Discussion Forum

Forum >> Discussions >> Various Draft Player Pools   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Rock, I'm not sure what numbers you're looking at for Phillieswoeld, but he hasn't been nearly as lucky as you said. I can only see his last 68 picks. Only 15 of them have been 13 potential or higher for a rate of 22%, a far cry from the 50+% you stated. Of those he's had three 14s and one 15, for a homer rate of 6%. That isn't good.

13s are okay, especially if they're pitchers, but if you want to be highly successful in the game you need better players. I was curious about that so I just did a quick check of the top 10 teams and then teams 101 thru 110. Here are the results for the current major league rosters with the top 10 teams first and 101-110 second.

Position players with 14+ potential: 55% to 33%.

Pitchers with 14+ potential: 31% to 23%.

Pitchers with 13+ potential: 87% to 63%.

16 potential players: 3 to 0.

15 potential players: 24 to 13.

I think it's important to note that the second group consists of very good teams. They're still in the top sixth of Brokenbat, but the quality of players they have is considerably lower.

Player acquisition is paramount. Unfortunately this game doesn't distribute talent evenly.

Updated Thursday, December 15 2016 @ 11:47:56 pm PST
amalric7

New York Lancers
V.4

Broken Bat Baseball
@Mike - I think Rock was going on Philliesworld's own numbers posted above, with 14 players rated 12-POT or below and 17 players rated 13-POT and above (which is more than 50%), rather than on the actual draft results. Your numbers are correct.
Philliesworld

Pierre Jacobins
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
@rock

I said great draft choices.

I'm not complaining. I consider my drafting average to below average, considering 8 of the 10 seasons were spent in III.3
Compared to your draft choices, I've been successful, but compared to the average teams drafting its not been very good. Some teams are drafting several 15 pot. Per season, considering their in VI, or V, while I have had three 15 pot. and three 14 pot. in ten seasons.

Also

"A clear example of someone whose expectations are set WAY to high."

I admit that I have certain expectations, and there reasonably high but just look at what people are posting on the weekly draft forum. I don't think there way to high.
Yet again as my parents keep saying, "how would you know your only sixteen"

Finally,
You(rock) might not have had the the best luck in draft choices. Hence, that makes your success in Brokenbat all the more admirable.
Philliesworld

Pierre Jacobins
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
I also forgot to mention that I drafted a 15 potential pitcher this morning. Which will be my 4th in 102 picks.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball

I consider my drafting average to below average, considering 8 of the 10 seasons were spent in III.3 Compared to your draft choices, I've been successful, but compared to the average teams drafting its not been very good. Some teams are drafting several 15 pot.

I'm not trying to pick on you specifically, but this is exactly my point. I believe on the whole everyone's view of "average" is extremely inflated. Seeing a few teams that have gotten excessively lucky in the draft, people think its normal to be getting a POT 15 every year. But its not. Its REALLY good luck if you draw one POT 15 in a given year. If you pull three or more guys who have more than 13 POT, then you are doing well above average. There is a skewed perception of average across the game.

Its kind of like a guy making 100K a year sitting in a bar complaining to a bunch of guys making 50K a year how poorly he is paid. You may think you are doing badly, but compared to most folks you aren't; its just annoying for folks who actually do have bad luck to hear folks with good luck complaining about their bad draft luck.

EDIT: I have drafted 0 POT 15s in over 100 draft picks.

Updated Friday, December 16 2016 @ 5:50:00 am PST
Philliesworld

Pierre Jacobins
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
Point taken.

Philliesworld

Pierre Jacobins
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
If I get several 13s per season throw in a 12 or two. I am very very happy.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball

Position players with 14+ potential: 55% to 33%.

Pitchers with 14+ potential: 31% to 23%.

Pitchers with 13+ potential: 87% to 63%.

16 potential players: 3 to 0.

15 potential players: 24 to 13.

So Haverhill would have been included in the top 10. Haverhill's individual stats compared to the second group:

Position players with 14+ potential: 35% to 33%.

Pitchers with 14+ potential: 9% to 23%.

Pitchers with 13+ potential: 72% to 63%.

16 potential players: 0 to 0.

15 potential players: 1 to 1.3 per team.

So I have a slight advantage on POT 13 pitchers, but significantly fewer POT 14 pitcher; so in reality I have less POT in my pitching staff. And fewer POT 15 players. Looks like the 100-109 ranked teams are better off than me. That's the problem with looking at such small sample size. A couple outliers can really throw off your numbers.

MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Of course there is not a steady line from number one to dead last with high potential players, but it goes mostly downhill with some rises scattered about. Also, I didn't compare the best team to the worst. I compared 10 teams to 10 teams (all good ones at that), 264 players to 271 players. You can argue that's a small sample size, but I would disagree.
Heck, as you pointed out, YOU are the outlier in the top teams. 8 of the other 9 have at least 50% of their position players with 14 potential or higher. Only 2 of the 101-110 teams do.

Feel free to go through every team in Brokenbat and see for yourself. I think it's obvious--better teams have better players. That generally means better potential. That isn't all there is to it, but it's the most reliable way to start.

I'll put it another way, would you rather draft a 14 potential player without knowing any of his attributes or a 12 potential who can be a very good hitter? I'd take the 14 every day of the week and I bet most owners would, too.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I'm sure you are correct. Its simply logical. And there is a lot of luck involved in acquisition, but there is also work involved. Some of the lower rank teams are managed by lazy bots (or bots wannabees). Some people don't draft every round. Some people don't scout the wires. I guess my point is, you can be successful at high levels with a team full of POT 13s, and you can get enough POT 13s to field a good team once you've been playing the game for a few seasons. Its only logical that better players will make your team more successful, but player quality is a lot more than POT. POT is only an indicator. There are plenty of POT 14s that go on waivers that I don't put claims in for. With good player evaluation, you can be successful with 13s (and 12s for DH and RPs). Luck is tempered by skill, as it is in any well designed game.

EDIT: I would probably take the POT 14, but it really depends on their builds. That POT 12 could have a perfect DH buid, while the POT 14 might be a dud hitter with 20 speed.

Updated Friday, December 16 2016 @ 7:20:33 am PST

Previous Page | Show All |