Discussion Forum

Forum >> Discussions >> All-Time Greatness   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
buffmckagan

Scranton Bears
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
What do you guys consider to be the baseline for all time greatness?

For MLB, I feel like it's 3000 hits, 500 home runs, 300 wins...what do Broken Bat players have to do to be the best of all time? Especially since player quality decreases at a quicker rate than MLB players, I would argue.

Just curious to know anyone's thoughts.
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I've seen similar threads seasons ago, but I couldn't locate them so here we go. Most careers here are shorter. Players tend to make it to the majors later and then, as you said, decline earlier. It probably makes for a better game, but career numbers definitely suffer. As a result, guys who make it to the big leagues at an early age and/or don't decline as quickly can have better overall stats than superior players. Then there's the problem of league levels. If someone plays in V and VI their whole career, they can easily outperform those at the top of the ladder. Also, just like MLB, you have to separate eras. Comparing early Brokenbat players to current ones is like comparing nineties baseball to the dead ball era. Okay, that's probably an exaggeration, but you get my drift.

Okay, but answer the question already! Fine, fine. I'll attempt it blindly without looking up any players, thinking of only present-day Brokenbat.

2000 hits. 350 homers. 900 OPS.

200 wins. 2000 strikeouts. 2.99 ERA. 1.099 WHIP.
Dan6176

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I agree with those numbers Mike. I haven't checked if he's been retired, but the all time HR leader has been around since the first season and his total is in the mid 500 range. 12 solid seasons seems like a long career in this game.
Dan6176

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
http://brokenbat.org/player/3211 This is who I was talking about. He's still playing with a 17 skill index and hasn't hit over. 250 since 2023.
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Gulf Breeze and Green Bay both have players approaching 50 who they keep playing. The only cool thing about it is we have actual examples of what the regression looks like all the way down. Also, there is the race to zero, personally I'm rooting for Cohen.

Edit: Also the fact that Butler made the All-star team in 2023 at age 42 with an SI of 52 tells you the quality difference between most of LL VI and the higher leagues. There are those rare LL VI teams that have been re-built and can compete with anyone, but they don't stay down in VI very long after that process is underway.

Updated Tuesday, November 8 2016 @ 8:37:12 am PST
Deuce

New London Rippers
V.3

Broken Bat Baseball
So what stats would you say is appropriate to put a guy in your club's hall of fame?
Crazy Li

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
For my team hall of fame? Probably less strict than a game-wide HoF...

The only guy I have in mine right now only has about 1500 hits, but he does have over 300 HRs and over .800 OPS. Better than 1000 RBIs... I figure that's good enough.

Another deciding factor is racking up all-star and all-league awards while on the team.
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Deuce, every team's different so it's difficult making a standard. Here's where I'd start. Go to your statistics page and click on the little crown icon or whatever that is at the bottom left portion of the page. Look at all your team records. If one guy is at or very near the top in a few stats, he probably deserves to be in your Hall. When I did that exercise with your team, I saw one position player and one pitcher that I think deserve consideration. One of the two I'd have no problem electing immediately; the other I'd probably wait on. I won't say who either is, but I bet you can determine them fairly easily.

Thinking a bit further in general terms, I guess the only hard and fast rules I would use are:

Pitchers must have at least 100 wins or 200 saves AND be in the top ten for ERA.

Position players must be in the top three for at least one classic category: H, HR, RBI, BA, SB. I might ease the slack a little for a fantastic defensive player, especially catchers since they miss a lot of games, but they still better be knocking on the door with their bat.
buffmckagan

Scranton Bears
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
I've noticed that guy - would you even consider that record to be legitimate if he's been kept in the game that long?
brentswagger

Lakeville Bears
IV.2

Broken Bat Baseball
I have only put one guy in my Hall of Fame. I try to keep mine exclusive so I plan to add a player every few seasons. I look at their all time statistics but I do put a fair amount of weight in all-star and all-league selections and other awards. My present SS Francisco Salas looks like a lock when he retires but he is still my every day shortstop at age 33. 7 time all star. 2 time all league. 1910 career hits. 167 HR. 352 SB. His speed is pretty much done with 2 SB this season but he is an all star with a .314 avg this year. He is also only .006 behind his single season best OPS. He looks like a full time starter for at least one more season. He is also having his best fielding year ever.

Updated Thursday, November 17 2016 @ 7:53:54 am PST

Previous Page | Show All |