Discussion Forum

Forum >> Discussions >> Time To Pull The Plug?   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
brentswagger

Lakeville Bears
IV.2

Broken Bat Baseball
When do you pull the plug on a player saying they just won't be good enough? I have a few young guys that were in my minors when I took over that are now hitting the majors. None seem all that spectacular. How about this guy? He seems like maybe a bench guy but I just don't think he will ever hit enough to nail down a regular job at OF or 1B. Is he worth worrying about trying to develop?

http://brokenbat.org/player/106313
Crazy Li

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
If you can afford to, it's not a terrible idea to see how McDougal develops at least. He's only 24 and with sufficient playing time, can reasonably gain 5 or 6 SI over the next couple of seasons, assuming he has that much room left.

He should gain at least 2 more hitting... but maybe 4 more if you're lucky. He might even get a pop or 2 in power.

He most likely will never be a great player, but at least a guy who could contribute. I'd personally look for better options out of a starting 1B/OF... at LL4, I don't anticipate him hitting better than around .250 with teen home runs.
brentswagger

Lakeville Bears
IV.2

Broken Bat Baseball
I have been viewing him as a guy OK to have around but I don't think I will put any extra effort into getting him extra at bats or anything because I just feel long term he is depth.
Noodle

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
He has a bad 1st basemen build. I don't believe he will ever hit well enough to justify giving him at bats. I would likely pull the plug if it were me.
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
He has a very good defensive outfielder build. I wouldn't hesitate to keep him for the same reason I have kept Arteaga (to be the gazelle that helps the team range aggregate minimize opposing hits).
Dan6176

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
He looks like he could play cf and rf as a late inning defensive replacement. I'd give him a little more time to see if he can contribute offensively.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I wouldn't know...
Crazy Li

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
If, you're upset about that guy, I'd be happy to take him off your hands, Rock.
brentswagger

Lakeville Bears
IV.2

Broken Bat Baseball
@ Rock. A nice example of one of those guys that we all hang onto. We see 17 hitting and the very good hitter comment and we hope. This guy is now 29, has 1500 at bats and has a career .217 BA. He looks like a guy that the scouting report isn't very accurate and I doubt he ends up doing much ever. I haven't been around long enough to see a guy like this turn things around.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Crazy, you can have him once I find a decent 3B. I have had horrible luck at 3B. None of them have worked out... Right now I am playing one of my SS at 3B... He is doing ok, but I think he will probably get hit by the sophomore jinx.

Sometimes guys turn it around through development. Cunningham is a good example of that. But I'm pretty sure Izquierdo is a lost cause. Would have pulled the trigger on him last year if I had someone to replace him...

Previous Page | Show All |