Discussion Forum

Forum >> Discussions >> Correlation Between Playing Time and Skill Pops   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I am pretty sure there is continual training growth and they "pop" when they hit a magic number. I don't think there is a random component to pops. I think its more a question of how many ABs or IPs will result in max experience (my guess is that there is a hard limit each week).

EDIT: When I said "training" above it should have been "experience". I think training works the same way, but you don't need ABs for training.

Updated Friday, February 5 2016 @ 9:34:57 am PST
Crazy Li

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
The 0 ABs are the most mysterious. I didn't think someone could improve just sitting on the bench.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I had that happen as well. I believe this is partly because major league players still gain some training. So you can still get a training pop due to training before the age of 29.
Crazy Li

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I thought maybe it was because they were in the minors, so they're getting minors training still during Spring Training.

To test further, I plan to look at the first training update after the regular season starts and look at ABs/IPs for the end of spring, cup play, and league play and see if I can figure out anything about how these 3 things factor in.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Players also get training in the majors. Just not at the same rate. My guy who "pop" in CoS was just sitting on the bench in the majors with absolutely no activity yet this year.
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
I am pretty sure there is continual training growth and they "pop" when they hit a magic number. I don't think there is a random component to pops.

Agreed. And I think there are official posts around on the subject. As I understand it, there is a random element to training, but not to pops.

Ie., a player receives 0.1 + RND(0-->0.1) in training for a skill. That is added to the current value. If the current value was 9.0 no pop. If the current value was 9.9, pop.

This means, unfortunately, that spring training is a really bad place to conduct this kind of study.

I think its more a question of how many ABs or IPs will result in max experience (my guess is that there is a hard limit each week).

A lot of games in this vein do have a cap. "A player must play 60 mins to receive maximum training. 59 mins is sub-optimal. 61 mins is a waste."

It wouldn't surprise me if such a cap existed here. If it does I hope we never find out what it is. Once that number is out there the game devolves into maxing training each week which (IMO) is very unenjoyable gameplay.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Yeah I agree. I think there are enough factors that it would be almost impossible to isolate that cap, which is a good thing :)
Crazy Li

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Well that "60 minutes optimal" example would be a terrible way to do it anyway. I know it was just an example, but games that do it right have a general range... and even sometimes that isn't fool-proof because some random variance is added.

To transfer it back to an example that works for baseball... let's say 35 ABs a week on a hitter is considered "good" for a chance at getting skill gains.

If you play 3 games a day with 7 days in the week, that's 21 games. You can pretty easily get the 35 ABs starting in half those games if that was the target number.

The reason I wonder this isn't to micro-manage and find the "perfect" or "optimal" training... but to figure out how well backups can get by on their skill gains.

When you have a young player who doesn't have all the right skills for your ML team yet, it does create a challenging situation. Do they need to start every game to have the best chance at growing? That can hurt sometimes. Can you get away with just playing them in Cup games and injury coverage starting and to being pinch hitters/runners to get occasional extra play?

It's a good question that I'd like to learn to get better at playing this game. What bar should I aim for as a minimum? We'll never know the actual answer, but we can experiment and find an approach that seems to work and we can be satisfied with.
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
It wasn't my intent to accuse micro-managing. :). It's a fair question, though as I said one I don't really want an answer to. I agree that the cap example I gave isn't a good way to do it. But it is quite common.

I generally break my players in as you described. First season is cup action, injury coverage and occasional starts. Try to aim for 150-200 ABs the first season, 300-400 the second, full-time the third. There are numerous examples on my roster you can look at (Hebert, Logan, Enriquez, Baez, Anderson).

For most of them that first season (~150 ABs) does seem a wee bit low / disappointing for growth, which means my method is likely delaying their prime a little.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I'm pretty sure skill gain is consistent, so unless there is a cap, your goal should be 100% ABs for optimal skill growth. Only the existence of a cap (maximum weekly growth) would create a target.

I suppose its also possible that there is some sort of exponential curve applied. So the first few ABs count more than later ABs. But your not going to find a local max in a curve like that either.

Previous Page | Show All |