Discussion Forum

Forum >> Discussions >> Season Flip Surprises (the good, the bad and the ugly)   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
The Good:
"Deadeye" Oono - Not only did Oono not go into decline this year. Somehow he also forgot to ask for a raise. After jumping 2 Million each year for the last two seasons, I was totally expecting to have to pay him 7.5 million this season.

Troy Norris - At 32 I expected a big decline this season, but Norris only visibly declined in speed. Crossing my fingers that big declines didn't happen in the sub ranges.

The Bad:
Keandre "Sheriff" Robertson got a significant hit this year. At 31 he's already in his second year of decline. A bit of a disappointment for the homegrown starter (who maybe can't start anymore since he has already lost two points of stamina).

The Ugly:
"Sunny" Jack Meadows - It's no surprise he got hit hard this year at the age of 34, but its still ugly. He got hit really hard last year too. He started declining in speed at the age of 29 (before he peaked in his other skills). At this point he has lost 2 Hitting, 2 BC, 2 PD, 2 Power, 3 speed, 1 fielding, 1 Arm, and 3 Range. Starting to look ugly...

Updated Wednesday, June 29 2016 @ 11:57:51 pm PDT
Favuz

Oxnard Sunsets
IV.3

Broken Bat Baseball
Good surprises: Copeland (turned 33) and Underwood (turned 32) still have to lose points from their peak.

Bad:
Bell -6 (need a LOOGY next season badly, for 2028 he can do the job)

Perkens -4 (last year as a starter, i have a guy in the minors who'll replace him in 2029)

Jennings -7 (Expected, he's 35 but i hope he can still do the job, last year was all star and all league at 34)

the other ones had lose points as expected (1 point of speed or 1-2 points but nothing dramatic)
Holmes

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
The Good:
No significant increase in overall payroll. Bizarre enough, the pitchers actually tacked on more salary than the position players, even though my pitching sucked big time last season, including the two arms with the big pay hikes. After the cuts late last season, I'm starting with a very affordable roster and would have the payroll flexibility to spend on a veteran starter or lefty bat - if I could find one.
Position players haven't delined much. Alfaro lost some thump, and his defensive skills make him worse at 1B (I already have a DH...), but everyone else is only losing a bit of speed, and there is plenty of that left in my lineup.
The Bad:
Pitching is the definite weakness of my team, and it just got worse. It was obvious that Tapia wouldn't be able to withstand father time yet again, but Rosario at 31 losing velocity and movement, which he both wasn't very good at to begin with, is a bit of a bummer. Rosario was the only positive surprise in my rotation last season, and I have nobody to replace either him or Tapia with.
The Ugly:
My attempts to ease the difficult pitching situation, at least for the nearer future, haven't started out well. I got nothing in the first two waiver rounds, and the Asian pitcher I drafted is about the same quality as all the fringe guys I already have.
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
I'm not able to follow the format. Flip went much as expected.

One thing I would mention is how well things have gone with Larsen.

I had landed a few players before Larsen with similar profiles - several productive seasons, similar age - and the salaries of those players skyrocketed. I expected Larsen to be the same, and only play a season or two for the Dinos before I felt his salary was untenable.

But it never happened. His production has continued to be very good, but his salary stayed reasonable. Now we are considering moving him to 1B to extend his Dino caree.
Maksim

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball

Updated Friday, July 1 2016 @ 1:20:49 pm PDT
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
There were 500 other players who had no opinion. If you consider their responses, that is the normal etiquette if you have no opinion.
Mcdoogle

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
The good:

Arevalo and Meyer managed to avoid the Update #0 monster, relatively unscathed afterwards. Plus Meyer had a huge season and only went up .20M :) No huge salary jumps, in fact my players that had great seasons either went up a tiny bit or even lost salary.

Ugly: None. Thankfully.

Bad: My pitching is old and #0 went as expected, which is why my minors is 80% pitching :)

Managed to escape this year, next year we'll see.
amalric7

New York Lancers
V.4

Broken Bat Baseball
The Good

Not much. Two of my best power hitters Parisi (31) and Dorsey (30) lost a point of speed each, but neither run anyway. My most consistent P the last two years King (32) only lost points in stamina and range. Riley (33) lost a point off velocity which was enough to drop him 2 SI, but he's not aged badly - his main problem is he's an above-average across the board lefty, and occasionally gets lit up.

The Bad

My C Zuniga (32) and 1B Filippini (34) both lost points in hitting and power. Zuniga was -5 overall but I kinda expected that, and have two young guys ready to replace him; Filippini was -3 overall and I also have two younger guys to replace him - I'm just a little reluctant to part with either vet right away (and as it happens its not like I'm winning any waiver claims that I need to clear space anyway). Two of my top three pitchers from last year that I signed last off-season (Silva, Contreras) turned 33 and were both hit hard, but I expected that - and they'll be pitching again this season, because I don't have anyone better to replace them!

The Ugly

As I've lamented on here many times before team captain "Electric" Edgar Fuentes didn't make his debut until he was 31-years old, thanks to previous mis-management. He was Rookie of the Year in 2026 and has been an All-Star both of his two seasons, finishing 4th in MVP voting last year. While most everyone else saw their numbers dip last year playing in a higher league Edgar actually got better, leading by example. But he's been slaughtered by ageing, a combined -10 SI the last two off-seasons (I'm sure his SI was up to 113 by the end of 2026). But he'll keep going out there because I have no-one to replace him, and while there are better hitters and better fielders available on waivers or free agency, there is no-one who does both better than Edgar. If he ever breaks down (only 9 games missed total in two seasons) we'd be in trouble, so fingers crossed (again)...
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
The Good:

Kirby and Krause only lost a point of speed each. Wallace and Guzman lost nothing. On the pitching side Hubbard lost a lot of points, but still has a plus pitch by Raleigh standards. Thus the rental will be kept at least for the start of a second season.

The Bad:

Doyle and Reyna both lost multiple points in the hitting categories. Admittedly, these are the first points Doyle has lost outside of range and speed, and he is 34, but it still hurt. The lineup already struggled last season, and these two players going into decline is a problem unless some of the young players can get decisively better. Cardona lost a lot of points, but managed to avoid the ugly list by not losing a point in CoS which is his best pitch. The loss of another point in stamina and control means likely fewer 8+ inning starts and more going to the bullpen this season though.

The Ugly:

I won two new guys to bolster my major league bullpen until my guys in AAA are ready, however both Hardy and Livingstone are fairly marginal at this point, and so figuring out where to get them the innings they need to develop (and my team needs them to eat) will be interesting. I have already placed them where I want them to start the season, but may make more changes to roles than I have the past few seasons when guys pretty much did as well as I could have expected where I put them.

Edit: Also Ito only gained two SI last season despite starting 155 games. That solidly qualifies as ugly, even though it isn't season flip related.

Updated Sunday, July 3 2016 @ 9:19:42 am PDT

Previous Page | Show All |