Discussion Forum

Forum >> Discussions >> Hook Number / Starting Pitcher Effectiveness   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
metalbat13

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
It seems obvious that "fatigued" or "low energy" pitchers will perform less effectively in this sim. (Please correct me if I'm wrong!)

However, other than saving his arm for future games, is there any advantage to removing my best starting pitcher early if he is struggling? (i.e., by giving him a low hook number)

In other words, is a non-fatigued starting pitcher who gives up four or five runs in the first few innings more likely to continue to struggle if I don't replace him with a relief pitcher? Or is stamina/fatigue/low energy the only factor in Broken Bat that will make him pitch less effectively the remainder of the game?
Frankebasta

Kodiak Mules
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
I don't think it matters.
I've seen SPs go 9IP of one hit ball, starting the game with light fatigue, Stamina <13.

What's the algorithm I don't know,
that's from experience.
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
In other words, is a non-fatigued starting pitcher who gives up four or five runs in the first few innings more likely to continue to struggle if I don't replace him with a relief pitcher?

More likely? No. Not in my experience anyway. Its possible he will continue to struggle. Its also possible he will hang 0s on the board for the rest of the game and give you a chance to claw back.

I think its really situational how you do this. I have always used big hooks. Part of the reason is that (historically) there has been a really big drop in quality from my starters to my middle relievers. (Ie., a struggling starter probably still more effective than a fresh middle reliever).

I also emphasize winning over training. I'd rather give my team a chance to come back than give a game up for lost and turn it over to the kids in the 3rd inning.

If you have less of a quality gap between starters and middle relief, or if you balance winning and training more on the training side, then I think it is easy to justify smaller hooks.

The other consideration is blowing out the pen. Having a small hook in game 1 of a series is dangerous. Depending on how you have your pen setup, a starter getting pulled in the first inning could mean fatiguing a good chunk of your pen which could hamstring you the rest of the series. If one was intent on micromanaging hooks, I'd think you'd probably want to give the guy starting game 1 a little more slack.
PrivateSnowflake

Bloomington Thunder
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
I'm in Seca's camp. I figure my starters are my best pitchers anyway. If you're going to beat me, you'll have to beat my best.

Relievers on the other hand get low hooks. If one isn't effective, don't leave his sorry behind in there to cost you the game. Try a different set of skills.
metalbat13

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Thanks gentlemen! If the sim indeed does NOT make it more likely that a struggling starter will continue to get shelled in later innings, then it makes sense to give my better starters a high hook number.

Anyone else have thoughts on this?
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Oddly I'm the opposite of Seca here, I set low hooks on everyone including my starters. I also actually have middle relievers who consistently put zeros up, so that may be the reason why I have more faith in them.
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
Without giving to much away in terms of the simulation...a pitcher's effective is based on his starting fatigue level plus the number of pitches he's thrown modified by stamina.

There are other factors too, like righty/lefty match-ups, ballparks etc., but those aren't really related to fatigue/stamina.

Steve
metalbat13

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Thanks, Steve. That's pretty much like I figured.
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
With Steve's post in mind - the reason you would want to pull your starter is if there is some "form" variable that is influencing his results. If a pitcher is doing poorly due to poor form, then you should pull him. He's off today.

If instead random simulates form, then you should leave him in. Going forward after a bad inning random is just as likely to favour as to hinder.

PS - that was a really helpful admin post. While the manual definitely suggests that stamina has an in game effect ... It's hard to observe. I've often wondered if stamina's main influence was in recovery. Definitely good to know.

Previous Page | Show All |