Discussion Forum

Forum >> Discussions >> How does this crummy pitcher have numbers this good?   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Carcharoth

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Brian it's really up to your plan for your team. There's definitely no harm in keeping a player who looks bad on paper but performs satisfactorily. When I started in LL VI, I had some pitchers who were similar. I kept them in my roster until I had players from the minors who could pitch instead. Notice that Guzman already has the "too old to improve" tag. This means you cannot expect him to get any better. So if you have players who have room to develop, then you may want to drop him. However, given how few pitchers you have in the majors right now, you could keep him. I would recommend trying to find someone better on waivers or free agency though, it shouldn't be hard.

I would also caution that you should not expect Guzman's production to always look this good, especially if you promote or if someone else (like wuggla) picks him up. At low leagues, team's strength varies greatly, so what's good in one LL VI may perform terribly in another. In short, if I were you, I would keep him for now, but as your roster fills up he'd be one of the first to go.
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
Wonder what his numbers would be like if he wasn't in league level 6...

Steve
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Any pitcher that gives up a homer every 16 innings or so should be pretty useful. Even the 20% possible error in ratings doesn't allow him to reach even average skills. He's definitely a mystery.
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Guessing the batters he is facing are not very good either. A pitcher only has to be good enough to get the batter he has to face out, it seems simple, and at LL VI sometimes that bar is not very high to put it bluntly, but if you promote I get the feeling his numbers will balloon. Some LL VI teams are actually pretty good, others are downright terrible, haven't checked your divisional opponents to see what they look like, might do that later.

Edit: Grand Island and Vineland have decent rosters, but the other three teams in your division are pathetic and would make even bad pitchers look good. Their owners are one login and done or apparently have never even read the game manual, because better options exist in free agency for half of their teams.

Updated Tuesday, April 5 2016 @ 1:32:04 pm PDT
Tiger504

Kalamazoo Bloody Tigers
IV.7

Broken Bat Baseball
As long as he is performing, I would hang onto him. Until he proves he can't perform or others prove they can perform better you keep him and use him. Like Mike says, his HRs/innings is really solid.

He may be under-scouted. Actually he probably is but I don't think that could nearly access for everything. This guy is just consistently a gamer.

I have no doubt that you can find someone with better skill numbers but rosters are littered with players who don't perform in spite of their pretty skill ratings. This guy is so ugly only a mother could love him but under the circumstances I suggest you adopt him and have him start calling you mom.

Long story short, you've got a guy that can play, so you keep him. And yes, I would consider starting him.

Edit: I actually would use him in the exact role you have used him successfully. I wouldn't mess with success.

Updated Tuesday, April 5 2016 @ 2:45:57 pm PDT
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I don't know that I would advise holding onto him. But certainly no reason to drop him right away if you have other on the chopping block. I'm sure you can find a better prospect in FA though.

EDIT: Tiger makes a good point though. He has pretty good numbers consistently. Control can be a pretty important factor in pitcher consistency.

Updated Tuesday, April 5 2016 @ 3:06:12 pm PDT
Tiger504

Kalamazoo Bloody Tigers
IV.7

Broken Bat Baseball
Another factor in his favor is his age. If nothing else, he can eat innings for several seasons to come. If he was 30+ I might look at him differently.
BrianV

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
RE: how he would be if not LL6...

I'm not making claims he would be great, but he's outperformed every pitcher on my team, all of whom have far better ratings. I can't attribute that only to being in LL6, or else my other pitchers should be over performing as well.

I'll probably keep him as my spot starter for next season and ride out his success until it disappears.

Updated Tuesday, April 5 2016 @ 5:20:39 pm PDT
Yuri84

Apple Valley Raccoons
III.2

Broken Bat Baseball
He's got the highest control in your team, and high control guys often do wonders at LL.VI. And I wouldn't really say he's outperformed your other guys, his numbers aren't the best in the team and only slightly better than most of your other pitchers.

So he's good for LL.VI and perhaps can do okayish at LL.V depending on the opponent squads, but I wouldn't really bet on that. The competition seems to get stronger every season.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
He also has a pretty good GB/FB ratio.

I'd guess its a combination of underrating, good control (possibly also underrated), GB/FB, weak competition, and a bit of luck.

Previous Page | Show All |