Discussion Forum

Forum >> Discussions >> Relief pitching   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
jackozar

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Hi all,

A bit buffled by what happened in my last game, won 4-3. In the seventh, my starter reached the limit and was replaced, the reliever threw 1 out, then was replaced in the eight by the closer, who was the replaced by the mr. Given that I would never want this to happen, as my mr is a youngster, does somebody know how to avoid those? Why didn't another setup guy come in instead?

Thanks
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Mullins threw 34 pitches. What do you have his pitch count set to?
Crazy Li

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
A lot of this is based on your settings.

Your closer's first inning is set to 8, isn't it? That means he's ALWAYS going to come in when it's a save situation in the 8th inning or later (unless you've messed with the RD settings to change the run situation that triggers him). This is why a reliever only recorded one out to finish the 7th and then the closer came in to do his job in the 8th (real teams do this, except with a SU in the 8th... but a pitcher closing the inning and not coming out to start the next isn't that uncommon)

Next, as Rock suggested, your closer is on a pitch count... I'm guessing 30. So once he exceeds that number, he will be pulled, regardless of the situation. It then tries to run through the algorithm to find the next pitcher that meets the current criteria and is available.

Since you only have one SU, who already pitched, it had to skip SU. Next should probably be RHS, but if he was too fatigued or you had settings that prevented him from entering in that situation, that would explain it skipping on down to MR.

Long story, short... if you're trying to get your CL to pitch 9th inning only, set that as his first inning. If you want him to stay 8th + 9th, you'll need to double his pitch count so he has enough room for both innings.

You also wanna make sure not to have on settings that potentially block viable options. If you don't understand the RD settings in-depth, I highly recommend leaving them on the default (triangle) settings so as not to inadvertently prevent pitchers from pitching in appropriate situations. If you know what you're doing, though, they can be very useful in fine-tuning how your relievers get used.
jackozar

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Thanks

Previous Page | Show All |