Discussion Forum

Forum >> Discussions >> How important is Velocity?   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
GrizzlyDan

Atlanta Braves
IV.2

Broken Bat Baseball
So here's one of the more intriguing guys I inherited from the previous owner: Mario Barraza

Huge numbers except for Velocity. I figured I have a Gene Garber type, a curve-change artist with low endurance that can be an unconventional closer. I'm wondering if the CoS number is diminished by the lack of Vel, because he is less than dominant right now. He's young, and just got the callup this season, so he can get better (well, a little, as a 12). . .and the idiot previous owner stunted him a little by forgetting to move him to the Rookie level. Where would you slot this guy?

Updated Tuesday, October 11 2016 @ 6:51:51 pm PDT
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
He doesn't look stunted at all. He looks like a solid pitcher. I'd start him off at MR. If he ends up being a liability you can push him up to LR for training purposes. If he is excelling at MR you might even try him out as a SET.
amalric7

New York Lancers
V.4

Broken Bat Baseball
Agree with Rock, he looks like a decent reliever who has made good progress all the way through. Not sure why he had just 68 IP in 2024 but it didn't hurt his development from the look of it. If he caps out, even better.
occham

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I'm a long way from an expert but from what I've found, as long as the pitcher has at least one high stat in Vel, CoS, or Mov, he can do ok. The 10/10/10/20 guys.. guys who have great control over basically mediocre pitches - seem to get shelled way worse than the 10/10/20/10 types.

He looks like a solid reliever prospect to me, particularly in VI. I would have no problem trotting him out there and see how he does.
JJNZ

Yakima Monster
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
Here's an example of a guy who was my ace last season and has a fastball that would struggle to reach 80 by the looks. I look at him as being somewhat similar to Marco Estrada

http://brokenbat.org/player/105269

My aim is for him to be an innings eating back of the rotation guy hopefully with an ERA less than 5 and so far he's well exceeded that.

So the short answer is, velocity is only as important as you want it to be!

Updated Thursday, October 13 2016 @ 4:15:04 am PDT
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Unfortunately I don't think it's as important as it is in real life. Good fastballs here don't strike out nearly enough batters and they give up too many home runs. I still prefer my pitchers to have some heat, but it's not nearly as important as not being wild.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
too many home runs

This is a problem I've found with a lot of my Fastball pitchers. It's compounded if they can't keep the ball down. I would stay away from Fastball pitchers with low GB/FBs, even if their control is really good. Feng (linked above) has pretty good control, but he gives up a TON of HRs.

Previous Page | Show All |