Discussion Forum

Forum >> Discussions >> MVP/Cy Young Criteria   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
mcrmoe

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Was wondering... Are game MVPs part of the criteria for the end of the year awards? Not just for MVP/Cy young/Rookie of the year but also for the all league final team. In the case of pitchers, given that I've only seen starters win it, are quality starts and shut outs also considered?

Steve was open to our hearing our thoughts for gold glove considerations. I believe this is almost the same. We're a little over half way through the season. So, if Steve has time, maybe this can be tweaked a little.

Thoughts?

*Changed complete games to shut outs, slight brain fart...

Updated Tuesday, March 15 2016 @ 6:36:43 pm PDT
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
I asked a little while back if game MVPs should be part of the major awards (MVP, Cy, didn't ask about all-league). There was official confirmation that they are not part of the formula. Most of the responses in the thread took the view that they shouldn't be.

I still wonder if it shouldn't be some small part of the formula. Eg., two pitchers with similar stats, but one with significantly more MVPs. Suggests to me he had less support, and may be a little more deserving.
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Could be he had less support, could also be he was outstanding in some starts and mediocre in others. For an example of what I mean see Cardona. Note that he has 6 wins, 6 CGs, and 5 MVPs, compared to 12 losses. He had help in some of those wins, he just has been either phenomenal or terrible, with not many starts in between.
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I wouldn't want the daily MVPs considered for the awards. For starters, the wrong person is often declared the best of the day. I'd much rather have Steve spend his time on things that matter than on superficial formulas.
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
Sometimes I have 20 spare minutes and go out to my shop and work on my motorcycle. I'll tinker with the chain, polish some chrome - even though I know I am overdue for a fork oil change.

The most compelling reason against this is that game MVPs aren't a thing in baseball, and so shouldn't be viewed as anything more than a little fun. I can accept and support that argument.
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
Game MVP's are just for fun. They don't have any effect on season MVP and Cy Young awards.

I'm thinking I should just change the column header to POTG and then there would be less confusion.

Steve
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
There shouldn't be any confusion right now, I just think there are a couple players who actually want the game MVPs to be a factor, and that is why it keeps getting brought up.
amalric7

New York Lancers
V.4

Broken Bat Baseball
I'm in the "no" camp. I've seen some PotG awards that made me think, "Hunh?!"

They're a nice touch but shouldn't count in the grand scheme of awards.
wuggla

Colorado Springs Vultures
VI.28

Broken Bat Baseball
+1 Player of the game. "POTG"
Dcmrulz

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
There shouldn't be an effect between how many game MVPs a player racks up to MVP votes...but there should be a strong correlation. I'd be inclined to think a guy with 50 game MVPs probably has a good shot at MVP.

Previous Page | Show All |