Discussion Forum

Forum >> Discussions >> Things I should know as a firs time manager?   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
In general you want to just get all the best pitchers and hitters you can simultaneously. And keep a good mix of players so that you have your replacements planned out for each roster spot as guys age and retire. If you do want to focus on pitching, the one place you could do that is with the draft. I'd still always suggest taking the best guy available, but if its close between a pitcher and a hitter and you want to focus on pitching, take the pitcher.
Haselrig

Novi Doubledays
IV.8

Broken Bat Baseball
Here's a manager that's a good teacher and is still available: http://brokenbat.org/manager/2668
Lavernius_Jetto

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
thast the same as my manager!
Haselrig

Novi Doubledays
IV.8

Broken Bat Baseball
"Excellent's" as good a teaching report as you can get. It just comes down to finding one with positives in the other areas this offseason for you then.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Manager skills reveal over time. That guy Haselrig posted is not all 10s. His Defense will be below 10, so he is worse then your current guy in defense. But he is be MUCH better with both pitching and player development.

Reference the last post on this thread of what the manager reports mean.

BTW, managers don't grow. They reveal. So that guy has 14+ in development now. His true skill just hasn't been revealed.

Your current manager is an old style manager (no report). He is 10s across the board.

EDIT: BTW, taking a guy like this is another way you can "focus" on pitching. "Good" is the highest rating available for pitching.

Updated Friday, October 7 2016 @ 10:30:07 am PDT
Lavernius_Jetto

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
if I set defaults for my lineup, is that wise? will the game put my players in optimal lineup order?
Haselrig

Novi Doubledays
IV.8

Broken Bat Baseball
I'd try to set them yourself. This article can give you an idea of how to arrange your guys until you get a better feel for the game and your players.
amalric7

New York Lancers
IV.2

Broken Bat Baseball
Interesting article, Haselrig.

My #1 hitter has always been obvious, Lawson. Great hitter, above average slugger, really quick (but not that great at stealing bases, or at least as much as I would like: 73-for-104 in 359 games).

#2 guy is usually Fletcher, great hitter (19) and bat control (17), no power (8).

#4 hitter should be Parisi, who is something of an enigma. Outlier seasons in 2025 (low) and 2026 (high), and who hit 34 HR in 2027 but batted just .202 at home when we had a hitters park, and hit 22 HR in 2028 and batter .282 at home when we had a pitchers park. Anyway, his hit (16), plate discipline (17) and power (18) all play here.

Which would mean Dorsey belongs at the #5 spot? According to the old-school-book yes, but The Book says "put your next best hitter here, unless he lives and dies with the long ball". Dorsey is a very good hitter with power (17, 17), so this last statement suggest perhaps the #3 spot.

Complicating all this, my best player - and reigning MVP - is Ortiz. Great hitter (19), with very good bat control (17) and some power (14, 30 HR last season). He is definitely my best hitter, but would be wasted at #1 and #2 and has less power than the #4 guy, which means #3 or #5..?

I've had Ortiz at #4 since early last season, because the simple fact is he has decent power and hits for such a high average, while Parisi's below average BC (8) means he fluctuates wildly - which is kinda the idea at #4, but I prefer regular production. Dorsey has always hit better at the #6 spot, for some reason, though having him at #3 seems to be working so far this season. I also like Ortiz at #3 because he's the youngest of the group by a few years, starting ages:-

1. Lawson, 30
2. Fletcher, 29
3. Dorsey, 31
4. Ortiz, 27
5. Parisi, 32

Fuentes used to hit somewhere between #3-#5, but he's 34 and I'm trying to give more time at SS to Lopez, who's a better fielder but a very average hitter. 1B is split between two opposites: Barrett, a great hitting/decent slugging guy with no BC or PD; and Moody, a good hitting/above average slugging guy with excellent BC and PD. Vallejo is a #2 hitter and will be a better fielding 2B than Dorsey. I've got a couple of prolific sluggers needing time (and getting some) and more in AAA on the way.

Thoughts?
Lavernius_Jetto

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
why cant I release players anymore??
nemesis

Brooklyn Dodgers
IV.6

Broken Bat Baseball
Simple - you haven't been here long enough.

New managers have to wait 25 (or 30?) days before you can make wholesale changes to your roster. Its weird, because in the first few days you can release almost anyone, but then the limits kick in and you can only release certain players. The logic is (1) that it prevents someone from taking over a team and dumping all the best players into free agency, and (2) it prevents new managers from making dumb mistakes.

I've been through it. Strangely, I could release some of my best players (not that I wanted to) and some of the worst, but not all of the lousy ones I wanted to move on - until the 'newbie limit' had passed. Then you can act with impunity.

It can get to be a drag if you're wanting to put in waiver claims or sign free agents but have no roster space, and/or you want to remove the dead wood from your roster and can't, but it's a necessary rule.

Previous Page | Show All |