform very well as a starter, neither does Pope on my team, and Calvo one of my former players is excelling for Kennesaw now that he has transitioned into the bullpen.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
To get you through innings 1 and 2 I would say you need a minimum of 5 stamina.
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
Bradley is one of the three starters that has carried my team to its current league. His 10 stamina has never been a problem.

I've seen numerous guys with less than 10 stamina who excelled in the starting role.

Stamina plays into fatigue. One of the teams in west used a 4 man rotation through inter-league. Twice I faced a starter on 2 days rest. Both times he pitched better than the first start. Both times he won.

In this series just past, every one of my opponents starters was on short rest and fatigued. Every one of my starters was on full rest. I don't see that I benefitted.

I have trouble accepting that Booth's poor season is my fault.

Spoonerific

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I never said it was a problem, I said it wasn't optimal.

Bradley as pitched more than 180 innings only twice. He has never has a season with above .500 QS/GS ratio which is what I'd consider at least average for a starting pitching.

What do those numbers combined say to me? He pitches well early and has come out before the latter innings.

Can one win that way? Yes, definitely... but would the starting pitching perform better in a different role? I have no idea because we can simulate both scenario. I'd suspect he'd play better as a MR/LR or even a setup guy but if you have better at those spots having him in the rotation might be optimal for the team [because there are more variables at play and just reading SI numbers].
dwindacatcher

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
His name makes me giggle.
shikago

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
RIP Anthony Young
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/28/sports/baseball/anthony-young-mets-died.html
Suddenly remembered this thread a couple days after hearing about that.

Anyway, interesting to see that Oono actually had 2 decent seasons in D5 after I released him. Statistically he performed even better than my 114 skill index pitcher who is also in D5. Go figure.

Updated Friday, June 30 2017 @ 3:25:52 am PDT

Previous Page | Show All |