Discussion Forum

Forum >> Discussions >> Base Running Improvements   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
During yesterday's games we had a runner hold at 2B on a ground ball. Seemed out of the ordinary. A quick reread showed the ball was hit to 3B, so the runner being unable to advance was quite reasonable. Didn't discover the news post about it until this morning.

Anyone seen any other changes? Can't exactly change what the runner on 1st is doing. Always figured the actions of the runner on 3rd were dictated by base running settings.

Nice bit of realism. My concern is the same as when line drives to the outfield were brought in. One less way to play small ball / advance base runners. More emphasis on hitting home runs.

A positive is that this may help LHP slightly more than RHP.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
It could be pretty hard to tell if some tendencies were increased or if guys get more of a jump on certain plays...
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball

Nice bit of realism.

Provided that ends up being true, I'm not sure how anyone can complain. If it's tougher to move guys 90 feet, but realistic, that's great.

I'm anxious to see if the force at third plays have been eliminated. That's one thing that has always driven me nuts. You never see a first or second baseman throw to third; they go for the double play. Hopefully that's what happens now. I also wish that's what infielders did with less than two out and the bases full, but something tells me they'll still do the wrong thing and go for the force at home. I'll take any improvement, though.
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
That's what I'm wondering. It was titled base-running, but wondering if infield throws were tweaked.

PS - I know the 2B to third on no force bugs you. Blue Jays had a SS playing 2B a good chunk of last season (Goins). He executed that play multiple times. Every time he did it, I told myself MukilteoMike just shuddered.
afreespirit

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
This bugs me. A 1B does not throw to 3rd on a DP ball.

Top 9th: Ann Arbor
Rice takes the mound to pitch.
Young hits a ground ball single through to left field.
Rosario draws a walk.
Craig grounds to first base. Young is thrown out at third by Armetta. Rosario advances to second base. Craig reaches first on a fielder's choice.
Arias pops out to second base.
Cardona flies out to center field.

Updated Wednesday, March 16 2016 @ 7:03:12 pm PDT
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Seca, I have to say I'm a bit skeptical about that. I'm not saying it never ever happens, but why would a second baseman throw to third on a force play? The guy on second almost always has a much larger lead than the guy on first. The chances of completely screwing up and not recording an out is significantly higher by going to third. More importantly, you eliminate the chance for a double play. Go for two. Period. If Goins went to third, my suspicion is it was when there wasn't a guy on first. I'd be shocked if he recorded more than two outs all season on a force at third from second. Even two would surprise me.
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I have a feeling the scenario I'm going to vent about probably hasn't been considered, but I'm going to gripe about it anyway. The fact that the most recent example happened to me against San Francisco (uh hmmm) has no bearing on it.

9th inning and I'm down by two. There's a runner on first and two outs. The batter hits a double and the guy on first is thrown out at home to end the game.

No no no. A runner can't get thrown out at home in the ninth inning when trailing if he doesn't represent the tying run.
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
Ah, the changes didn't include fielder decision making, but I will look at that now. I like to make game engine improvements together and keep the engine stable most the time.

Steve

Previous Page | Show All |