Discussion Forum

Forum >> Discussions >> Hall of Memories   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
I'm really considering using the Hall of Fame as a Hall of Memories. Ie., rather than honouring the greatest players, honour favourite players.

Many of my team records are held by mediocre / bad players who had excruciatingly long careers under bot management. I'm thinking I'd rather have a guy like Hendricks in there. He had a relatively short career (signing as a 26 yr old free agent, and forgetting how to play baseball at 32) so his career stats aren't impressive. But he was the heart and soul of the team during his prime, and remains my favourite player.

I know the answer is "its your HoF ... do what you want". Just curious if anyone else has taken this mindset with the feature.
Endrju

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Well when I ding 10 seasons here I might have a different opinion, but for now I will only induct players that:
1) spent majority of their major league career in the franchise
2) significantly stood out from other players over this whole time

Looking at Hendricks, I don't know if he fits criteria 2), but if you feel he deserves it, then why not.

If I considered memories, I would have already inducted a guy that threw a no-hitter in my first month of play. It's a great memory, too bad his ERA was just south of 5.00 in the coming 2 seasons and we had to cut him.

Oh, and always remember that it's your HoF, do what you want... ;)
jdick1990

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I basically treat it the same. I initially inducted a few guys who were here prior to my ownership, but ultimately decided against that.

Going a step further, I use my player tags in the tools section to be more of a Team Hall of Good. I have a lot of players in there who were either only around for a few year in the twilight of their career or spent a lot of time here, but ultimately fall short of being considered Hall of Famers.
Tiger504

Kalamazoo Bloody Tigers
IV.7

Broken Bat Baseball
I think a "heart and soul of the team" guy definitely merits consideration. Personally I would find it helpful if there was some sort of accomplishment I can point to, like my guy Enrique Serrano, who holds the single season BA and hits records for my club.

I did induct the most prolific pitcher and hitter for my club that were there prior to my Era but that's as far as I will go with pre-me guys. And those two guys make it nearly impossible for current players to ever overtake them in accumulation categories like hits, strikeouts etc.

I think it's likely that most careers will be shorter than when BB started or real life. I would suggest that 25-32 would be a pretty fair window for playing significant numbers of games. So if over 8 seasons a guy averaged 150 hits and 20 home runs you're looking at 1200 hits and 160 home runs. Those are not exactly career #'s that we generally would get excited about by major league standards. However, look at any club and see how many players have actually exceeded either of those numbers. It's actually pretty rare.

I also like to consider all star appearances and post season awards. If I ever have an MVP, he's going in even if it's his only season with my club. Things like no hitters (I have one guy with 2) and hitting for a cycle (I have none) are fun to consider.

I'm interested to see how far Alex Crespo will go on some of my all time charts considering he started in the majors at 22 and I can see him playing up to his mid thirties.

My guy with the two no hitters also has two cy young awards. Obviously he will be going in when the time comes but I consider his most amazing feat to be winning his second cy young with only 15 wins. Can anyone top that? It was clearly a brutal year in my league/division.

Ah, I've rambled enough. Carry on. :)
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Personally I do use it as a Hall of Fame, though it is up to each of us how that will operate. I inducted the guys who set records that won't be broken, and a few guys who had really good numbers, but at this point I am done inducting the guys who played most or all of their careers before I took over. Of course I am trying to let them retire before I put them in, and I just had my first guy who spent significant time on the team under my ownership retire this last off season, he will be inducted this coming off season.

Previous Page | Show All |