Discussion Forum

Forum >> Discussions >> to those who have to those who need   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
It's arbitrary because the low rated team gets stuck with some random player they can't use. Do they then automatically lose their lowest SI player? That would be tough luck for them. For high ranked teams its just like any other Thursday/Friday. No more skill than the weekly clearing a roster space choice that everyone has made a million times. Doesn't really add anything except complications. How do you equate me sticking another team is a bad player with a major league draft...?
terryhumphreys

Athens Gold
IV.5

Broken Bat Baseball
Hi Rock,

I am of the opinion that with the restrictions
that the player given up be under 33, have one year of major league experience, been with your team for at least one year, must have 200 major league at bats, main position not catcher if their skill index is under 95, is going to better than the player that the receiving might give up if they had 50 players on their roster.

The receiving team should have the option of declining the player with that player then be putting on the waiver wire.

My point with the draft is that most major league sports have ways of trying to spread the talent around to all teams.

g10rsh

Champaign Suzumebachi
VI.2

Broken Bat Baseball
I think that list is the main crux of the problem. that's 5 different things that can disqualify a player from the transfer and I'm pretty sure I could still find ways around it. (first base isn't all that important, or maybe I hide someone in left field. what are the rules if I want to give up a pitcher? etc.) It's a rabbit hole that I don't see ending.

This is a game where you go up in the ranks by understanding how the game works, and recruiting the right players. If the good teams were required to give away a player, the ones who found out how to give away the least important one would continue to be good, and the teams that gave away good players would begin dropping in ranks because they are losing talent faster than their peers.

If you want to improve your team, I suggest scouring the waivers 2-3 times a week to pick up unwanted drafts and players that higher level teams don't want anymore. There is a certain amount of luck but the longer you stick with it and the more claims you try to make the better your team will get. I usually go for between 10 and 30 claims in the span of a week.
buffmckagan

Scranton Bears
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
What's the point of that? Why should players who have taken a long time to build their teams essentially give away their players to be picked up by teams whose owners don't show often/bots?
Crazy Li

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Yeah, requiring teams to give up players is silly.

Guess what? Legends teams release players all the time who would dominate at the lower levels.

Heck, most throw-aways from LL1-3 would perform amazing at 4-5.

You don't have to force high-level teams to cut players... they already are release guys who aren't good enough to make an impact at their higher level of competition... but those same guys are actually superstars by the standards of the lower levels... so in that sense, it all kinda works out.

If you remain vigilant and know what to look for, you can easily identify talent to drastically improve your team. I've heard of several managers here who have built their teams on waivers and free agency... and have risen up.

I'd wager to say it's actually a lot harder for those teams in the top leagues to win because no one is throwing players at them that are better than what they already have.
terryhumphreys

Athens Gold
IV.5

Broken Bat Baseball
I see the early votes are running against my idea, but I am not ready to concede until the general managers on the west coast have voted..,,,
mytton

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I am happy to see ideas that give new/weak teams an opportunity to catch up a little to the established top teams in the game, but I'm afraid this one does not help.

There is a max of 17 position players on the roster, so I already have to release the 18th and 19th best position players. It is a rare case when the 17th player is significantly better than those.

In any case, many (if not most) teams do not use all 17 slots, so they would simply pick up (or keep) an extra player for the sole purpose of releasing them at season end, rather than releasing them straight away. This means a marginal player is kept on roster and not available to enterprising lower division teams when he otherwise would have been, which runs entirely counter to the aim of the exercise.
amalric7

New York Lancers
V.4

Broken Bat Baseball
I'm all for discussion but this is a pretty terrible idea.

It also wouldn't surprise me at all to see the owner of one of those teams at the bottom of the ladder cut their new player because they didn't see any value in him (whether they understand how the game works or not).

Luck only plays a little part in this game, the cream rises to the top, and that's down to skill and no little effort.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
If you want a better draft, than I'd suggest making suggestions to improve the existing draft mechanism.

Also worth noting, there are team at level VI that are better than teams at level III. They don't need the help. You constantly see teams rising and falling. A lot of the shooting stars are teams that started at LL-VI and then win their division every season for the next three seasons. It doesn't make sense to take away player from a struggling team in a high league, and give it to a rocketing team in the low league. The Ranking system is not able to capture these differences accurately enough to use it in determination of relative team strengths.
Jason2327

Abilene Patriots
III.2

Broken Bat Baseball
Not a good idea at all. Under your suggested plan I'm one of teams giving up a player,yet I'm going down to LL VI most likely for next season. I would not consider myself a team able to just let a player go for a "lower" ranked team to have

Previous Page | Show All |