Discussion Forum

Forum >> Discussions >> MVP calculation still seems wierd...   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
amalric7

New York Lancers
V.4

Broken Bat Baseball
@Rock - Wright's K:BB ratio is actually 117:67. And he does have a lot of CS (34) for all those SB. Oliver does better in total XBH (96 to 94), in AVG (.312 to .294) and in RBI (121 to 96).

But I think 99% of us when given the choice would take Wright. Desired behaviour? Possibly. An older guy with higher SI & POT on a first place team might have the edge...

...but its not quite the case in @Spoon's example.

The winner hit .359 over a full season and had over 100 points of OPS on the runner-up, plus played C as opposed to DH - and for a team that was demoted in 5th place (as opposed to 1st for the runner-up). But he was younger, though he had the higher SI & POT, and the #2 guy has the stats we'd all want - though again, I think we'd all choose player #1.

As @Yuri says, higher SI & POT seems a defining factor on this (limited) evidence.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I did mess up his Ks, but he still has a comparable ratio. I think his SBs and HRs should have pushed him over, but I guess it could be the popularity/winning team thing.

Personally, I'm ok if the best guy doesn't always win. Just like to see it usually be the best guy.

I'd actually rather have the 1st guys numbers in Spoon's example. Higher OBP and higher SLG means he is producing more. Although I would have thought the votes would go to the guy with 45 HRs.
Spoonerific

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I'd rather have both guys honestly. But my point was that the vote was heavily toward the high BA, high OBS guy rather than the high HR, high RBI guy. Maybe playing strictly DH is the reason but I have always been under the assumption MVP was strictly an offensive award and why no one brings up defensive numbers. I might be wrong/ misguided.

The issue I have though is philosophical. Is it better to get on base and be left there (basically why the MVP is on a team that is demoting) or to produce runs. The end goal isn't to get on base, it is to score runs.

Is it more impressive to have a BA of .359 vs. .319 or to have 45 HRs vs. 19 HRs?
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I think its more impressive to have a 1.033 OPS. I also don't think a great player should be punished because the rest of his team underperforms.

But I agree with your general sentiment. It should be an offensive award, and I would have expected the HR guy to get the nod in real life.

Updated Saturday, June 25 2016 @ 11:41:28 am PDT
Spoonerific

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
@Rock777
I agree that he shouldn't be punished and I think he should have won the award but it was overwhelming in his favor. Also he played in the weaker side of the division especially as far as pitching goes.

If he put up all those numbers playing an even schedule I could see him being the far better playing but getting to play 2 team with over 5 ERAs in their division versus my team who had none over 5 could mean the OBPS is slightly inflated. The 2nd place guy wasn't that far off at .946.

Of course the numbers for our division could just be the product of poor offensive players comparatively too.

Which is why I don't understand why each side doesn't get an MVP and Cy Young... or why we can't play the same schedule (80 games DIV, 800 games INTERL)
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
@Spoon, 80 inter-division games literally cannot be divided evenly across the 6 teams in the other division. Right now we play 10 games each against the 6 teams in the other division, and 20 games each against the 5 other teams in our division. If you do the math you'll see why the schedule is unbalanced (11 other teams in the league and 160 game schedule).

Edit: As to why each side doesn't get one, there are only SIX (6) teams per side, or 12 in the league. In real life each league has fifteen (15) teams, thus in an entire Broken Bat league you have fewer than the number of teams that make up the AL or NL. Absolutely no reason why each side should get one. Any voting system will anyways be subjective in its weighting. Besides controversy gets people to talk about the subject. Sure, it might be "better" if the formula was changed somehow, but right now it makes people talk, which is actually a nice thing not having the board be dead on season flip weekend. Just saying...

Updated Saturday, June 25 2016 @ 12:30:35 pm PDT
Spoonerific

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
It would be more balanced than now though with only 2 games of difference rather than 40.

EDIT: I suppose you're right... I should stop commenting on anything. Not like what I say makes a difference, even when I'm right someone like you complains because the system works for them. Spoon out.

Updated Saturday, June 25 2016 @ 12:37:42 pm PDT
Maksim

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
@Rock total agree...
Dan6176

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I think the right guy won in Spoons league. The guy participated in 11 DPs as a catcher. MVP is for the best well rounded player, not just the best offesive player. I think there should be Silver Slugger awards to acknowledge the best offensive players. I'm not against a DH being a MVP, but I think this DH would have to have hit 5-10 more HRs and about 20 more RBIs before I would have chose him over the C.

Spoon, your DH had a great season and deserves recognition.

Updated Thursday, June 30 2016 @ 9:51:44 pm PDT
Maksim

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
@aboveme don't say that..

Previous Page | Show All |