Discussion Forum

Forum >> Discussions >> Saves (Over-) Pay   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Holmes

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I've noticed that a couple of seasons back, when Troy Murray's salary went through the roof after I converted him from starter to closer. With the closer I just fired because his salary was in no relation to his performance, it happened again. Ironically, his salary went even higher on waivers, although he wasn't homegrown.
To see if this was a general problem, I used the free agent search including waivers and players under contract to get the highest paid actually good (SI>=100) pitchers in BB.
Three of the top six (Alexander, Marquez, Ford) are relievers (at least over their career so far, they've collected more saves than starts, which I would say, makes them closers).
By those standards, unless his arm falls off this summer, Aroldis Chapman should be getting something like David Price's seven years, 217 million next offseason. I don't think so, folks...
Okay, Chapman will get well more than this year's 11.325m arbitration buyout, but he's already the highest paid reliever in baseball:
http://www.spotrac.com/mlb/rankings/salary/relief-pitcher/
Papelbon got the highest reliever contract I'm aware of with 4/50. Other closers on free agent contracts at the moment? Craig Kimbrel 4/40, DRob 4/40, Andrew Miller 4/36, KRod 2/13, Melancon 1/9.6, Tyler Clippard 2/12.25, Huston Street 2/14. Mariano Rivera got his last 44 saves in 2013 on a 1 year/10 million contract, and he never made more than 15m a year.
Saves pay, but they don't pay anywhere near as much in real life as they do in BB.
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
There's no doubt saves are overpaid for here. Without knowing the calculation (I'm not asking for it), it's tough to come up with a suggestion to solve the problem. A 20-30% reduction seems like it would get things more in line with reality, while still keeping them well compensated. There are players of all sorts that are overpaid here, but I agree that closers are consistently the most out of whack.
Crazy Li

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I don't have this issue because I don't use a closer :p

Interesting find though
buffmckagan

Scranton Bears
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
I always use a closer because I like consistency, and I don't think it is fair that the game essentially punishes your checkbook because of this. While I think a pitcher's salary should increase, anything beyond $2 million/year feels a bit excessive for someone who throws, at most, 60 innings/year. Good find though.
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
$2 million is low even for VI, in my opinion. I think their salaries should be looked at because they are out of proportion, but that number is too low. A solid closer should make something similar to what number three starters do. The best guys more like number two's.
buffmckagan

Scranton Bears
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
I thought $2.5 million after posting that, but didn't feel like changing. What would you say the salary of a good #2/#3 pitcher would be?
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
In the MLB that top closers make ~9 Million. While top starters make between 20-25 Million. So at least double, but less then triple closers.

At the top tiers of the game how much income do teams bring in? ~60K (after all expenses minus salaries)?

MLB payrolls average ~125K. So we should probably expect BB salaries to be about 50% of MLB salaries at the highest levels.

My rough guestimate would be that top line closers should probably be making somewhere around 4.5 million in BB at LL1 (and then progressively less at lower league levels).

And top line starters should really be making north of 10 Million (which they aren't).

So it looks like there should probably be a bit of rebalancing in both directions. A bump for starters and a decrease for closers.

Updated Friday, March 4 2016 @ 7:16:29 pm PST
Crazy Li

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
The salary formula is blind to league level though, right? So if you sign a top-level player at LL4, you shouldn't expect to pay a lower price because you're in LL4 from what I understand... he would get a Legends-tier salary if he's equatable to Legends-tier talent.

So when you say players should earn less at lower levels, do you mean by being on par the the talent required to succeed at that level or literally playing for a team at that level?

Or am I completely mistaken and players earn more at higher levels and less at lower levels currently?

Updated Monday, March 7 2016 @ 3:36:27 pm PST
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
The salary formula DOES take into account LL, a quick glance at the salaries of the best players at various LLs will show that. That said, the salary formula is only calculated once per season, so if a Legends team releases a guy and a LL VI team picks him up, the LL VI guy could end up getting 10+ million. That is the only way a LL VI team can end up paying more than about 4 million though, because that appears to be the cap for homegrown LL VI players.

Previous Page | Show All |